1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help!-Bad Driveline Shudder When Put in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 11:47 PM
mlogan24
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, my brother and I just got done putting a new clutch in his 60 F-100. It has a 292 and a 3 speed manual. Since the clutch was put in it shifts well from 1-2 and 2-3, but from a standstill when he engages the clutch into first gear or reverse there is a very audible shudder that emenates from the driveline. When we were under there putting in the clutch I felt the pilot bearing but it seemed smooth and tight (just fyi-I'm sure it could be a problem), its also been mentioned to us that the pressure plate could be bad (the springs)? Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Did you resurface the flywheel?

Old 10-04-2001, 08:50 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

On my 312 F100 "56, when I bought the truck,the front engine mount bolts were too long and they bottomed out without contacting the front cross member. The engine would jump up and down as I released the clutch. Took me forever to isolate it and fix it with the proper bolts.

Old 10-04-2001, 03:06 PM
mlogan24
New User

Thanks for the replys. We did have the flywheel resurfaced and as far as the mount bolts, I guess anything is a possibility, but we didn't have any problems like this before the clutch went out.

Old 10-05-2001, 09:39 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

Hi, Here is a list of some possibilities from my '59 shop manual in the trouble diagnosis guide section (would also apply to '60). It states:
"Drive line vibration may be caused by clutch components. The more common causes are: wrong clutch disc for the engine; grease on the disc facings; release bearing cocked on it's hub; release lever out of plane; clutch housing misalignment; release fingers binding or uneven". I hope this helps.
Kenny

Old 10-08-2001, 10:56 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the pressure plate? If you didn't then do. You can save money and headaches by buying a complete clutch kit from Borg Warner at your local parts house. It comes with the disc pilot bearing throwout bearing pressure plate and a clutch aligning tool. All you have to do is resurface the fly wheel. What it sounds like si happening is the clutch is chattering because you have a different surface on each side of the disc one new and one old, the clutch won't like this. Good luck, Rich

Old 10-09-2001, 03:14 PM
mlogan24
New User

We did replace the pressure plate with a new one. My brother bought a new plate and clutch together. Oddly enough, the combo didn't come with a pilot tool, so we ended up having to manhandle the tranny while we lined up the clutch on the input shaft-PITA. Anyways, the problem is still there and now my brother said its starting to feel like it is slipping a little while in gear. We suspect that maybe the pressure plate springs weren't done right. We'll probably be pulling it back out in a few weeks. By the way, no one around here seems to have the right pilot tool-we checked every parts store. Does anyone know were we can get one? We're in Lodi, CA if you happen to know the area.

Old 10-09-2001, 08:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If you knew somebody with a wood lathe, they could make you one out of a piece of dowel rod or an old broom stick.

Old 10-10-2001, 01:00 AM
mlogan24
New User

Yeah, its kinda looking like we'll have to do something like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-10-2001, 12:45 PM
50yellowbeast
Senior User

I'm gonna be doing this project myself in a couple weeks.. I found a kit at Monument auto parts in Concord that includes everything including the clutch alignment tool. If your unable to find one at the local parts houses try www.summitracing.com they have just about everything.

Old 10-10-2001, 12:48 PM
50yellowbeast
Senior User