1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
my big ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonneau cover

whats the best setup, roll up, fold up or something else? need to put one on my new truck. prices are pretty steep on some of these tonneau covers. what are you guys using?. thanks. 07 supercab 4x4.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:43 PM
jorlee
Senior User
It all depends on your needs.

How often do you use your bed?

Does it need to be really secure?

I had Access on my previous Ranger. Never had any problems with it. I'm also biased toward Access, just cuz it made in North Dakota. www.accesscover.com

Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I had a cheap snap-on roll-up on my truck until recently, that was on it when I got it. I hated the thing, but it was just useful enough I never took it off (until I found a good deal on a used aluminum cap...).

When it would get cold, the vinyl would contract enough that it was about impossible to snap it back on, so I never took it off after Columbus Day because it wouldn't go back on until spring. It also wore out over the years, so it was no longer completely watertight, and the back row of snaps was on the verge of tearing off. If I put something small in the back, and then had to hit the brakes hard while driving, whatever was in there would slide to the front, and it was easier to slither in and grab whatever it was than undo the cover and get it (but I'm young and thin, so slithering in isn't that hard for me...).

On the other hand, it would keep whatever I put back there reasonably dry, out of sight (but not locked at all), and prevented anyone from throwing trash in the back.

If I was to be in the market for another tonneau cover, I'd avoid the cheap ones if at all possible. I've seen some where the cover snaps onto a frame that's hinged, and removable, which seems like the best idea to me. The roll-up type also look good, but I'm not crazy about having the rolled up piece at the front of the bed at the time.

I don't like ones that don't roll up, because there's quite a lot that won't fit under a tonneau (trust me), and if you happen to be out and buy something that won't fit...

Old 12-17-2006, 04:40 PM
jimw411
Elder User
In 2002 when i bought my truck, it came wint a fold in half plastic one from the factory, it kinda looks like the one on the Sportrac. It was a $900 option, so i told them to take it off, and the took the $900 off and let me keep it. I highly recommend the ******* fiberglass lid, it comes painted to match, and they have this new model called the x2000 that has hood type hinges and a 5 year old girl can open it with little effort. The roll up aluminum ones that kinda look like a garage door are pretty solid. They have a couple different colors to choose from and they are about the same price as the fiberglass ones. If you haul often and will need the lid off on a regular basis get the aluminum roll up one, but if you will hardly need the take it off the fiberglass one is my stylish. You're looking at spending $800-1000 for pretty much anything good.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
rubydist
Elder User
This would be one of those topics where you'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people...

I have a Lund rollup cover, and it works well for me. It attaches on the sides with Velcro, so its a lot easier to get on/off than the snap ones. The rollup part is nice, since it just rolls out of the way when I need it.

Like JD says, the box is pretty shallow, so there are lots of times the stuff you put in the bed won't fit under the cover - that's a big reason I stayed away from the flat fiberglass covers (along with their price), although they do look better.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 PM
my big ford
Senior User
thanks. i did a search on this subject and came out with way to much infro. ill have to decide whats best. i like the fold up ones that lock. buddy has one on his f150, looks real nice and easy to use. i have rail covers and ford bedliner from factory, will that be a problem?. thanks and keep em coming.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Joelski
Elder User
Does anyone still sell that two-piece hard cover that Ford offered as original equipment? What ever happened with it? I'm inclined to think it stunk as Ford quit offering it, but the idea was cool; access to the front of the bed as well as the back. I'd like one like it if anyone knows of a manufacturer that sells one (I've had no luck finding such).

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joelski
Does anyone still sell that two-piece hard cover that Ford offered as original equipment? What ever happened with it? I'm inclined to think it stunk as Ford quit offering it, but the idea was cool; access to the front of the bed as well as the back. I'd like one like it if anyone knows of a manufacturer that sells one (I've had no luck finding such).

Yeah, Id like one too! It was advertised in the 2003 Ranger brochure( I collect the brochures, yeah Im a nerd )

My friend has a tri-fold hard lockable cover on his Dodge Ram Mega Cab 2500, and the thing is sweet!!!

Ive just got a snap-on, roll-up and it does me fine but Id like one of the above mentioned.

Last edited by soundwave; 12-17-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Joelski
Elder User
There must be a reason why it was discontinued. I'd like to see someone come out with a two part cover with partitions like the original, though.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been very happy with my Undercover tonneau cover, and will definitely put one on my next truck! http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 AM
twoj05
Freshman User
I have had the two piece fold up Ford cover on my '02 and '03 FX4's. It was almost $900, but included the under rail bed liner as well. It is integral with the liner and includes a removable partition under the split. It also has a mechanism to lock/unlock the tailgate with the cover. It can fold in half and be secured, so that the back is completely open. While it is removable, it is quite heavy. I was disappointed to find out it had been discontinued. I would guess it was not a money maker, and it was only one of 3 or 4 options on the '03 Level II.

You might try a late model junk yard to find one off of a wreck. Sadly, there is one in Northern Illinois on a beautiful red '02 somewhere.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 AM
kellie_truxedo
Senior User
We have a new cover coming out in a couple months called the Truxedo Deuce. It's really cool because it has two functions. You can roll it up all the way just like the Truxedo Lo Profile, but you can also flip it up at the front to access the bed near the cab. So it has the best of both types of covers - rollup and hinge. You can check it out at truxedo.com. While you are at the website, check out the durability video. You'll be amazed.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
77460f150
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have 3 "Full Tilt" tonneau covers from extang on my trucks. I really like these covers because they raise up from the rear for complete access to your bed. They also can be completely removed from your truck in less than 30 seconds so you can have your full open box for hauling over size loads. -Ed

http://www.extang.com/docs/fulltilt.html

Last edited by 77460f150; 12-18-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Joelski
Elder User
Originally Posted by kellie_truxedo
We have a new cover coming out in a couple months called the Truxedo Deuce. It's really cool because it has two functions. You can roll it up all the way just like the Truxedo Lo Profile, but you can also flip it up at the front to access the bed near the cab. So it has the best of both types of covers - rollup and hinge. You can check it out at truxedo.com. While you are at the website, check out the durability video. You'll be amazed.
Any chance of blantantly copying the one we're talking aboot?

Quick Reply: tonneau cover