Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Test drive w/ dealer (5.4/6.8/PSD), I win!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drive w/ dealer (5.4/6.8/PSD), I win!

long story short.......been saving, tax time around the corner, THOUGHT, just THOUGH about throwing a heafty down payment on a newer SD (not brand new)! found a couple at a local dealer to "TEST"!

ok here's the trucks

1) 06, 5.4, auto, 4x4, x-cab, short bed, XLT, BONE stock F250 (15K miles)
-results: WHY, oh WHY would you get a 5.4L!?!?! ok it had ok power, ok cruzin. but just "feels" so slugish!

2) 05, 6.8L. 4x4, auto, x-cab, short bed, Lariat, stock F250 (32K miles)
-results: it's a V10, nothing more to say!!

3) 06, PSD, 4x4, auto, x-cab, short bed, Lariat, stock F250 (18K miles)
-results: turbo lag sux, great for cruzin at like 65mph, light to light is slugish, No pep till apx 15 psi boost (to long to wait for me)

now to the salesmen's comments.........as like almost every ford dealer he said a PSD is the only way to go, he don't know why they even put gasers in SD (acording to a sales man that owns a neon, remember that)!

well after seeing a 05 V10 on the lot i got curious........and i told him before we even talk $, it's test drive time! he said only if i drive truck #3 first.........off we went! and he was talkin up that PSD till no days end........so i said watch this (at a stop light).........opisite lite turned RED, my light turned GREEN, i HAMMERED on it, wait wait there's the boost, then we took of like a shot.......(as he's going "feel all that power, i'll get you to give up that gasser)! mind you the tires didn't even break loose. we got cruising, 60 mph i hammered on it again.......delay delay, boost there we go again (same comments from salesman)!

we got back to the lot, he said well lets try a 5.4, the gas milage is better, and there's plenty of power, more than you'll ever need..........off to drive truck #1........that was not worth the 15min test drive, would not fit MY needs (not to say it might fit others needs), but not my cup of tea for a SD engine! now to the one i ORIGINALY wanted to drive

truck #2 we get to the same stop light out side the dealer ship, i told the salesman i bet i can change your mind.........he said " go for it"........light GREEN.....foot to the floor, one-wheel-peel and we're off to the races!! no surprise for a V10 right guys, hahaha! he said, not bad, but a power adder can get a PSD to do that too........now we're crusing 60mph pedal to the metal, drops a gear (or 2 hehehehe), and he goes "DANG" (nothing else just that)..........cruised around for a min or 2 longer, back to the dealer! so now i said whitch one would you want........5K for eeehhh "ok power" truck #3, not even concidering truck #1, or "DANG" truck #2........ he said "well the V10 was definetly eye opening"

well after this is all said and done........we sit down, he goes off to his salesman conference comes back SSSSOOOOOO apologetic, and says "Joe-Schmo" just finalized on that truck 2 hours ago.......we shouldn't have even had that on the lot, we're so sorry, but would you go for one of the other trucks..........i shook hands, said i enjoyed the drives, and i'd come back when i saw anouther V10 out there......... he said he'd be happy to give me anouther test drive in one!

LOVE the new V10's, still not a PSD fan, and woun't get a 5.4 (just my opinion)!! guess i'll still have some time to figure out what i want to do, ahahahaha! but the salesman's last comment was the best "DANG", nothing else just that!! i guess that NEON dont have quite the git-up-n-go that a V10 has huh!

Last edited by TeamMudd; 12-16-2006 at 08:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good post, pretty well sums up my feelings. I owned 3 PSDs. They never gave me the pride of ownership that the truck in my sig does.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:55 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good one jason. another freaking saleman put to the correctness of the big 3valve v10. guess thats why mine is already sold. one day on the lot bingo it's gone.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Do you want to know why those dealers push the diesels? It's called "after sale warranty". They make a ton o' money on them from warranty work. A friend of mine worked as a regional sales rep for FoMoCo in Detroit (until this year's big lay-off), and he said the dealers love the 6.0 PSD's because of the high incidents of warranty work. They make peanuts on sales, but Ford has to re-imburse them on all warranty work, and that's cash in their pockets.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 AM
4wd
Elder User
Yep, my feelings exactly after test driving a new '06 diesel this spring. It is a dog around town, once at highway speed, and you can it to pass, still doggish. No wonder the diesel owners all flock to the aftermarket parts counter to buy all those goodies to soup up the power (and void the warranty). Bone stock they are a disappointment compared to a bone stock V-10. And to think those guys are stuck another $5g plus ==== And yet Ford says 80% of their SD buyers go diesel. Go figure!

Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 AM
machanic
Senior User
Originally Posted by captchas
good one jason. another freaking saleman put to the correctness of the big 3valve v10. guess thats why mine is already sold. one day on the lot bingo it's gone.
ypu sold your truck. I have been away from the forums for a while

Old 12-17-2006, 01:06 PM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
Good post, pretty well sums up my feelings. I owned 3 PSDs. They never gave me the pride of ownership that the truck in my sig does.
Hey Don, have you been gone for awhile? I was pleasantly surprised to see your posts again.

Rob

Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
captchas
mechanic yes see the thread see's gone which we should all let die now. i just tried to post a anwser and got this is a moderated section your post may show up latter meaning let it die guys . our moderators and admin have been very nice in letting it go as far as it did. art or super mods how about turning the key on it for me.

yes wrench has been missed big time by many of us and it's good to see him and his towing knowage with the big v10 and a 5er in the big hills of western canada back again

Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
olive123
Freshman User
my work truck is an 03 and has the v10. Man does that thing fly. Its nice having one that you dont have to pay for the gas!!!!! 4.5 miles to the gallon. (has 300 gallons on it at most times and I rarely turn it off during the day)

Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when I got my V10 my dealer was just the opposite. The salesman was pushing me towards the V10. I thought it was because he had a lot of used ones on the lot and the warranty from the dealer was less (75K vs. 100K on the PSD). So I took a test drive in the 10 and was sold. I didn't even try a PSD. My buddy now has a F350 flatbed that I drive every often. I always can't wait to get back in my truck. Diesel is good for some, but the 10 is the way to go. People can complain about the mileage and this and that, but in the end it all evens out price wise. I just love the power even though it is the older version. Don't even get me started on the 5.4. That should stay in the F150 or put it in the Ranger. Damn that would be a sweet Ranger.

Last edited by cdrmotorsports; 12-17-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:13 AM
captchas
sweet ranger NAH.
there is a real sweet one by me running around. 4 banger cumapart under the hood.thats a sweet ranger!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:47 AM
metalman1320
Elder User
They all buy the diesel's because they wanna feel like big trucker's!!

I'll share a little story here w/ my fellow 10er's. I'm on Route 30 in York, Pa last night, roll to a stop at a light and a new looking PSD comes to a stop to my right. He's lookin HARD!!! My truck was clean, freshly polished wheels, etc. And to be respectful, his was looking damn good too. He puts his heavily tinted window down and looks over and nods. I nod back. The window goes back up. The light turns green and we both stomp it. I took off by a truck length and held that distance to the next light. He rolls up, window down this time. He's motioning for my girlfriend to put her window down. She does and he says, "what do you got on that thing?" I say, "nuthin,man just a stock V10". He laughs and puts his window back up. The light turns green, same reaction, same outcome. By the next light he pulls up and is aggrevated. He yells, "you sprayin that thing?" I say, "no dude. I told you bone stock". He says, "we get a little more room, I'll nail your ***." I say "if you got it, show it!!" Anyway, we continue this little light to light fun thru the next two light's w/ the same outcome each time. After this little fun, we reach the road where we're turning off of Rte 30 and now he's Billy Bad*** and goes flyin by me as I'm slowing down for our light. He puts his window down and flips me off. I could do nothing but laugh. BSEG!!!!!! He was so mad that his beloved PSD got spanked. Sorry I had to be the one to show you that your PSD might not be all you thought it was!! Diesel's have their place, don't get me wrong, but SO DO V10'S!!!!