has anyone used propane to up mileage?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
has anyone used propane to up mileage?

I saw that ATS's propane setup can be turned way down and will help to increse mpg. has anyone tried this yet?

Old 12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a powershot 2000. I notice a modest milage increase that does not offset the cost of propane especially when you consider the cost of installing the propane system

Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Flywest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of Course!

Everyones doing it!

http://www.dieselgas.com.au/home.htm

I have both my turbo diesel vehicles (Landcruiser 4.2 & F250 7.3 PSD) booked in for February to have the conversions done!

Of course - with the recent spike in oil prices - our nation being pretty much self sifficient in LNG - the Govt are offering substantial cash rebates (90%) of the cost of conversion!

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/conten...7A2EFBDB3D4AF7

Our own state govt offer an additional $1000 rebate above the federal $2000 rebate on conversion.

Basically LPG conversion facilities downunder are now booked out up to 1 yr to 2 years ahead, with work - waiting to be done, getting tanks for the LPG etc is a long wait list, we have a dire shortage of licensed 'Gas' installers and so on!

Because of the rebates on offer - the cost recovery of the few hundred dollars out of pocket - is recouped in increased MPG savings within only months, since LPG here is excise (tax) free at the moment (although that WILL change in years to come as the govts seek to cash in on Vehicle use of LPG and recoup their rebates thru increased transport fuel excise [bowser tax revenue] on LPG)!

It IS possible - to use the straight LNG that is piped into homes here for heating and cooking - to fuel your vehicle, in place of LPG (Propane / Butane mix) however it isn't reticulated at sufficiently high pressure to fill the 120 psi pressure cyclinder in your vehicle, so you do need to find a way to further "compress" the lowpressure household reticulated LNG, at home in your garage, in order to be able to take benefit of the cheaper reticulated LNG by filing your tank at home!

For what it's worth we pay $Aus:-

LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) 34c/litre into the home (US$1.20/Gal)

LPG (Liquefied Petrolem Gas, propane / butane) or 'autogas' as it is called here at servo's for 54c/litre (US$1.87/Gallon).

Normal diesel retails at Aus $1.25/litre or (US$4.42 a gallon).

You can probably see the attraction ofrunning LPG or LNG with diesel that gives purportedly about a 15% - 20% improvement in power output or improved economy!

When the vehicles are converted I will let you know what I think about the REAL WORLD improvement/s (if any)!

Cheers!

Search this Thread