Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
How dirty can free oil be?

I went by the nearby McDonalds today to start setting up my oil pickups in the local area. The manager said no problem on taking the oil. When I went to check out the oil storage bin, it was had a skim layer of crap on top, with a few inches of relatively clean oil under that, followed by a thick off white sludge layer, and then a layer of the fries and crap that got stuck in the fryers. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I can use this stuff or if I should just walk away??
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo75
I went by the nearby McDonalds today to start setting up my oil pickups in the local area. The manager said no problem on taking the oil. When I went to check out the oil storage bin, it was had a skim layer of crap on top, with a few inches of relatively clean oil under that, followed by a thick off white sludge layer, and then a layer of the fries and crap that got stuck in the fryers. Is this normal? I'm wondering if I can use this stuff or if I should just walk away??
Please! Please! Please! Be aware that the restaurant owner cannot give you permission to remove the oil from a commercial waste haulers container!

The minuet the oil is dumped into the container it belongs to the waste hauler!
You can be accused of "theft by conversion" if you take it. You MUST use your own containers or have them put it back in the "cubies" it comes in. Don't want to see you go to jail!!!!

The mess that comes out of the containers is fine, you'll have to filter out the "crunchies", and settle out the water before it can be used tho.........

FABMANDELUX.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
OH #*&% !! Thanks Fabman- I didn't think I'd be stealing!! I guess the grease hauler doesn't do it out of the kindness of his heart, probably doesn't want me taking his profit. As far as the mess that comes out, after the water is gone, that's why you heat it, to get it all viscous again right?
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
OH #*&% !! Thanks Fabman- I didn't think I'd be stealing!! I guess the grease hauler doesn't do it out of the kindness of his heart, probably doesn't want me taking his profit. As far as the mess that comes out, after the water is gone, that's why you heat it, to get it all viscous again right?

Just glad I got to you in time, I don't think they will let you email from jail!

There are 2 ways to deal with "crappy" oil. Let it settle out and just take the oil from the top, OR, heat it to about 150 degF, which will force the water to the bottom, and also let the "crunchies" settle out also.

If you have "clean-looking" oil on top, and thicker oil under that layer, they are probably using 2 types of oil. Heating will help to "blend" the oils together.

FABMANDELUX.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
I imagine after they are heated and blended together, the transesterfication process will keep them together right?
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I imagine after they are heated and blended together, the transesterfication process will keep them together right?

You got it!

FABMANDELUX.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels