Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the love of pete! All I want is a bullbar or brushgaurd

Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the love of pete! All I want is a bullbar or brushgaurd

I want a bullbar perferablly the type that sticks out a bit so I can put fog lights on and a winch. However I own a truck that has almost NO aftermarket products. 81 Ford F150. Is there any other bullbards or gaurds that fit other trucks that would fit mine? Like a bullbar from a jeep? What do they even mount to? And laslty, is this something I could have welded up??

Thanks

Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure on specific brands, but you could easily make or have something made. a complete bumper with provisions for a hidden winch and lights could easily be made/designed.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
this is about what I want ..... thanks to the guy with the baja pics

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...7/GU2K6700.jpg

Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
build one!

-cutts-

Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
most companies do not make older model bumpers
you may have to make your own.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 PM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Im open to the idea of building one. Good reason to buy a welder! Any thoughts on matrials? Size of tubing? What kind of money would we be talking for something in the pic?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 AM
turdfire
Freshman User
im listening. i am also looking to build one for my 83.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am currently building a "classic" style bumper for my 74. I would say that buying a welder and learning some fab would be money better spent than just paying someone. A bumper like the one in the pic would be several hundred dollars. They take time to make, and time is money.
As far as materials, I would say 1/8" wall for tubes and 1/4" for a winch mount. I am making mine out of 1/4" plate and 3/16" pipe. It is a little heavier than I would have liked, but I had the stuff laying around.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
My suggestion would be close to teds; 1/4" plate for your center section... under the grille area, <~ your main impact zone (top, front and bottom lip). The "wings" of the bumper (under the headlights) use 3/16" or 1/8" plate (top, front and sides). Build it similar to stock height (6-8"), but angle it up to around 4" or so from the center out to the ends one either side for better wheel aproach angle. Use 1/8" wall 1.5" or 2" OD DOM tubing, (or use 1/4" wall of the same stock if you want real beef). For the front skid plate, use a plate the same thickness as your center section. Measure from the bottom corner of the bumper to the front lip of your engine crossmember, and use grade 8 bolts about every 2 inches or so, in case you have to pull the skid plate to work on something. Also, if you do intend to use a skid plate like in the picture you posted, you could either:
A. weld on the bottom lip so that it is at the same angle as the skid plate will be
B. bend the last 2 or 3" of either end of the skid plate so that it attaches flush to the bottom lip of the bumper and the lip on the crossmember.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:53 AM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
Guys Id like to thank all of you for your input. I'm really disappointed that for Ford trucks between 80 and 86 there is such a lack of aftermarket parts.

After many hours searching the internet, eBay, JCwhitney, Blue Oval and many other aftermarket part distributors and after discussions here I have decided that the only way I will be able to get the part I want is to make it. I will be buying a welder and tubing in the week or two coming up and try to make something that Id like. I won’t be the only one welding, but I do have limited experience.<O:p</O:p

I have a few questions though and I will just put them in list format.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

1. Utilizing the four bolts on the bumper that hold it in place. Example<O:p</O:p

Will this be strong enough to attach the bar too considering that I'd like to place a winch on this in the future?<O:p</O:p

2. If those four bolts are not strong enough or more strength is needed, where can I attach the bar too? Is there an area under the frame that would be ideal?<O:p</O:p

I have drawn up very crude rough plans of what I’m thinking. However like most things in pre design phases the plans will change. ROUGH DRAFT

The shaded area is what I would like to be a skid plate. <O:p</O:p

Now, assuming I’m able to make one of these and it looks descent, do you think there would be people who would like one of their own? I got to thinking I cant be the only one who wants a custom brushguard or bullbar for 80-86 Ford F series and thought maybe I could sell very limited amount to you guys here and maybe eBay (this is WAY in the future).<O:p</O:p

If you have read this far, I thank you and hope for your opinions and suggestions.<O:p</O:p

Robert<O:p</O:p

Old 12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by must-be-a-stang
1. Utilizing the four bolts on the bumper that hold it in place. http://"https://www.ford-trucks.com/...%2F0002-1.jpg"

Will this be strong enough to attach the bar too considering that I'd like to place a winch on this in the future?
no, i had my 8274 mounted there bolted straight through like that and it ripped the front of the horn off. i know its more work (trust me i built a shackle reversal for my front) but it is way stronger! also use some over sized bolts, like 3/4" grade 8!!! you can never overbuild something like a winch bumper!

I have drawn up very crude rough plans of what I’m thinking. However like most things in pre design phases the plans will change. http://"https://www.ford-trucks.com/...g"]ROUGH DRAFT
that looks really good from what i can tell, what size material are you planning on? 1/8' for the outside and 1/4" for the winch area?

Now, assuming I’m able to make one of these and it looks descent, do you think there would be people who would like one of their own? I got to thinking I cant be the only one who wants a custom brushguard or bullbar for 80-86 Ford F series and thought maybe I could sell very limited amount to you guys here and maybe eBay (this is WAY in the future).
most definitely

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 12-15-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might find one on a truck in a wrecking yard, or get one that can be cut or modified to fit. Or, this is also a long shot, contact companies that manufacture brushguards; they might be able to reproduce an older model, or even have some old stock sitting on a shelf in the warehouse.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:53 PM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
you know, you could always just use one of these, seein' as how the frame is the same 80-96... http://www.buckstop.biz/ford92-98.html

Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 AM
must-be-a-stang
Senior User
no, i had my 8274 mounted there bolted straight through like that and it ripped the front of the horn off. i know its more work (trust me i built a shackle reversal for my front) but it is way stronger! also use some over sized bolts, like 3/4" grade 8!!! you can never overbuild something like a winch bumper!
fishmanndotcom can you elaborate on this a little more? I can see why doing what I was thinking would be weak. Where do you suggest mounting from that would be strong enough, I will go out to my truck and ponder for ideas. Also, thanks for your reply. I have never worked with tubing. What do you think would be ideal sizes?

You might find one on a truck in a wrecking yard, or get one that can be cut or modified to fit. Or, this is also a long shot, contact companies that manufacture brushguards; they might be able to reproduce an older model, or even have some old stock sitting on a shelf in the warehouse.
angus I have thought of this as well and have been keeping my eyes peeled. Fact of the matter is; I have not seen many well made brushguard or bullbars for this era of ford trucks. Most are dull, poorly planned and just plain tacky.

you know, you could always just use one of these, seein' as how the frame is the same 80-96... http://www.buckstop.biz/ford92-98.html
RotGrubestier44 those look awesome. However will the areas fitting around the fenders match up? It looks as if the two differences in trucks are curves. Thank you though; I’ve been waiting for someone to tell me if there was another year Ford trucks that accept the same width brushguards and bullbars.

I think one thing I want to point out is I own a 2x4. A big bulky brushguard just to me doesn’t seem to fit. That's why I’m looking at something more slender and geared to "baja-ish". This is my 1st 4x2 and always owned 4x4s and the thought of putting myself out there with a 2 wheel drive truck without other avenues of getting unstuck has kept me on pavement.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:59 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
fishmanndotcom can you elaborate on this a little more? I can see why doing what I was thinking would be weak. Where do you suggest mounting from that would be strong enough, I will go out to my truck and ponder for ideas. Also, thanks for your reply. I have never worked with tubing. What do you think would be ideal sizes?
basically after making a couple of very tough pulls in the same day (2 ****** blocks, 1 ton axles draggin ground, and a dead engine on the truck to be pulled out) the front of my frame horns started to bend down. the more it bent down the more the metal stretched and became thin. finally started to tear and was forced to stop. i guess there is just not near enough metal to be stout enough. if i remember correctly there is enough room to bolt to the side of the frame. however i built my last bumper into my shackle reversal so it was already flat.

i think there is the A-frame shackle right there on the front of the frame horns. they are riveted through the frame and its the rivet heads that prevents you from bolting to the frame flushly (is that a word? lol). i have seen ppl remove these rivets and replace them with bolts. that way when you build a front bumper you can remove the bolts temporarily and drill corresponding holes in the bumper brackets and bolt all the way through the bumper brackets, frame, and shackle hangers.

lol i hope that made some sense, if not lemme know and i will try and clarify!

-cutts-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the love of pete! All I want is a bullbar or brushgaurd