1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lubricant for leaf springs in 48 f-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Matt Scassero
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lubricant for leaf springs in 48 f-1

Just finished my six month lube job, have a question. To get rid of some of the squeaks and beeps is there a good lubricant to spray or wipe on the leaf packs? I thought of WD-40, but being a penetrant I didn't think that would be a good idea necessarily.

If it only worked on knees...

Thanks guys.

Got my wreath on Toulouse, Merry Christamas all!

Matt and Toulouse

Old 12-12-2006, 08:33 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
WD40 IMHO is one of the most overrated lubes there is. it's just a light machine oil, nearly kerosene. My late father told me that a number of residents in his FL retirement village swore it relieved their arthritis when rubbed into their skin, swore it "lubed" their joints! Spring leafs need a high pressure lube, the plastic slider strips or buttons being the best. If you don't want to disassemble your springs to do it right, you might try jacking up the frame until the axle is hanging on the springs to spread the leaves as much as possible then spray in between with a white moly/lithium grease. It's only a stop gap tho. Take em apart, sand off any rust and add the plastic strips (remove every other leaf while you are at it) and it will ride as well/better than a new truck with no spring squeeks.

Last edited by AXracer; 12-12-2006 at 08:37 AM.