Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
New User

levirox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Blinking Instrument Cluster Lights???!!

I am completely stumped. I have a 98 Ranger XLT with 4 Wheel Drive and high miles (probably similar to most of us on here with older Fords). The other day my instrument cluster lights went out all the way across the dash (except for the radio lights). At the same time, the tail lights and marker lights up front went out, and the turn signals now flash the instrument cluster lights. This is a major problem for me. I had hoped that the lighting problem was related to my other problems with the dome light and windshield wipers so I replaced the GEM module. The new/used GEM module fixed my wiper and dome light/door buzzer issues but did nothing for my lighting issues.

In doing the do-dilligence of searching the site before posting a question that has been asked a hundred times I found out that there are a lot of people that have had the same symptoms that I'm having but no real answers for any of there problems.

Below are the links to the threads that others have posted with similar symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/429417-instrument-cluster-running-lights-out.html?highlight=Flashing+Dash+Lights

fficeffice" />>>

>>

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/427150-98-ranger-dash-lights.html?highlight=Flashing+Dash+Lights

>>

>>

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/420939-electrical-question.html?highlight=Flashing+Dash+Lights

>>

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/232236-98-ranger-issues.html?highlight=Flashing+Dash+Lights
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 PM
New User

levirox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Finally I found in the repair manual that the fuse number I needed to check was actually in the power distribution box under the hood. Fuse number 11 was the culprit. Now I'll just have to wait till it blows again to see if I can trace it back from there, hopefully there isn't a bigger problem lurking somewhere.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
The instrument cluster lights blinking with the turnsignals sounds like a grounding problem. Check along the frame rail all the way to the rear and around the rear bumper. Stuff can get caught under the truck and damage the wiring, or someone could have modified the wiring for a trailer, and now there is a problem with corrosion. Most of the other wiring related to these circuits is protected fairly well. The only other problem spot is around the brake and clutch pedals if the wiring gets caught in the linkage.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring

Tags
2004, cluster, edge, explorer, flashing, ford, instrument, lights