Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Postmaster

cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.
V10 Exhaust Questions. Muffler and Manifolds.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have been lurking around for about a month and I have to say that I love the site. I have heard tons of good things about this site and have learned so much alreay. About 3 months ago I bought a mint 2001 F250 V10 crew cab. It has to be by far the best truck I have ever owned. It has currently 57k on the clock and I jabe a 36,000 mile warranty left over the next 3 years. Can't beat it! I have two questions:

I am looking for a custom exhaust setup. I know there is an exhaust forum, but I am really interested to hear what V10 owners opinions are. I had a Flowmaster 40 on my old truck (1993 Chevy 1500) and loved it, but I am worreid if it is going to be too loud on a V10. I have heard that the Flowmasters can cause excessive popping, which I don't want! In Mass. we have tough emissions and "no excessive noise" rules, so I have to be careful. I am looking for something that has a good tone and rumble while idleing and under accerleating, but once out on the highway I want I nice mellow cruise. My 40 series achieved that on my other truck. I also do a lot of around town towing and don't want it to be too excessive. I will probably be looking for something SI/DO with stainless 4" tips.

Second, I have noticed under acceleration I get a ticking sound from under the hood. I have heard many superdutys that sound the same way. It is just under acceleration and not while idleing. I think that it might be a sticking valve, manifold bolt, or the manifold itself. Any input?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 PM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
first off that ticking could well be the sign of a loose spark plug. get out your your inch pound torque wrench and tighten those bad boys before you blow one out and have bigger problems.
get to that noise ASAP. don't wait around till you find and repair it.

as to exhaust, new jersey is as bad as mass, so i would say a flow master 70 or 50 as for my 05 v10 the 70 did sound the best of 6 i tried, our man team mudd is the exhaust man so hang around jason will chime i and help you out
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Posting Guru

TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cdrmotorsports-

you have e-mail & pm!

if your going for headers, i'd go BANKS...........if your not going to take the plunge for some headers, then a 50 or 70 series FM will probable be up your alley. the headers will magnify the tone of what ever muffler you have! check out the clips i sent you you'll be able to tell the tone difference! and here's the link to the FTE post i put up :

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/53...lips-only.html
2000 F250 Lariat,CC,Short Bed,4x4*on 39.5's with goodies*-GONE but not FORGOTTEN!
"If at first you don't succeed.........do it the way your wife told you to"
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Postmaster

cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.cdrmotorsports has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the replies. I am going to get right on that ticking. TeamMudd: that is a great site. Thanks for the link! I am thinking of just doing a cat back system for now and later splurge for the manifolds and free flows. Would you suggest leaning towards the FM 40 for now if that is the case or stick more with the 50?

Last edited by cdrmotorsports; 12-11-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior User

myidsucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can I get a pm on prices and such, TeamMudd.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Posting Guru

TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
Thanks for the replies. I am going to get right on that ticking. TeamMudd: that is a great site. Thanks for the link! I am thinking of just doing a cat back system for now and later splurge for the manifolds and free flows. Would you suggest leaning towards the FM 40 for now if that is the case or stick more with the 50?
what are you going for? that would be the first question.

a 50 series will have a low rumble at idle and will get louder and more aggressive when your laying into it, but not so loud that you can't stand it! the interior noise ain't bad at all threw the rpm band and levels out the higher you rev!

an Original 40 series has a VERY agressive tone at idle, and an even more aggresive rumble when you hit the gas. and an original 40 series has more interior noise threw the rpm band, and don't level out as quick as the 50 series!

but if you want to stay with the 40 series but not have as much interior noise the 40 series DELTA FLOW sounds awsome too! that's the burnt orange SD on 44's that i have on the web site.

now where you place the muffler on your truck will make a difference too! i mounted mine closer to the rear axle, so it wasn't DIRECTLY under the cab. the closer to the cab you mount it, the more interior noise your gonna have! if your debating on the 40 or 50 series go between the white SD (original 50 series) and the burnt orange SD (40 series Delta Flow) to help with your descision. my SD has more of a mellow tone and deeper due to the headers. those two trucks have stock manifolds still on them! then go from there!
2000 F250 Lariat,CC,Short Bed,4x4*on 39.5's with goodies*-GONE but not FORGOTTEN!
"If at first you don't succeed.........do it the way your wife told you to"
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Junior User

BOSSv10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
These guys will help you out with anything and they know their stuff !!! As for cat back exhaust I love my Borla. It is a bit pricey but it is quiet until you put your foot into it. I like it cause I can hear my radio at crusing speed and when I want the ricer next to me to know I mean buisness, I can. I think it sounds almost like a stang. It never will ,but its good enough for me. Good luck and as I said FTE rocks.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMudd
what are you going for? that would be the first question.

a 50 series will have a low rumble at idle and will get louder and more aggressive when your laying into it, but not so loud that you can't stand it! the interior noise ain't bad at all threw the rpm band and levels out the higher you rev!

an Original 40 series has a VERY agressive tone at idle, and an even more aggresive rumble when you hit the gas. and an original 40 series has more interior noise threw the rpm band, and don't level out as quick as the 50 series!

but if you want to stay with the 40 series but not have as much interior noise the 40 series DELTA FLOW sounds awsome too! that's the burnt orange SD on 44's that i have on the web site.

now where you place the muffler on your truck will make a difference too! i mounted mine closer to the rear axle, so it wasn't DIRECTLY under the cab. the closer to the cab you mount it, the more interior noise your gonna have! if your debating on the 40 or 50 series go between the white SD (original 50 series) and the burnt orange SD (40 series Delta Flow) to help with your descision. my SD has more of a mellow tone and deeper due to the headers. those two trucks have stock manifolds still on them! then go from there!
Well, I had the 40 on my last truck (5.0 V8) and it was no where near annoying to me. I just don't want it to be extremely load on a V10. I keep playing the sounds clips back and the 40 seems to be good for me. I have a crew cab shortbed and would put the muffler far back and then 45 degrees out the back. I do a lot of towing, but rearely make it over 2200 RPMs, si I am not too worried about that. I will probably go with the 40. Thank you for your input and help. I love this site!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
New User

Igotasweetride is starting off with a positive reputation.
don't worry about the noise restrictions in MA, i've never had a problem with my trucks (even my 99 dakota RT with a 360, long tube headers, high flow cats, 4"x6"x10" racing mufflers dumped before the axle), they only bother ricers over it ( i know because i have a 94 talon TSi too)
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotasweetride
don't worry about the noise restrictions in MA, i've never had a problem with my trucks (even my 99 dakota RT with a 360, long tube headers, high flow cats, 4"x6"x10" racing mufflers dumped before the axle), they only bother ricers over it ( i know because i have a 94 talon TSi too)
That is good to know. As for the ticking, I checked the spark plugs and everything seemed to be fine to my knowledge, but it is going in for work next week, so I'll have the dealer triple check everything. I don't get any ticking when I rev the truck in neutral and park. The ticking only occurs while in drive.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
New User

tcwhite is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 Exhaust

Well, after working with a friend of mine that runs a muffler shop, we have finally got the right combination. Getting a V10 to sound descent required us to experiment. We went with 2 MagnaFlow XL 3's 2.25" with Stainless steel pipe's and creating dual's at the rear side behind the wheels. We also used 4" diameter x 18" length rolled stainless steel tips. We tried using one MasterFlow 40 series, which did sound good, a little noiser, but the (2) XL 3's have definitly made it sound terrific.. That is what I would suggest..V10's are just a little more difficult to make sound good..
Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Elder User

chuck641 is starting off with a positive reputation.
check your exhaust manifold studs .. you probably have a couple broken off which will cause a ticking sound. you can see most of them if you look above the front tires inbetween the frame rail and the inner fender. Mine has a couple broken off and it ticks under acceleration until it gets warmed up good.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Postmaster

I checked the studs and they are all there. Mine does not stop ticking once it is warmed up.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Junior User

Ballz_F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alright, I'll add something to this. I just got dual exhaust put on my truck Monday. I've got a '99 F250 XLT Super Cab 4x4 with one of those WONDERFUL V10s. I love my truck in case ya'll can't tell. But anyway, I put two Glass Pack Cherry Bombs on it...it's and not enough. I mean don't get me wrong...it's got a nice start up and idle and it's doesn't sound that bad when you really get on it...but it's not nearly as loud as anything from TeamMudd's sound clips. Totally not what I expected. Went back to the shop and the guy said that there isn't any way to get it louder. Now I'm thinking...if I put a high flow cat and spring for some Banks headers...that will give me what I want. Any thoughts as to what more I can do...or alternate options. Also, what sort of a difference would a K&N Intake make...like the whole system and not just the air filter?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Postmaster

Here is a video of my Chevy (I know, I know!) with the FM 40. To me it sounded pretty good, so this is what I want for the F250.

http://media.putfile.com/Chevy-1500-With-Flowmaster-40

fficeffice" />>>

http://media.putfile.com/Chevy-1500-With-Flowmaster-40-At-Idle
Old 12-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
1999, 2001, 2006, exhaust, f250, ford, glass, manifold, manifolds, mufflers, original, pack, repair, truck, v10, worth