Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whoops

Ok, I made a test blender batch about a week ago, got it to work. Now yesterday I ran a 20 gal batch, off(starting out small so as not to waste too much veggie oil, when I get into full swing I will turn out 100 gal at a time!) I let it sit over night to seperate, and this morning, no seperation, its brown and apparently didnt react. So I currently have another batch mixing with some more lye added, so tomorrow morning will tell all.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Senior User

newr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anxiously waiting

Andy
I also have a 7.3 and am considering converting to BD. So I'm anxious to hear how you are progressing. Keep us posted when you can.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Ok, I made a test blender batch about a week ago, got it to work. Now yesterday I ran a 20 gal batch, off(starting out small so as not to waste too much veggie oil, when I get into full swing I will turn out 100 gal at a time!) I let it sit over night to seperate, and this morning, no seperation, its brown and apparently didnt react. So I currently have another batch mixing with some more lye added, so tomorrow morning will tell all.

Andy, Sounds like either to little Lye for the FFAs that where in the oil, or there was some water in the oil. How many grams of lye per liter did you use? If you did not make a mistake with your measurements, you probably had excess water. Either way you should be able to re-heat the oil and add extra lye and save the batch.

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Andy, Sounds like either to little Lye for the FFAs that where in the oil, or there was some water in the oil. How many grams of lye per liter did you use? If you did not make a mistake with your measurements, you probably had excess water. Either way you should be able to re-heat the oil and add extra lye and save the batch.

FABMANDELUX.
Now see....that's why we keep you around here Keeps the rest of us from having to
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie88
Now see....that's why we keep you around here Keeps the rest of us from having to

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Posting Guru

Talking

Well I didn't realize you could save a batch, that one has been poored down the hill. However, today, while I was working my dad made another batch, it also didn't react, however he added some lye and saved it, and, IT WORKED!!!!!
I HAVE BIODIESEL.
TOMORROW ON MY WAY HOME I'M GOING TO PUT 20 GAL IN MY GRANDPAS EXCURSION. IT HAS 290,000 MIL, SO IF IT GETS MESSED UP, WHICH I KNOW IT WON'T, BUT JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, IT WON'T BE AS BIG A DEAL.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
let us know how it turns out. What are you using for a setup? I think after Christmas, I am also get going on making something. What is an "open" processor as opposed to an Appleseed?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Senior User

jeep1947 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Way to go ANDY like FAB said our little group is growing. If you have any place near you to get KOH it shure makes it easier using FABMANS formula. I have used it for 7 batches of 50 gallons and not a single problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Fliginger
let us know how it turns out. What are you using for a setup? I think after Christmas, I am also get going on making something. What is an "open" processor as opposed to an Appleseed?
An "appleseed" processor is a closed system, you cannot see the reaction. If you have a "non-reaction" you won't know until much to late, and it makes it harder to recover that batch.

An "open" processor is just that, you can see the reaction happen. If you have a problem [generally some excess water] you can add additional lye and force the reaction to completion, thus saving the reaction and your time.

Open style processors use mechanical mixing, and only require about 30 min of mix time.

All appleseed processors use pumps to do the mixing. Pump mixing is inefficient at best, and generally requires more time to mix. The seminar I went to on Monday had a commercial "appleseed" style processor there, and his process requires a 2 step mixing process. It uses the 80-20 process [which has NOT shone any increase in performance] and requires 2 mixing cycles. the first cycle is a 2 hour mix time with 80 percent of the methoxide, then another 2 hour mix with the last 20 percent of methoxide. What a HUGE waste of time and energy! My open style processor produces a 50 gallon batch every 30 min!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Posting Guru

I can see the reaction through the top, but I built mine with old big truck fuel tanks, so it is a closed system. I also am using pumps for mixing for now, but will probably one day have a better mixing system. Is there a chemical you can use instead of water for washing, I plan on making it to where I can evaporate the methanol, but for now do not want to do a water wash.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I can see the reaction through the top, but I built mine with old big truck fuel tanks, so it is a closed system. I also am using pumps for mixing for now, but will probably one day have a better mixing system. Is there a chemical you can use instead of water for washing, I plan on making it to where I can evaporate the methanol, but for now do not want to do a water wash.
Magnesol http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html is the chemical to use for dri-washing.

You will need to switch over to mechanical mixing however, as pump mixing Magnesol is a no-no [just ask "Jeep 1947"]

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior User

jeep1947 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Amen made a believer out of me. Man what a difference mechanical mix for 1 hour let it sit overnight clear as a bell. I dont know what I would do without FAB and the rest of the guys on the forum.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mixing Magnesol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Magnesol http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.html is the chemical to use for dri-washing.

You will need to switch over to mechanical mixing however, as pump mixing Magnesol is a no-no [just ask "Jeep 1947"]

FABMANDELUX.
Jeep 1974,

Whats the issue with Magnesol and pumps?
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Posting Guru

I think I can get it to 150 degrees with a 55 gal drum and two hot water heater elements mounted in the side. If I get it to evaporate then I will build a distillery on top and reclaim it. Has anyone tried this?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior User

newr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Pictures??????
Would love to see your setup, or any others for that matter.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels