Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IP Adjustment. How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IP Adjustment. How much is too much?

I have just completed "turning up" the fuel delivery on my IP. I am now up to 2.5 flats from when it was stock NA. I increased 1.5 flats upon initial installation of Banks turbo. Now I have increased 1 flat. I know I need to watch my pyrometer but usually just "letting off" on the pedal cures high EGT's I don't want to "flood" the cylinders with TOO much fuel. Anyone got any suggestions? PS I haven't driven it since the last increase. Sitting in the driveway if I "punch it" I get a puff of black smoke but that clears up immediately. Thanks Tom

Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
I would say if you can clear up the smoke as your boost rises your fine. And as long as your running a aceptable EGT....

Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
I set one up to 3 flats once. A guy I know turned his in past 4. I've also heard of a guy that bottomed out the screw.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Spectramac
I set one up to 3 flats once. A guy I know turned his in past 4. I've also heard of a guy that bottomed out the screw.
.....AND?!?
So, finish the story - how'd it work out for you, the guy you know, and the guy you heard about?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Tom D
Elder User
turbo

Originally Posted by Spectramac
I suppose there is a fine line at which point you have gained max power and you use more fuel. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. I want more power but I don't want to sacrifice the mileage. I suppose I can continue to increase the fuel delivery and pay close attention to the power,pyrometer,and fuel consumption.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When you start seeing black smoke you have more fuel than you have air to burn the fuel.

With an increase in fuel delivery it is possible to gain MPG when you are running in rolling hills, a little more fuel lets you roll over the hill without dropping a gear.

But when you get in a hard long pull, more fuel means more power, but it also means your MPG is going down.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom D
I suppose there is a fine line at which point you have gained max power and you use more fuel. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. I want more power but I don't want to sacrifice the mileage. I suppose I can continue to increase the fuel delivery and pay close attention to the power,pyrometer,and fuel consumption.
Seems to me that the only way to get the best of both worlds is to make several small adjustments until you get it just right.

Of course what's "just right" for one engine and IP may be all wrong for another. Seems to me that trial and error would be the only way to get it just right for your particular rig.

'Course I haven't tried getting mine "dialed in yet", been to busy getting it running decent. BUT I will be starting in on tweaking it VERY soon.....

Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 AM
bl311
Senior User
Tom, Trying to squeeze more horses out of tired parts is tough. What is the age/condition of your IP and injectors? How many miles do you have on the truck. What mileage are you getting now?

Old 12-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Tom D
Elder User
IP Adjustment How much is too much

Originally Posted by bl311
Tom, Trying to squeeze more horses out of tired parts is tough. What is the age/condition of your IP and injectors? How many miles do you have on the truck. What mileage are you getting now?
I bought the truck used with 120K on it. I put 42K on it. It runs excellent but I feel it lacks pulling power. I don't know the age or condition of the IP or injectors. I get approx 15-18 on the road (no load). I'm going to run it at this setting awile and see how it does. It feels like it has more power but it is quite a bit cooler today than when I ran it in 90deg weather.(Central Fl.) Thanks for the help from you and Dave.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Thanks Cheeper

Old 12-08-2006, 07:11 PM
knapikmichael
Senior User
what is the ip and my truck blows black and goes clear good or bad

Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by knapikmichael
what is the ip and my truck blows black and goes clear good or bad
IP=Injector Pump
Blowing black smoke is unburned diesel fuel and a sign that your IP is pushing more fuel than there is air available to burn it all. First thing to do is check/replace your air filter (if it is dirty) so the engine can get more air. If that isn't the problem, then you need to either look at making some intake mods to let more air in, or turning down the fuel delivery adjustment screw on your IP.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
that little fuel screw isn't some magic power button. It is for max fuel.

I always max my trucks out..... the right foot is what controls how much fuel is really injected. Drive according to smoke and egt's. Keep the rpms higher if need be.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Spectramac
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
.....AND?!?
So, finish the story - how'd it work out for you, the guy you know, and the guy you heard about?
And they all ran great! What else?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would guess that the fuel system would max at at some point in time, but thats not to say it would last long pumping more fuel than the injectors could flow.

Quick Reply: IP Adjustment. How much is too much?