2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 5.4L Knock

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 PM
anonemouse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRM2004
I've read about the VCT phasor issue on the 5.4L trucks. Just so you all know, the VCT phasors are locked out until the engine get to normal operating temperature. So if your having a VCT phasor knock issue...you shouldn't hear the noise until the engine gets to normal operating temp.
Some light valve noise is normal on the 5.4L.
Actually, I hear it even when dead cold. I think I'll look into an extended warranty before the original expires. With about 35,5xx miles on it and these problems I don't think it wise not to. Ideas?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
mac01
Junior User
my 04 scab has been through the ringer and it just keeps on going. in my opinion if you want a good tough truck buy a ford. the other day i had all four wheels off the ground doing about 80 purely by accident, anyway it landed smooth and didn't even bottom out. i did the same thing on the same hill when i was in high school with a dodge (this one wasn't an accident) and it bottomed out and blew out the front shocks, that truck never was the same after that.

anyway about the knock mine has about 57000 miles on it and it has been doing it for a few thousand miles so i asked the local ford mechanic about it and he said that it won't hurt anything if you can stand to listen to it. i was wondering if your mechanic had said if it would hurt anything if you didn't fix it. i would fix it but i just don't have the funds rite now and the mechanic said it would cost quite a bit to fix

Last edited by mac01; 12-08-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 AM
anonemouse
New User
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mac01
...anyway about the knock mine has about 57000 miles on it and it has been doing it for a few thousand miles so i asked the local ford mechanic about it and he said that it won't hurt anything if you can stand to listen to it. i was wondering if your mechanic had said if it would hurt anything if you didn't fix it. i would fix it but i just don't have the funds rite now and the mechanic said it would cost quite a bit to fix

We didn't talk much about potential long-term damage. However, he did note that if I waited until it was out of warranty the labor rate alone is $92 per hour. My thinking is that since a knock exhists, something must be doing something it shouldn't. If allowed to continue long enough something bad is likely to happen. Therefore, I'll be calling the dealer today about extending the warranty.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
RVDave
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got an '04 Lariat with about 38,000 on it and love it. I've had two issues (under warranty). One was a recall that someone may know about. Something to do with bed or shock mounts (I don't remember at all). They had to remove the bed and I think replace a fender. Again was a recall so someone here might know what I'm talking about. This "might" have something to do with your bed shaking. Also I had a vibration from stop, especially when turning. The Ford mechanic knew immediately what the problem was, there was a TSB on it. Something about some clutches burned up in the rear end. I was confused, I only think of clutches in context with a tranny, I thought a rear end was just made up of gears. I've rebuilt engines, years and years ago (last was a 390 in my '74 Explorer or Ranger (don't remember now but that's when they were real trucks). Now I open the hood and look for the carburator and can't find it. I have a hard enough time checking the oil. Thank God for good mechanics who keep up. My idea of mechanical work today is to hand the key to the mechanic at the local Ford dealership. Enjoy your truck, I do mine. I've had a '51, '67, '74, '86, '98, '04 and next year an '08 SD.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
RVDave
5th Wheeling
I guess that should be carburetor not carburator.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:26 PM
anonemouse
New User
Wink

I called the dealer and spoke with the salesman I purchased through about a warranty. He gave me the extension of a guy he said will get me a better price than the other finance guys there will. I'll call him Monday as he wont be in until then.

Before I purchased the truck I ran a CarFax report and learned that it's a one-owner with no history of problems. When examining and test-driving the truck I learned that the truck was purchased new from them, and traded for a newer 4x4. The salesman said I should ask the service manager for a complete report on what work they've done to the vehicle, which I intend to do when it goes in.

They initially were asking $14,950 with 34,8xx miles. By the time I got in to see it they had lowered it to $14,777. I got $3k for my trade (mainly because I ran the Kelly Blue Book on it, printed it out, took it with me, and got up to leave twice before they finally relented), and came away owing $11,777 for the truck.

So far I like the truck. Still getting used to the expected quirks that go with any vehicle. Since I've only been able to drive it to/from work since I've had it, my wife and I will be taking a drive this afternoon just to enjoy our new truck.

As an aside - my first tank of fuel produced 17.25mpg, my second produced 16.0mpg. I'm about 70 miles into my third tank and the needle has just moved off the full mark. I hope to improve on that with this tank as we do some highway driving today. I'll let you know...

Anon

Old 12-09-2006, 02:59 PM
RVDave
5th Wheeling
What model of truck is that Anon? Do you have a 4x4? I have a Lariat with 4x4 and intend to trade it next year on an '08. I was hoping to see more than $14,900 for a trade-in. $14,900 dealer asking price is starting to look a little scary for me.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:11 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
He must mean 24K for an 04?????????? Be very careful buying an extended warranty from an outside party try to get one from ford and read the fine print. But in your case I would recommend it as mentioned before a lot of these 04 have had issues.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 PM
anonemouse
New User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
He must mean 24K for an 04?????????? Be very careful buying an extended warranty from an outside party try to get one from ford and read the fine print. But in your case I would recommend it as mentioned before a lot of these 04 have had issues.
No sir, those numbers are real. It started at $14,950, became $14,777 by the time I went in to see it, and when it was all done I walked out being $11,777 into the truck.

Mileage: I was guessing about the miles I had on that tank and where the needle was. It turns out I had 92 miles on that tank and it had nearly 7/8 of a tank when we started. I live in Silverton, Oregon (about 15 miles east of Salem), and we drove through Molalla, Estacada, Sandy, over Mt. Hood, into Hood River, back I84, to I205, to I5, through Aurora, Monitor and back to Silverton. I filled up with 325.5 miles and about 1/4 tank left. It took 17.384 Gallons. So, 325.5/17.4=18.7 miles per gallon. I could probably do better starting from a full tank without nearly 100 work/home miles already on it. Nevertheless, I think that this is quite respectable under the circumstances.

The truck is a regular-cab short-bed XL. I don't need more than that for pulling my boat and driving to/from work.

Anon

Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 PM
FX150
New User
you should have checked here before buying the truck..the phaser thing is one of the sources for the noise?! and believe me! these trucks are not good, I have read lots and lots of posts all over and found that these trucks have many problems...it not worth it.

The only good thing about them is the look and the comfort.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
marlinlander
New User
Peply To Engine Noise

I ALSO HAVE KNOCK/CLICKING ON MY 04 FX4 I JUST BOUGHT IT AND IT HAS 70,000 MILES I AM GOING TO DEALER THIS WEEK I WILL LET YOU
KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT!>>>>MARLIN LAND!

Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Chris1450
Senior User
I have read lots and lots of posts all over and found that these trucks have many problems...it not worth it.

LOL if you go by internet complaints there isn't a good vehicle out there. That is the main place to bitch about problems with vehicles. And aparently you don't know anyone with chev or dodge vehicles do you? now there are some problems

Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
anonemouse
New User
Originally Posted by Chris1450
LOL if you go by internet complaints there isn't a good vehicle out there. That is the main place to bitch about problems with vehicles. And aparently you don't know anyone with chev or dodge vehicles do you? now there are some problems
Fortunately I'm not swayed by such comments, Chris. I did my homework, which is why I bought a Ford in the first place. I've seen the competition and the continued issues they've had. I may not have known about the particular issues with the '04 Fords, but I do know my own experiences with their products. My expectation is that Ford will (through the dealership I purchased the truck from), simply take care of me. If for some reason that doesn't happen, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Until then, I will continue to operate in good-faith.

Anon

Old 12-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Chris1450
Senior User
glad you can see thru the hype. I have a feeling that a lot of chevy guys come here and stirr he pot. by some of the comments here, it wouldn't suprise me

Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 AM
FX150
New User
waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$ and time and everything else

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4L Knock