1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

glow plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
firemanp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glow plug ?

Just got the plugs and relay... I am going to change them on Sunday... Is there any special tips or tools that will be needed....

Thanks,
Pat

Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember to remove the vacuum source block that is secured to the side of the heater core cover under the insulation. It also makes it easier if you disconnect the MAP sensor and place it out of the way. Use paper towels or shop rags and a long flat head screw driver to dry up as much oil as you can from around the glow plug before unscrewing it. A 1/4 drive set with deep sockets will make reaching the glow plugs easier. Use needle nose pliers to pull the old glow plugs out. If one does not want to come out, spray it with KROIL or PB Blaster and let it sit a while and try truning and pulling again. A stand to stand on makes leaning over the engine alot easier. Not a tuff job to do, just take your time and if you run into something that you have a question about, just post and we will try and help.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use anti seize and be careful of the torque.

What kind of GPs did you get?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
desygityaso
Senior User
Hey there I don't know crap about what you are about to do, but get yourself an old thick sofa cushion to lay on and trust me after the first hour you'll be glad you did. Oh and make sure you have your telescoping magnet handy cause mechanic's law states,"If you have a 30 socket set under the hood ,you will drop the only one you need ( several times). Good luck, DESY

Old 12-06-2006, 07:51 PM
firemanp
Senior User
Thanks for the advice guys..

Trike.. they are motorcraft ZD-11's..

Pat

Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 AM
firemanp
Senior User
OK.. I might be jumping the gun here but.... I replaced my GPR this morning (going to do the GP's tomorrow) since it is about a five minute change... The new GPR makes absolutely no difference.. Voltage gauge doesnt move, although the GPR does click so it is getting a signal (the old GPR clicked also)... according to my service manual the glow plugs are controlled by the PCM which receives a signal from the Barometric sensor and the Engine oil temp sensor, my question is are these likely to go out, and where are they located... secondly when I was at the parts house picking up the GPR and GP's I asked about the GP controller... I looked and it and have never seen anything that looks like it... it looks like a GPR sitting on a plastic box with a heatsinc and wiring harness..

Moral... can the GP's be so bad that the voltage gauge will not move? I have not had GP's for the last 2 years..... just plugged the truck in when cold..

Pat

Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Usually one or more of four things, bad glow plugs or bad UVC (Under Valve Cover) wiring, bad connectors/pins in the valve cover gasket or bad pins in the wiring harness ends. The best way to tell is to pull the valve covers and check everything while you are in there replacing the glow plugs.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
firemanp
Senior User
Talking

Well.. I started on the glow plugs at 8:30 this morning, finished up at 11:45 this morning.. I crossed my fingers got in the truck turned the key and the voltage almost buried like it is supposed too.. I was so happy, truck will now start without having to be plugged in.. I inspected all of the UVC connections as suggested, all looks well no burnt pins or distorted plugs.. The only thing I noticed was alot of oil in the connections.. I guess that is to be expected.. I would be willing to bet that these were the original glow plugs with 202,000 miles on them.. they came out easy but they sure looked nasty.. I could not even get them to glow by grounding the housing and putting power to the pin..(out of the truck of course) I took the D side VC off, sprayed PB blaster around the GP's, then started taking the P side VC off, sprayed PB blaster around the GP's, then went back to the D side to start replacing the GP's, then the same for the other side..

THANKS for everyones suggestions and HELP... you guys are the best....

Pat

Last edited by firemanp; 12-10-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Smile

Originally Posted by firemanp
OK.. I might be jumping the gun here but.... I replaced my GPR this morning (going to do the GP's tomorrow) since it is about a five minute change... The new GPR makes absolutely no difference.. Voltage gauge doesnt move, although the GPR does click so it is getting a signal (the old GPR clicked also)... according to my service manual the glow plugs are controlled by the PCM which receives a signal from the Barometric sensor and the Engine oil temp sensor, my question is are these likely to go out, and where are they located... secondly when I was at the parts house picking up the GPR and GP's I asked about the GP controller... I looked and it and have never seen anything that looks like it... it looks like a GPR sitting on a plastic box with a heatsinc and wiring harness..

Moral... can the GP's be so bad that the voltage gauge will not move? I have not had GP's for the last 2 years..... just plugged the truck in when cold..

Pat
Hey Pat,

Excellent thread , I have the exact same situation in that I did tha GPR but it did not make a differance and am thinking maybe its another problem and not the glow plugs but since the weater is so warm I am going to do the glow plugs this weekend. I hope all goes as smooth as your 3 hour glow plug replacement job, the thought of a stuck plug is lingering in my mind .... I will do some digi pics and try to get them posted here for others facing the dreaded glowplug job.

Jack