1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

steering whell

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 08:55 AM
kyyates
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering whell

i repaired the steering wheel of my 54 truck and i need to paint it, any one have any suggestions of the type of paint i should use kelly

Old 02-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
steering whell

Kelly,

I'm just finishing up a steering wheel myself and I've decided to use a semi-gloss enamel in a spray can. In the past, I've used a two-part catalytic epoxy and had great results but I just can't afford the time right now to get the gun fired up and mess with the mixing, etc. Besides, I don't have any of the epoxy on hand.

The two big things I'm concerned with are appearance and wear since corrosion isn't really an issue on a polymer substrate. The enamel should wear very well and I've tested the appearance on some scrap pieces and it looks fine. The other thing I'm wondering is if the enamel will hold up to the thermal changes a steering wheel sees. Here in Ohio, we see maybe -10 to -20 F on an extreme winter day and then on a hot summer day in the sun I bet the wheel gets up to 140 F.

Sorry I don't have a great solution unless you want to do the two-part epoxy thing. If you do, I've used Matrix Systems MAV-420 with MP-900 and it wears like iron and is very tough.

George

Old 02-09-2002, 10:22 AM
kyyates
Freshman User
steering whell

thanks george i plan to use acrlic enamel my truck is stored in my basement and never gets hot or cold.thank again MAY GOD BLESS YOU

Old 02-09-2002, 12:57 PM
51frrdtrk
Senior User
steering whell