1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

50 F1 fan hub lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 F1 fan hub lube

Does anyone know the story with the fan hub on my flathead? I was taking off the fan to replace it and oil came running out. I assumed that it was supposed to be filled with oil, so I took out the little screw and added motor oil. Unfortunately, the oil came running out the back and ran all over my belts! Can anyone give me the straight scoop?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-09-2002, 12:57 PM
51frrdtrk
Senior User
50 F1 fan hub lube

I thought i was the only one that ever did that.....
The fan hub uses one ounce of oil and one ounce only. Place the screw in the top position and add oil and then replace the screw.
You may want to replace the two gaskets on the fan hub so the oil will not leak out. The first time i used blue silicone and the oil still leaked out. I installed gaskets and haven't had a problem since.
The shaft was worn out on mine when i bought the truck, I had trouble finding one but now i have two. No one is making the shaft that i now of. If you add two much oil it will run out of the back of the fan hub housing.
I think the slinger on the front of the hub pulls the oil onto the shaft thereby lubricating the fan sheiv housing. The funnel shape at the rear of the housing slings any oil that wants to escape out the rear. My shaft has a fat "o" ring at this end. I don't think this is standard. No parts books show it. The Manual i bought for the truck (Ford Enthusiasts) does not show the fan housing or say anything about repairs or oil type. Check your oil often. You have to turn the fan over to drain the oil and then add another ounce.
If you do not have the repair manual you should get one (if you are doing your own work.

51F1
55T-Bird
68Corvette (my brothers work for GM this keeps them off my back)
2000F150

Old 02-09-2002, 09:33 PM
vikingrni
Freshman User
50 F1 fan hub lube