Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Where is the block heater hiding ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 PM
scubajt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the block heater hiding ?

I have a 2001 power stroke and I can not find the plug for the block heater.
does anyone know where it might be ?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:49 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heating element is located above the oil filter, its orangish, the cord runs from there along the framerail to the front bumper area. do some looking up there. The end is a 110v male plug but often has a plastic cap covering the prongs.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When i had my grille off doing my cold-front, i saw a cord running up the top of the left frame rail. I traced it towards the front, and i found a plug on the end. If worse comes to the worse, pull the grille off with 4 phillips screws and use a flat screwdriver to pry up on the 4 clips on the bottom. It should be easy to find then.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Here is where my comes out of (See where the orange extension cord plugs into)

Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that cord is damn tough to find the first time you look for it, if it's never been used! Took me probably five minutes when I got around to wanting to try the block heater out one day. You can trace it so far from underneat the truck, but at one point it changes from orange to black at its end. Try using a flash light and looking all around the driver side tow hook.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
took me a while too..mine was in between the rad and inter cooler..hell of place for it..i bought the truck used from the south..so it was never used..maybe the old ownwer moved it there..my cord comes from the be hind the oil filter to the inside of the frame rail..just in front of the axel on the driver side it comes to the out side of the frame then up to the bumper and across..

Old 12-06-2006, 06:37 AM
mjlewis
Senior User
it took me some time to find mine the first time. it has never been used and still had the plastic cover on the prongs. i still cant reach the darn thing, but at lease i know where it is.
it is located behind the driver side tow hook. it is tucked in that area, so take a flash light and look closely, it'll probably be the same color and the rest of the backside of the bumper, dirt.
i'll take a pic and post it when i get home tonight from work.
thanks
-mike

Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
scubajt
Junior User
Thanks every body for the help I looked and looked for the darn thing and I could'nt find it. at least now I have a place to start looking.
thanks again, John

Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
So does the 2000 have one? I haven't found it yet. Window sticker doesn't show it has one.. Is it standard or option? Still looking.

Jim

Old 12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
scubajt
Junior User
I dont know for sure but I was told all diesels have one, I did find mine it was behind the bumber on the inside of the left frame rail and it was a pain in the butt to get to,
I finally got it out by the left tow hook. good luck in finding it, it should be there.
Thanks again every body for all the helpful information and pictures.
John

Old 12-06-2006, 03:24 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
On the 7.3L it is standard. However, there was an option for "Cold Weather Package Delete" which got rid of the block heater, EBPV, and the intake air heater. If yours doesn't shriek when the high idle kicks in or you have no IAH element in the intake y-pipe, it's possible that you have no block heater cord.

Best way to start is lie under and look up near the oil filter for the orange extention cord coming out of the block.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
mjlewis
Senior User
i went out in the rain tonight and snapped some quick pics of the block heater plug and element in it's stock locations.
check out my gallery. hope this helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=25675

thanks
-mike

Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 PM
scuba875
New User
Thanks for the pic I have been looking for this thing on my 03 for a week with no luck. I just went outside and found where it runs up behind the light on the drivers side. I think I am going to have to pull the battery to get to it. I cant get my hand in there to feel where it goes from there. It looks like it runs up and into a hole in the body near the air intake. I had my bumper off a few weeks ago to install a plow and I didn't see any cord so it has to be stuck up in the body some place.

Thanks again
Pat

Old 12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Knowing that it was going down below 20 here in B'ham last night, I finally went out and found mine as well. It was right behind the driver side front tow hook. Didn't look like anything different from a typical wiring harness, being black, but it was there. I reached right in beside the tow hook and plugged it in. What a difference in warm up... I saw the temp needle begin to move with 3/10 mile from the house, and started getting warm air inside very shortly after that. I'm going to get a 15 amp outdoor timer on the way home so I can run the power to it for only as long as necessary, kicking on about 3:00am until I leave at 6am.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
mjlewis
Senior User
no kidding, it was rather cold this morning in atlanta. i plugged my truck in for the first time this morning at 5am and left at 7. warmed right up before i got on the main road.

scuba875, did you have any luck finding your plug yet? glad the pics helped. it is rather hard to find, with everything black and coverd in dirt (on mine anyways)

Quick Reply: Where is the block heater hiding ?