1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuel shut off valve

Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
DonMckay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel shut off valve

I posted a wanted add in the classifieds for a fuel shut off valve on my Merc pickup. It seems as mine decided to start leaking, so if any of you that has taken the fuel tank out of the cab and don't need the shut off valve can help out it would be great.
Don

Old 12-05-2006, 06:51 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know there was a shutoff valve on the tank? I have a 56 with the tank still in the cab. There isn't a shut off valve anywhere around? Is that only on Mercury pickups?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The 48-52 trucks had a fuel shut off valve on the bottom of the tank since it came out the bottom of the tank instead out the top like the later tanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:38 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine leaked too so I eliminated it. You don't really need it anyway. If you need to disconnect the gas line you can always plug the hose with a bolt.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
Mine leaked too so I eliminated it. You don't really need it anyway. If you need to disconnect the gas line you can always plug the hose with a bolt.
You'd have to be mighty quick with that bolt!!

Mine is still OK (knock on wood) but if it goes I'd replace the stock valve with an elbow and use one of the many aftermarket in-line valves available. (from Summit etc). I am expecting modern gas to destroy mine sooner or later.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have one on the 427/66 dully. Got to much invested in the engine to just let anyone drive it. As I leave the keys in everything at home it won't let them get far. Hate to look for keys and there is less than 45 people in our town. So for the most part if someone needs in my house to get warm or use one of my rigs in a pinch and we ain't home. I will generally have a case of frosty's to say thank you.
I do take the keys out when in town. As I may trust all my neighbors, I ain't stupid.
Well maybe a little slow. One thing about good neighbors is that if they brake anything they buy the parts and help fix it. Haven't had anything stolen since my teenager moved out. My shop is wide open also and used by all. As long as they clean up after themselves I have no complaints. And instead of loosing tools I gain them. This may not be the best place to live as winters are hard and I couldn't make it without friends. Can you say "It's a beautiful day In the neighbor hood" or I just hope I can get through the Hood. Sorry I got a little of topic, but i did talk about a fuel valve.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You'd have to be mighty quick with that bolt!!
Well, agreed you're gonna spill a little bit....especially me since I don't do anything quick anymore, but how often do you have to remove the gas line to the tank? Not very often I would suspect...

Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DonMckay
I posted a wanted add in the classifieds for a fuel shut off valve on my Merc pickup. It seems as mine decided to start leaking, so if any of you that has taken the fuel tank out of the cab and don't need the shut off valve can help out it would be great.
Don
One came up on e-Bay not to long ago, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one now that I know you need it.

Search this Thread