Another won't start thread...!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another won't start thread...!!

Hey guys...here's my situation.

it got cold....real cold here in Whitehorse Yukon....we had a full week of -30 to -40F weather...and my truck refused to start....Ok...so I chaked it up to being cold. B ut now...it's warm...er.....mid 20sF....and it still won't start. I turns and turns and turns...no smoke coming off the back...block heater and GP work....gees...I can feel the heat coming of the engine if I cycle the plugs ....well no so much heat as temperature differenced. I'm 90% sure i have winter diesel in there....even put diesel conditioner stuff. AND Nothing.....could is still be frozen....how long should it take to thaw....been almost 2 weeks since it last ran. Should I be worried about fuel pump and/or injector pump?.....like I said...turns over fast....no smoke....looks like not getting any fuel....I am almost afraid to get it towed....this ones been a money pit since the beginning.

Help please....

Yukonsly

Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, maybe the fuel has gelled? Even 20F after that cold snap may not be warm enough. If you can get it in a warm building and it fires up then you'll know for sure. Maybe a torpedo heater strategically aimed under the truck will work too tho I've not done this myself.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Check the fuses under the hood, #22 I think. It powers your fuel heater and if the fuel heater shorts out, it blows the fuse and the truck will not start.

If you do not have any blown fuses, Make sure the Timmerman nut on the IPR is tight.

Open the fuel filter housing and check the fuel (see if it's gelled, if so a hair dryer can be used to warm up the fuel filter housing & FPR), open the water drain and see if it runs fuel out, pour Diesel Kleen into the fuel filter housing, close the fuel filter housing.

If all of the above check O.K. make sure your HPOP reservoir is full.

Just a few things I can think of off of the top of my head. Post back and let us know what you find and how it's going.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Well...it's on its way to the mechanic....hopefully it just needs a warm place to thaw. will post the diagnostic and remidy once I know what the problem is.

Not the fuse... and the fuel doesn't look to be gelled

Yukonsly

Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Well...my truck is fixed...ended up being glow plugs....who would of thought hahahahah..

3 bad....1 disconected....dunno how that happened.

the strange thing is.....it seems to have and unusually long crank at the start now...like almost 2 full to 3 seconds....which wasn't happening before....huhm....

Yukonsly

Old 12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Long crank....but does it snap to life or roll to life. If it snaps than you are ok if it rolls to life you may have a bad valve cover pin or two.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:50 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Snaps....just longer cranking that's all....sooo....I shouldn't dump more money into it just yet ??? hahaha

Yukonsly

Old 12-14-2006, 02:35 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Well I think that you are good, I noticed the same thing on my truck, that it seemed to take longer to start when I fixed my GP issues, but now it seems normal, still snapping to life so give it a week and see if still seems abnormal. The other thing that I did that seems to shorten the start cycle, I replaced my airfilter with a canister high flow capacity filter.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
I already have the canister type filter. I did the mod this summer....built it myself with the instructions found on this board. Also have a 3" downpipe....4" exhauste....no kitty and straight through muffler....so I fugure it's breathing right. Found a bullutin on here about the 95s having hard start issues....but the local stealer said that nothing was coming up on his computer when I was there this moring....I think I will fax over what I have and ask him....politely....to look harder ....

ON a side note....a put bis a$$ tires on there....great for mud.....SUCKS IN SNOW....geez....I didn't think is was gonna be that bad....constantly engaging 4wd....cause I'm stuck at a red light and can't leave hahahhah

Thanks everyone

Yukonsly

Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
The longer crank time could be from more power going to your "NOW" working glow plugs leaving less for your starter. On a couple of trucks that I have done glow plug work on it made them spin over longer, but others not. Who knows, but I do know that if its real cold and I turn on my glow plugs it seems to take about 1 sec. longer for it to fire, so I just figured I had less amps for the starter. Just my .02.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
plowhand , makes sense never thought of it like that, and yukonsly, I used to pass trucks like yours on the way to the ski slope in my suburu, looks good but not practical in snow or ice, sounds like fun in the mud, hope she keeps running good for ya