1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Loping at startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loping at startup

Ok so I got this new truck home now but part way thru the trip I pulled the 10-18k potentimeter off since it really isn't needed with the chip in the truck. well then I had a hard start condition, long crank and hard to fire. so I hooked it back up but now it lopes when I start it up. hot cold does matter. its not romping like a cold startup just loping like a pulling truck. I can watch the ICP and IPR data change with the loping until it levels out and runs smooth. I can give it throttle while its doing it and it will go smooth but depending on how long I give it throttle it will still lope when i let up.

Any body got any ideas. no check engine, no codes. I was thinking maybe the ICP is bad but the pot. was fooling to computer enough it didn't set a code but today I completely unhooked the pot. and it made no difference.

I know the chip burners have a lope setting on their chips but this chip doesn't have that. anybody know what they change to make it lope?

Thanks
Tim

Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Fal Grunt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a clue what your talking about, but I wanted to say nice truck. If I ever get out of school and have a little cash...

-myers

Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

thanks Grunt, I was in your shoes just 4 years ago so hang in there! except I was driving a 2wd 1987 Ranger with a 4 banger in it so you could be worse off! Man do I wish I had kept that truck to beat on!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Terry I have a 10k on mine and a tuner and it lopes and when it's cold it's more noticable. Congrates on the new ride looks good.

Dave

Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

anybody else have any ideas?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:41 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
unlug the 18k and unplug the icp and see how it runs and drives. did jared have the chip and 18k mod on there? if so maybe the chip was burned with the 18k mod in mind.

do you have a digital camera? if so make a video of it running i would like to see what this lope sounds like.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

yeah I unplugged the 18k and repaired the connector yesterday and it didn't change. I will try to unplug the icp though. If it runs right then you thinking I have a bad ICP?

The chip is a generic diablo delta from what Jared told me. Right now i just have to find anough to time to make all the repairs to this truck. It got new tires last night. now it just need ball joints, axle u-joints, front brakes, fuel pump, and the lope figured. I haven't even had a chance to get it in the air and give it a good inspection! The list may be long. There goes the money for the BTS VB and Dp chip! But I think the IC is still in the plan. Got a bead on some used banks y-pipe and maybe the rest of the piping!

Thanks 1997f-350 I will try what you said and get back to you. I will try to get vid of the loping for you too.

Thanks
Tim

Old 12-05-2006, 02:39 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

ok Ryan I unplugged the ICP at lunch and it loped twice then stopped. shut it off start it up again and smooth. So I guess i need a ICP. I will change it when I get home. Got a late 99 engine at home I will steel the sensor from. I will let you know!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
good news!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

well not good news now! I tried the sensor but physically it was different and didn't start up any different. So now I will do more research n the sensor interchange. Also couldn't get the scanner working so I couldn't look at data and didn't have time to mess with it tonight so hopefully this weekend.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Ok get this! I did some searching on TDS lots of people with same symtoms nobody posted the fix! I HATE THAT!. POST THE FIX TO YOUR PROBLEMS!!! but I did find one guy that had very similair lope from base idle to about 7 or 800 rpm for about 20 seconds after startup. So much that it rocks the cab back and forth. He said his park neutral switch was bad??? Replaced it it and it went away. Don't ask me what that has to do with it but thats what he said. So I went out this morning and tried unpluggin the icp again and no change, so I tried to put it into neutral like this guy said and as soon as I hit the brake it stopped. did that a few more times and then it wouldn't lope at startup??? I will keep you all posted. Gonna start it up when I get home tonight.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

well I just talked to jared today about the loping he said it would do it when the oil needed to be changed. From what I can tell he chagned the oil every 3k. This has me worried as it should still run fine no matter how it was driven with 3k oil in it. I am concerned about fuel in the oil right now. Gonna change it tonight and send out a sample to blackstone for a check up. Fuel pump is leaking to the outside right now maybe it is also leaking inside to the crankcase. If not I may have injector o-rings or cup to do. More repairs that I hadn't planned on. Keeps taking money from the BTS VB and DP tuner fund!

I will keep you posted

Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

also tried unpluggin the icp more times and it didn't change. hit the brake pedal a few times and it stopped but now I won't stop unless I increase RPM. So who knows.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

well one more update. Oil change didn't fix it. Which to me is good news. It means that I haven't had diesel fuel going into my oil. I will still be getting the oil to blackstone. Next step is some ICP testing and maybe an IPR cleaning.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
1969fordguy
Senior User
Nice work documenting whats going on with the "lope" when people complete the thread and give the symptom and the cure it helps everyone. So, even though my truck isn't doing this yet, thanks!
...and it does look good!

Quick Reply: Loping at startup