Adding a little oil in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Adding a little oil in the tank

I'm curious since the new High Sulfar Diesel Fuel has come around here in california if it would hurt adding al ittle store bought vegatable oil in the tank before filling it up. I wonder because a gallon of corn oil is cheaper than a gallon of lucas fuel treatment.

Any suggjestions wehter or not this is a good idea. And how much would be a safe limit to add to a 05 6.0 with a 38 gallon fuel tank.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John with beastly 302
I'm curious since the new High Sulfar Diesel Fuel has come around here in california if it would hurt adding al ittle store bought vegatable oil in the tank before filling it up. I wonder because a gallon of corn oil is cheaper than a gallon of lucas fuel treatment.

Any suggjestions wehter or not this is a good idea. And how much would be a safe limit to add to a 05 6.0 with a 38 gallon fuel tank.
Can you buy Biodiesel in your area? If so I would buy Biodiesel or a blend of Biodiesel.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mixing UN-HEATED vegetable oil with diesel is never a good idea.................

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
years back we used to run pure kero in the winter by adding 1 qt of 30w to 10 gals to lube up the fuel injection pump on our vw diesel and never had any problem with it. we started doing it after haveing a tank gell up almost fully. when skiing and haveing the temp drop to minus 40 with the wind chill ,closeing down the ski area. in lake plasid new york

veg oil i have to side with the other guys here that would tend to gell up or gum up the system

Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
psd tuner
New User
2 cycle oil and motor oil

I was reading on a Duramax forum that they use 1 gal. of 2 cycle oil. I never tried it because 2 cycle oil is kinda high. My uncle told me to add a quart of ATF to tank of diesel, he said it cleans injectors and lubricates fuel system. I have tried this and it quitens my psd a little. On the Duramax forum they talked about a quart of 30 weight oil. I have never tried it either.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
I think a gallon of veggie oil in 38 gallons isn't enough to hurt anything, but then what do I know, I already burned up one IP burning 100% unheated oil!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Also, lots of truckers use to put a quart or two of ATF in with every fill up, however since they started dyeing off road red, some could get a ticket, it would be kind of hard to prove it was ATF not offroad.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I think a gallon of veggie oil in 38 gallons isn't enough to hurt anything, but then what do I know, I already burned up one IP burning 100% unheated oil!
The problem is they won't stay mixed. Pure veggie oil won't break down in diesel. They will seperate just like 30 weight and water.

jimbo

Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
The will stay mixed. I have a jar that has been sitting on my porch for a month of veggie oil and diesel 50-50, and has not seperated yet. You have to use NON-Hydrogenated oils only.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Originally Posted by AndysFords
The will stay mixed. I have a jar that has been sitting on my porch for a month of veggie oil and diesel 50-50, and has not seperated yet. You have to use NON-Hydrogenated oils only.
O.K. I was going of bad information that I read on this forum somewhere along the way. I think it was a bashing Diesel Secret thread.

jimbo

Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem is knowing EXACTLY what kind of oil it is! I have restaurants that use both, and it gets mixed together by the time I get it.

Using UNHEATED veggie oil is not recommended for any diesel engine!

FABMANDELUX.