Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Ok, let's make a meet happen...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in a cornfield near a little town called Bryant, IA~I'm just a few miles north of "fordsrgrt" in Clinton, IA. (sorry for my slow responses...country dial-up speeds!) I'm the service manager for a tire retailer/light service shop in Davenport, IA. Joined the FTE about a year ago, found the site when searching for some info on ESOF...very helpful!!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:33 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are probably 4-5 members right in the area near you... shouldn't be too hard to get a meet going... looks like we will be invading a shop next month!

Old 12-03-2006, 09:37 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
fellro86,Did I read you are in Donnelson(?) isn't that right on the river IA/MO border?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
fordlover1970 (Opie) is in Donnelson, I'm just across the border right now near Luray, west of Kahoka. I will be moving to Marengo (Ia) again in a few weeks. Donnelson is about 20 miles north of the river/border. Home to Lee County Speedway...
Marengo is about 30 miles west of Iowa city.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
I thought it sounded familiar, I go near there(Donnelson) a couple times a year on my way to Mark Twain Lake for fishing. I know where Marengo is, I used to live in Coralville when I first got married...18 years ago (crap I'm old!!) They used to have a kick *** beach party out that way???
Let me know if you all get together in Jan or whenever... the 20th or 27th sounds good, my 40th B-day is the 24th...and a meet with my new FTE chapter sounds like a good excuse to sneak out of the house for a little while (he-he-he!)

Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
Glad I hooked up with some more Iowans, the reason I was actually back on the site is that I was wondering if the just plastic selector ***** for the factory lock-outs are available through Ford or any other vendors? I have mine off of my truck right now to "rebuild" them basically because the ***** are all broken-up & frozen from the previous owner, I disabled the vacumm part last year(wasn't working) and would like to have the ability to lock or unlock the hubs manually, I know the aftermarket hubs are available-but I have heard they are quite a bit shorter than the OE hubs and I would like to keep the OE height through my center caps, also I like to tear things apart:-)

Old 12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Keep an eye on this forum, it is where all the announcements are posted.
Williamsburg used to be home to the World's Largest beach Party, at least until it became the world's laregest drunk party, and the cops were all waiting right at the gate... then financial problems between the partners killed it off... Middle America restaurant was the first location for it, but they have management issues as well, can't keep the place open for over the last 10 years... Marengo is due north from the Kinze plant.
Donnelson is where the 4 lane had been condensed to two lanes for a while, now the 4 lane is open alll the way into Missouri, who is running behind like usual... 14 miles left to go.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I can't answer on the hubs... what year are you working with? Sounds like the wondrous automatic hubs... mine are manual. Rob, ideas?
So you're pushing the big 4 -o, huh? Only have a few years on me then, 4 more to go here.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
Oh yeah that's right-just south of I-80, the "beach" is just an grassy, overgrown depression on the hill now, I was out that way a couple months ago, I had to go check out the new Iowa Speedway at Newton (Lynyrd Skynyrd concert)~can't wait to catch a couple races next year. My kids love the Kinze wagons stacked up near the interstate and the tractor/planter standing on end painted JD green & IH red.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:43 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
'99 F250 Super Duty V10-sorry should have mentioned that earlier. How do I tag that at the end of my posts?

Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well on the meeting at Rich's place I will be gone until the second weekend in Jan on vacation but the 20 or 27 will work just let me know.

As to the hubs I assume you mean the manual/auto hubs for your 99 F250, yes they are available from ford but they are $247 EACH last time I checked and they are prone to freezing up. I replaced mine with Warn hubs a couple years ago and haven't been sorry, they may be just a tad shorter but you really don't notice it and it's the way I suggest to go. The factory ones are really junk IMHO.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
Yep, the auto/manual hubs, I didn't mean the whole hub though, just the actual selector **** itself, I saw an "O" ring/spring clip kit from Ford on a link to a site..."guzzle.com"(???) and was wondering if the plastic **** was also available seperately. I know the Warns are excellent and about $160-$170 for the set, but I'm a little weird and like to get my hands into everything myself, I tore one of the hubs apart at work this afternoon and the mechanicals are good, old diaphram seems to have trapped moisture helping the assembly to "freeze" up, of course the pot metal/aluminum alloy used in the hub itself tends to corrode easily kind of like the hubs on the older Rangers/Bronco II's that used to swell up to the point they wouldn't pull through the center of the rims.
Any opinion on the transfer case electric motor??? Mine is junk, would love to convert to a manual shifter,though it would have to be a custom fab to do that since the manual and electric don't seem to interchange at all.
Thanks
~Joe

Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah the tcases don't interchange doing a custom fab would be the only way to do it. I don't think you can get the center hub piece separate.
On tech stuff you really should ask that up in the superduty section though, it's preferred and you will get better responses from guys all over the world that might be able to help you.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
iowagrizzly
Freshman User
Thanks again!
Have a good night.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Take a look at that tractor again next time you go buy, it isn't just painted... they split the tractors in half, and hooked them together... don't know what the point is, but that is what they did. John Kinzebaw is a creative fellow... he started from a simple garage welding shop business over to Ladora...
Oh on the tech, yep, it needs to be up in the tech forums. It's ok to ask quick questions, but it is preferred to keep most of it in the tech areas. I only pointed it to Rob because I figured he would be able to give a quick answer.

Last edited by fellro86; 12-04-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Ok, let's make a meet happen...