Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:35 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) diagnosis

Hello: I think I know where my problem lies with my truck now. Sadly to say (and surely I won't know until next week from the mechanic), but I think it's the PCM. The Actron sensor I purchased today would not work, and it was designed specifically for cars and trucks pre-1996, like my 95 ford F-150. Anyway, can anyone tell me what symptoms would constitude a faulty PCM. Would it make it impossible to read codes if it were not working properly? Are they expensive? Anotherwords, will I have to discard my truck if this thing needs to be replaced? My truck, although 11 years old, is in super physical condition. Please help me!!!!! Steve P.S. The Actron people via their toll-free numbe said the PCM would be the case if the code reader was acting funny or not working at all. Help!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have, in your other post, told you how to check it.

listen for the fuel pump with key on.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Don't get rid of the truck if it does turn out to be the PCM. All you need is another one, which you can get from a junkyard. Just make sure you get the correct part number and replace it with the exact same one. They rarely fail, so the junkyards are full of them.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Regarding the fuel pump

Hey quicklook2: you stated something about the PCM and fuel pump being related to the problem. Specifically, what should I do? Just turn the key without cranking up the car? And then should I listen to see if the fuel pump keeps running? I need exact directions so that I can try this and see if I can rule out the PCM being bad. Boy this stinks my situation! Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
turn key to on, do not start engine, listen for fuel pump, it should run 3 to 5 seconds. if it stays running longer than this is an idication that the eec is bad.

do it a couple of times because sometimes it may work correctly and sometimes not.

clear enough?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Hello: I did try the fuel pump check twice, and I hear no fuel pump coming on at all when I put the key in the ignition and turn it (not cranking up the truck, of course). Another questions is: Should I at least hear the fuel pump kick in at all? I didn't even hear it, and I am wondering if I could have a blocked fuel filter. But this wouldn't explain all the problems I am having with the truck like the automatic gears shifting real hard (ugh!), and the bad fuel mixture which is making the truck run rich and keeping the Engine light on. I don't know if there is one thing that can determine if the PCM is bad or not though. Just the fuel pump alone can't be the only determining factor. Boy, if anyone is experienced enough, give me a call. I will gladly send a few bucks your way if you can help. Plus, I cannot get this darn thing to the mechanic until Monday, and I desperately need to be places this weekend. I feel like a prisoner!!!!! Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 04:24 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
a fuel filter really has to be really clogged for it to stop the engine from running. it probably is not your problem.

you should hear your pump, is the door open?

have someone do it for you while you listen near the tank.

do you have two tanks?

yes, the fuel pump could be the determining factor.

we are trying to help.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Thanks for your help. One day, when I am experienced at this stuff, I too will be helping. But imagine this: I think Actron's testing device that was used by Autozone on Monday screwed this thing up. Other than the fact that the truck had an intermittent problem with the engine light going on, nothing was wrong. As soon as they hooked the unit up, the truck ran like crap. I pulled out of there with a truck that I was lucky didn't stall in the busy intersection. Let me know if you have heard of these newer Actron devices or service code testers actually messing up the main CPU of a car or truck. Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
try disconecting the battery to reset computer.

we heard the actron thing now lets move on to what is wrong with the truck and if it was caused by this.

you need to tell us if pump is working, fuel relay may be bad or the pump or the computer.

a general rule is to stay away from autozone.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Sorry about the Actron thing!

Ok, I will undo the battery cable and start from scratch all over again. But I have done this prior to today, and I cannot guarantee it will work. I am going to do it now. I will keep you all posted. No more ranting about the Actron thing causing the problem. It's just a theory anyway. Hey bud, thanks for all your help! Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM
roller_steve
Senior User
Speaking of Fuel Relay, if that was bad, what symptoms would I be getting? Is the fuel relay located in that plastic box in the engine compartment where the 30 and 50-amp fuses are located. There are four relays in there, and one thing that I will tell you is, when I would switch that actron testor to test, you would hear a relay click off prior to the whole truck shutting down. Steve

Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
in power dist box the relay # 2 is fuel relay.

in fuse box fuse # 16 is fuel pump feed.

move one of the other relays to test # 2.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:03 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by quicklook2
in fuse box fuse # 16 is fuel pump feed.
In 1995 Fuse #O (20 AMP fuse) is the Fuel Pump Feed, third one in on the right.
Fuel Pump Relay is the second one in.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
roller_steve
Senior User
Ok, so the fuse for the fuel pump is located where? In the box that is inside the engine compartment? If so, what fuse is it? Are they numbered. Also, someone said something about the fuel pump relay being the third one? Is that the third relay from left to right, or right to left. If I am behind the box as if in the driver's seat, is it the third one? Sorry I have to ask so many detailed questions. Steve

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
they are numbered in the box inside the engine compartment.

in power dist box the relay # 2 is fuel relay.

in power dist box # 16 is fuel pump feed fuse.

i said fuse box before and that was incorrect, sorry

Quick Reply: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) diagnosis