General Automotive Discussion

Event Data Recorder (EDR) question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You forget, I'm NOT one of the folks here that wants his EDR disabled.

Originally Posted by kayak99
Wrong! Let's just hope you don't "accidentaly" go over the posted speed limit and have some dick pull out in front of you who just happens to have a bad back and a great attorney!

Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In case it was missed in my other post there is CURRENTLY a bill trying to be passed regarding this specific issue. It is being put forth by Bono and Capuano

http://www.motorists.com/issues/edrs/bill/HR5609.pdf
In part it says
After 2008 (2009 model year and beyond), any new vehicle sold in the United States must allow vehicle owners to easily disable the EDR if the vehicle contains such a device.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:31 PM
furball69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pfogle
Did you all miss this?
Without consent, access may be obtained through a court order.
Up in post # 17?

It would seem that provided that the owner of the vehicle was still alive after the crash and coherent enought to say yea or nay this would not be an issue.
By the sounds of it, you can say 'no' all you want, but if someoen was hurt or killed, you probably won't have much say in the matter.

from http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/blackbox/ ~2003.
California is the only jurisdiction in North American with any rules on the use of black box information. In that state, the information can only be used with a car owner's consent or with a court order.

A court case in Quebec may influence how black box evidence is treated in Canada.

In April 2001, Eric Gauthier was driving his new Pontiac Sunfire in east end Montreal. His car collided with another and the driver of the other car, Yacine Zinet, died at the scene.

Gauthier told police that Zinet's car was speeding and ran a red light. No one else saw the accident.

However, the black box in Gauthier's car said it was Gauthier who was speeding, travelling at between 130 and 160 km/h when the speed limit was 50.

Gauthier was convicted of dangerous driving, but was cleared of the more serious charge of criminal negligence causing death.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM
kayak99
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Admin
You need to chill, take this as your first and last warning about how your interaction is lacking professionalism with other FTE members.
Dear Admin,

I asked a simple question and the rude first response asked "Why would it bother me?". My thesis was quite clear: It is there without my permission. Does this same individual ask the person in Starbucks why he or she likes his coffee different than he does? There is definately a lack of professionalism but not initiated with me!

Next I received an "I showed you mine, you show me yours". Unless I missed the entire point of this forum, it is not grade school, it is to help fellow Ford truck users.

Originally Posted by Admin
Debate all you want keep it clean and no name calling AT ALL.
I called no one a name and my posts are all clean excepting one reference to a "dick" who might pull out in front of someone. If that is the worst language used here and it offends you, then I do apologize.

EDR did seem like a good topic, quite current as it has been mentioned on the news recently (sorry, I can't give you date, time and broadcast) but not addressed here that I could find however, since this is causing you problems, I request you should simply delete this entire thread as some of the more sensitive followers have taken a "big brother" issue and made it simply a personal one. ( I would have deleted it myself however that function is not available.)

Thank you

Old 12-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called no one a name and my posts are all clean excepting one reference to a "dick" who might pull out in front of someone. If that is the worst language used here and it offends you, then I do apologize.
That doesn't follow the 8 year old rule we use on here. If it is not appropriate for an 8 year old then don't post it. Also, how about this reference?

Grade school is over, Google your own, and learn to spell!
No need to "look down" on other users just because he may have not spelled a word correctly.

If you have a problem with the way a Moderator or Administrator is doing things then please click their username and email or private message them. That's only courteous.

This thread has run it's course. Closed...

-Matt

Last edited by Beast12; 12-02-2006 at 05:36 PM.