General Automotive Discussion

Event Data Recorder (EDR) question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:10 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If one is successfull in defeating it and they are in an accident where the person at fault is under debate, how do you look when they figure out your system was disabled? Probably not too good in the eyes of a jury, regardless of your innocence. First thought would be, why is someone trying to hide the information?

68 in a 65 is probably not, in itself, going to get you fried. After all, speedometers do have an acceptable tolerance, tire wear affects speed shown, etc etc. Now, go drive 68 in a 65, on a rainy day, throttle position at 100%, steering wheel position shows you did a lane change that put you in a place you shouldn't be, and why should you not be held responsible and accountable? Collectively, the information shows that you may have been negligent. So if a person doesn't drive like that one does not have to worry.

-----------------

There is not a 60GB hard drive under your hood! The EDR records a few seconds of data as you drive. When you key off (or power goes out) it's the last few seconds of data that is stored, including whether or not you put your transmission in park or hit something at 100mph.
Airbag deployment typically invokes memory for the last few seconds of driving. Better rip those pesky airbags and accelarometers out fast .

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 12-01-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:30 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/edr.html
2. Are passenger vehicles required to have EDRs? No. They aren't mandatory but many automakers choose to include them in their cars. In August 2006, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued an EDR rule that will apply to 2011 and later models. The rule standardizes the information EDRs collect and makes retrieving the data easier. Devices defined as EDRs must record 15 data elements, including vehicle deceleration, in specific formats. More advanced EDRs may record additional information from the engine control module, antilock brakes, and other vehicle systems. Federal rules outline as many as 30 extra data elements that advanced EDRs must log. Vehicle manufacturers must publicly share information about how to download EDR data, and they have to include a statement in the owner's manual telling consumers that their vehicle has an EDR.

3. What data do EDRs record?

All EDRs must record:

* Change in forward crash speed
* Maximum change in forward crash speed
* Time from beginning of crash at which the maximum change in forward crash speed occurs
* Speed vehicle was traveling
* Engine throttle (Was the accelerator pressed?)
* Brake use (Was the brake applied?)
* Ignition cycle, crash (number of times the engine had been started prior to the crash)
* Ignition cycle, download (number of times the engine had been started prior to downloading the EDR data)
* Safety belt status, driver
* Frontal airbag warning lamp, on/off
* Driver frontal airbag deployment, time to deploy for a single stage airbag, or time to first stage deployment for a multistage airbag
* Right front passenger frontal airbag deployment, time to deploy
* How many crash events?
* Time between two crash events, if applicable
* Did the EDR complete the recording?

5. What vehicles have EDRs? NHTSA estimates that about 64 percent of 2005 model passenger vehicles have the devices. General Motors, Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Suzuki voluntarily equip all of their vehicles with EDRs, according to NHTSA's estimates.

9. Who owns the data and who has access? EDRs and the data they store belong to vehicle owners. Police, insurers, researchers, automakers, and others may gain access to the data with owner consent. Without consent, access may be obtained through a court order.

Looks like you can't.
http://autos.aol.com/article/general...23203209990001
How can I remove or disable the EDR?
You can't. The data produced come from various vehicle sensors, such as the anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control. The data recording function is so thoroughly integrated into a car's electronics that there is no way to completely disable it without also disabling safety features in a way that would violate federal law.

Don't like them? Find a way to support this bill then.
http://www.motorists.com/issues/edrs/bill/HR5609.pdf
In part it says
After 2008 (2009 model year and beyond), any new vehicle sold in the United States must allow vehicle owners to easily disable the EDR if the vehicle contains such a device.

Last edited by CAFordDude; 12-01-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kayak99
What does get me is that not one person has actually answered my question but you, for one, offers an opinion not asked.
Your on a public forum.

One day when your faithful government sticks a tracking device under your skin, monitors your calls and records your every move perhaps you will decide that might be a bit much!
Kind of a big leap don't you think?
Oops, I forgot, they already monitor calls and your cell phone has a tracking device!
You don't want the tracking on your cell phone on? then turn it off, it unlike this is a simple procedure

These devices have been used against people without their permission. So, if I have an accident, and it records I was going say 68 in a 65 zone, do you not think the opposing attorney will treat me as a criminal for speeding ? Damn right they will.
Show your sources. I showed you mine. or is this simply your opinion?

Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bryyce62
There is not a 60GB hard drive under your hood! The EDR records a few seconds of data as you drive. When you key off (or power goes out) it's the last few seconds of data that is stored, including whether or not you put your transmission in park or hit something at 100mph.

You don't need one. All they need to do is add a few gig of non-volitile ram to the system. Non-volitile ram would not loose its data if power is lost, so even if the car crashed and lost battery power, the data stored there would still be there.

A lot of you are talking like it's a seperate module in the wiring harness. It's very possible that it is actually a routine in the program of the ECM that runs the whole car. As such, it would be impossible to disable without disassembling the code, rewriting the code to exclude recording functions, and then recompiling it to the ECM.

Seems you have two choices, lobby your reps to not legislate a recording function in your car (fat chance competing against the lobbying efforts of insurance companies). Or buy old cars.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAFordDude
Kind of a big leap don't you think?
Not realy. The interstate was not built all at once but rather one linear foot at a time. Will it happen next week or next year? I doubt it. But I would not put it past the government to try it within the decades to come. The government has a tendency to track all of us. The technology to implant chips in humans is already in place. And the USDA wants to make in mandatory in pets and livestock within the next two years. The state of Wisconsin already has a mandatory program for livestock.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
kayak99
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bryyce62
Stay on the right side of the law and there should be no need to check your EDR.

Wrong! Let's just hope you don't "accidentaly" go over the posted speed limit and have some dick pull out in front of you who just happens to have a bad back and a great attorney!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
kayak99
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CAFordDude

Show your sources. I showed you mine.
Grade school is over, Google your own, and learn to spell!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,295 Posts
First of all, I don't know where people get the idea that they have some "right to privacy" about their behavior on PUBLIC roads. Your privacy "rights" in a car are pretty slim, and you should have NO EXPECTATION of privacy when it comes to how you drive. You are doing it in public, in full view of those around you.

It it about time to remove the word "accident" from most of the reports of car crashes. MADD is trying to focus on this when it comes to drunk driving. It's no "accident" when you cause a crash by drinking.

Ditto speeding, improper lane change, following to close, too fast in fog, too fast at night, improper equipment (I love the guy last year referring to "..the other junk on the road..." in a post where he also talked about how his own truck had a broken spring, no shocks and bald tires....) and a host of other things.

So the EDR will tell the tale, and if you are at fault, if there is any proper progression in the law, you will be held civilly and criminally liable. That means if you are speeding in your jacked up bald tired whatever mobile, and you go over the centerline and kill an oncoming motorist, YOU SHOULD GO TO JAIL FOR 25 YEARS OR SO....

So if the EDR puts a crimp on the way you drive, perhaps you should attend a driving school and learn how to comply with the rules of the road. Then go race go-karts on the weekend to take care of your other urges.

Nobody fought and died so you could drive around any way you like without anyone making you answer for it. Plenty of people have died because of people driving around any way they like, and it's about time there was a greater level of responsibilty brought to the driver. (vs. blaming the vehicle such as Audi & Ford and others have experienced)

Last edited by 85e150; 12-01-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
WOW! What a response. The simple fact is that you have NO basis to back up your wild accusations. Don't be mad because I do my research and you choose not to, hoping no one will challenge you.

Thought we were having an adult conversation but I guess not.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Okay so using this logic when the police want to search your house (with out a warrant) whenever they desire and trash it in the process you should have no problem? Right? If you do have a problem you are a criminal who is hiding something and should be put away.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
edgl
Elder User
Big Brother is here. George Orwell was right in his book "1984"

Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Originally Posted by edgl
Big Brother is here. George Orwell was right in his book "1984"
George Orwell is rolling over in his grave. Even he could not predict the tyrannical tendencies of the US Govt.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you all miss this?

9. Who owns the data and who has access? EDRs and the data they store belong to vehicle owners. Police, insurers, researchers, automakers, and others may gain access to the data with owner consent. Without consent, access may be obtained through a court order.
Up in post # 17?

It would seem that provided that the owner of the vehicle was still alive after the crash and coherent enought to say yea or nay this would not be an issue. I know all about phone taps, tracking devices, and other such things. The gov't has been doing to many people for many years. The fact is that if you t-bone some yahoo that was doing 100mph and ran a stop sign the EDR would PROVE your innocence. At the same time if YOU were that yahoo it would prove your guilt. Me thinks that those that really don't like them are bad drivers. No offence intended, but if we want FAIR justice and insurance rates I think the EDR is the way to go.

Oh, and if you have a GPS nav system or satellite radio, then why would you complain about an EDR? The GPS and the satellite radio both track your position.

Last edited by pfogle; 12-02-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Satellite radio and GPS Nav systems are optional, that is the base of this debate. not whether or not it is there, but that it cant be controlled by the person that owns it.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:03 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
You need to chill, take this as your first and last warning about how your interaction is lacking professionalism with other FTE members.

Debate all you want keep it clean and no name calling AT ALL.

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-02-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Event Data Recorder (EDR) question