1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

EVAP~ hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 AM
codiesvenus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVAP~ hesitation

I posted this in another place but it is saying closed to posts???

Okay, sorry so long... want to get the full story out so that I dont have to go back and forth answering so many questions!!!!

I have dropped way to much money into this darn van... and getting NO where...

My 2002 ford windstar minivan.... yeah a minivan, what do you expect I am a mommy of twins... anyways... it started to stutter and miss at about 40 MPH... thought maybe I was missing... and because I am a woman... most shops think that I have no clue what I am talking about... I went to three differnt places telling them that I think I have a misfire... can the check it, the Check engine light was not on so they said no...they all told me that it was more than likely bad gas.... got some HEET and LUCAS dropped it in the tank and filled up (only had a little undera quater of a tank) nothing changed.... the next day check engine light came on went to the mechanic and told them to check it NOW... sure nuff #1 cylinder misfire... they instanly tried to tell me I need a 375.00 tune up job... HAHAHAH told them to shove it... I will do it my way... went and got one plug to see if that helped... had hubby help cause I could not get there... put it in and it ran great!!!! so we decided to change the other 5.... pffft big mistake... the old saying comes to mind IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT.... now it is running worse than before....

My question is NOW!!!!???

#1 cilynder still missing and now EVAP emmisions system leak...
I already checked the cap, and had it put on the INSPECTION machine to check the pressure nothing... it runs like crap... and I hear the vaccum but I do not smell gas.... where should I look next...

lol....don;t tell hubby but I can't ask him hate to say it I am more inclined than he is!!! and pops is OLD school he has no clue...

Can you help

Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 AM
jrroth
Freshman User
Regarding the tune-up and spark plug replacement - what's your mileage? I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to have the $89 diagnostic check at the dealer - or find a service center that will run a free diagnostic (more comrehensive than Autozone). At least you'll have a good starting point.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:36 PM
codiesvenus
New User

well after I change the wires today, after hubby goes to work and the kids settle in... I will get out there and tinker this afternoon, if that don't fix it I am giving up and taking it to the damn ford shop...

thanks.... this is just making me nuts..... hahahaha.... that is hard to do remeber I am a mommy of three year old twin BOYS!!!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 2001 Windstar. It was doing the same thing you're was. After I did some checking it turned out that the transmission was on it;s way out. It go so bad that everytime you'd make a left hand turn it'd buck, slip, rev up to ~4k rpm and slam back into gear spinning the tires... When it started to do it on the freeway I called the bank and told them to come get the POS.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> #1 cilynder still missing and now EVAP emmisions system leak...
> I hear the vaccum

I have not worked on many Windstars, if this was a Taurus 3.8L I would say look on the pass. side firewall behind the engine for a black box with green caps with vacuum lines going into it. The lines usually break right at the valve. There is a line that goes from the back of the engine off a little stem to that valve that can be dislodged or broken during a "tune up".

When you changed your plugs, I hoped you double checked the gap and use PP. plugs or the OEM Motorcraft. You probably need wires too. Put an OMH meter on them to see if they met specs.