1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang II ifs for a '53 f-100

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 07:19 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts

call me dumb, call me crazy... I'm thinking about removing my volare front clip and putting in a Mustang II IFS unit under my truck.. a good friend has convinced me (almost) that it will be a better ride, give me much needed room in the front end, handle better and look nicer with the hood flipped up... We want to start with the cross member kit and build up from there.. I'm looking for personal experience on this instal...

Any comments, critisism, warnings, horror stories, suggestions, or lame *** remarks will be considered... tell me what you know from experience..not just guessing ...that's what I"M doing..

thanks

john

Old 04-02-2002, 08:03 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

You are my mentor.... What is wrong with your volare clip??

Have you driven it yet? I just got mine completed, and i haven't driven it ( unless you count coasting from the top of the driveway, to inside the shop)....

Robert

PS i finally took a couple pics... more on the way

Old 04-02-2002, 08:48 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

John

Do you actually intend to remove your Volare clip and install a MII IFS? Or are you starting with a fresh frame? I can't imagine you are actually going to re-use a frame you notched for a Volare clip.

Dewayne

Old 04-03-2002, 08:37 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John I have a volare clip in my 61 unibody. My buddy has a Fatman Mustang II setup in his 55 panel. His truck has a 460, mine a 302. I'm guessing they weigh about the same. I've driven his and he's driven mine. We both agree the volare clip is more comfortable for road trips , and the Mustang is better for handling. The Mustang is stiffer and doesn't wallow like the Volare when you do a quick lane change. Because it's stiffer you can feel every bump in the road. I don't know if that stiffness can be eliminated by airbags or if it's bacause the Mustang has shorter control arms. I guess you have to decide whats important to you handling or ride comfort. Appearence wise I think they both look better than a solid axle.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:29 AM
mikejen10
Freshman User

First of all, I'd like to second that "mentor" compliment. My volared' '54 is progressing nicely, thanks to John's tech article, and ready to install the engine shortly. What do you mean that it gives much needed space? Is there something that I'm missing, because there seems to be tons of room in the engine compartment in these trucks?

Mike

Old 04-03-2002, 07:20 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey yall,

I have not driven MINE yet, but have driven others and they drive great. My main concern is the interference with headers and steering box. I have 3/16" of clearance on the left side and about 3/8" off the control arm on the right and some weird angles to bend on the exhaust pipes. I would probably like the ride of the volare better..it is a nice soft livingroom ride but I've driven the Mustang II units in several rods and they do handle better..maybe they could be softened with different bushings and bags.. One of the main concerns is when the hood is flipped up the mustang unit will "look" a lot better than all the chrysler stock stuff. Haven't checked into tubular arms and such for the Volare though (???) might be an option. The frame could be reworked to get it back right and it's already boxed... still pondering and figuring... more later...still haven't gotten a lot of comments on those who have done the mustang and how they liked it yet..

later

john

..... I asked if I was crazy and all yall seem to think so

Old 04-03-2002, 08:26 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User

john,

Clearance problems,, ha hahah aa, I understand that.. i have 1/2 on the left, and 3/8 on the right, had to use a remote oil filter unit, and switch out the exhaust manafold on the right. I ended up putting a 1977 400 in the truck, (came out of a lincoln) and the exaust manifold on the right, would have been in the frame, found a exaust manifold off a 1978 4 x4 SHO , and it dumps out quite a bit higher ( bout 3"),, as far as the ugly mopar look... i ground the ears off the front, kinda made a "wing" look. Everyone who has seen it, has said it looks real nice, but hows it ride. my answer is it rides real nice..... down the driveway. LOL... Probably 2 to 3 months from seeing the asphalt

robert

But in the end, ya gotta do what you do

Old 04-03-2002, 09:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

John

I had forgotten about your flip clip. Yes, the MII would look sharper. You also make me glad I chose a small block. I have miles of clearance around everything except the firewall and that pain was self inflicted for no reason. I still vote you start your MII clean from an unmolested frame. And yes, you're nuts to start over but it's your truck so knock yourself out. The chase if most of the fu anyway. I can hardly wait for your new tech articles.

Dewayne

Old 04-04-2002, 08:53 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru

John I went to the classic cruise night season opener last night. I live in El Cajon CA and this cruise night is kind of a warmup for the Goodguys, Eagle One show in Del Mar. I saw several Effies with every front end possible (I think). As far as looks goes in a direct comparison I'll stay pretty neutral I think they all looked good they were all done well and finished nicely. We're talkin Volare, Mustang II with air bags and basicly stock and even one with coilovers and tubular A arms, an Aerostar setup, Dakota, And even a brand X with the accompanying 350 . It was a good turnuout I was still recovering from the ch*&$ powered effie when I saw this beutiful Cobra. I took a closer look and it had cooties too . What is this world coming to?

Old 04-06-2002, 07:43 AM
PJS55
Senior User

Hey Cobraguy,

did you note any details on the Aerostar conversion. Did the frame get notched or was the crossmember just attached underneath. What was the ride height like. What was done to mount the upper arms?

I'm working on the Aerostar front end and hearing about someone else's experience would be greatly appreciated.

John

Old 04-06-2002, 07:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

I'd have to agree with Dewayne...you're nuts to consider swapping the Volare out for a Mustang II at this point. You did such a great job on the Volare installation. Leave it alone and if you just have to get your hands dirty, consider another project truck.

Old 04-06-2002, 06:19 PM
kdmarty
New User

Built Ford Tuff with Chevy Stuff, just to **** off the true blue ovals. hahaha I like my Mustang II setup in my 55 truck along with the Chevy motor.

Kenneth........................................... ........
www.kennethmarty.com

Old 04-06-2002, 07:11 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Post Mustang II ifs for a '53 f-100

We installed an Aerostar last year. It was pretty simple. We likened it to a Mustang II on steroids. We welded the crossmember to the bottom of the frame and used a 1" thick piese of steel on top of the frame to match the Aerostar's frame height. If I did it again, I would notch the bottom of the frame 1" and use a 2" spacer on top. I drilled and tapped the plate to bolt the upper a-frame supports to. The minivan's rack and pinion shft come out the top almost vertical. Depending on what engine was used, you would either need 3 steering u-joints or could make brackets to roll the rack towards the firewall.

Old 04-07-2002, 08:05 PM
PJS55
Senior User

Truckfarmer,

i believe we have conversed about this through some exchanged e-mails. Where did your ride height end up at? Do you think a 1" notch would be enough. I am just about to the point where I'm going to cut my frame and you can appreciate the apprehension at actually making the cut. My layout indicated 2 1/2" at first but then I thought 1 1/2 " would be enough. i'm trying to determine where the spindle should end up to get the stance I would like. I don't want the front bumper dragging on the ground but I would like to get it down.

John

Old 04-07-2002, 10:34 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Post Mustang II ifs for a '53 f-100

the frame we built was given away as a door prize at the Badgerland F100 show last September. I never saw what the finished ride heighth was with a body and engine on it. We removed one coil and it still sat high for a subframe swap. Not quite as high as a stock truck though. That is why I said I would cut into the frame an inch.

Quick Reply: Mustang II ifs for a '53 f-100