Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 AM
New User

robin22m is starting off with a positive reputation.
94 F150 2WD Front Driver side Brake Line Leak

Pedal to the floor. Noticed brake fluid leak around Front Driver side wheel. Paid quite a bit to have rear undercarriage brake line sections replaced after similar problem (mulitiple leaks with that one). This occurrence seems to be dedicated to one area. Any thoughts/previous postings on replacing brake lines running towards front brakes? Is this something that can be accomplished through step by step instructions by an intermediate level person? Is there a lot of "fabrication" needed? Is the cable easy to manipulate? How difficult are access points? Should I pay in excess of $500 for this at a shop? 1994 2WD, V6 F150XL, w/ 143k miles. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Post Fiend

quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
$500 is way too much but of course i am saying that without the benefit of looking at the problem.

rusted brake lines are a bitch to get out. it is a dirty crappy job. to get the line back in is not as bad.

the brake connections are usually too rusted for wrenches, i just break them off and use vise grips.

Last edited by quicklook2; 11-27-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
It can be done by someone with intermediate experience. Re-doing brake lines isn't that hard. If you can't find a kit, you can make your own brake lines with a cheap bending tool and a flaring kit. Then you can buy brake line by the roll and save yourself some money. Just make sure to duplicate all of the bends in the lines, especially the big coil under the master cylinder. It's important.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 PM
New User

gumbydamit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not too long ago I had to do my 96. Leak on Driver's side, the hose just came off at the crimp - go figure- (also after the rear, of course)...ended up doing both sides because getting it off damaged the metal tubing going to the passenger side. It can be frustrating. Requires some bending to match the tubing removed. I used a drill & hammer to get some of it out.

Because of the rust & stuff, it may take longer than you think. But I would NOT pay $500. I paid $150 for the rear but I was out of town or I would have done that myself.

Give it a go....

Good Luck,
Gumby
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 94, 97, brake, change, driver, f150, ford, front, leak, line, lines, metal, replacement, rust, side, step