6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intermittent loss of power while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
ksubuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent loss of power while driving.

I have an 04 F250 6.0L PSD with 95,000 miles on it. Haven't had any real problems other than recalls and front suspension issues. Motor runs great.

Last week, after driving normally for thirty miles, I pulled into a clients farm and let the truck idle for about ten minutes. As I pulled back onto the highway, the truck was accelerating smoothly and then it quit. I added more throttle and nothing. The engine was idling but I had no power and the WIF light was on. I pulled over and the light went out. I tried to acelerate and things seemed fine. A few minutes later it did it again. I pulled over and shut the engine down. The only thing I noticed the second time was the glow plug light came on briefly with the WIF light. When I restarted, everything was normal and I drove back to town. Thinking it might be bad fuel, I filled the tank and added a double dose of Diesel Kleen. Didn't have any other problems the rest of the day. That night I drained the fuel-water separator and replaced my fuel filters. The next day, after driving a hundered miles or so, it did it again. I noted that after I totally let up on the throttle I was able to reaccelerate without stopping.

Now the truck has been sitting at the dealership since last Tuesday morning with nothing resolved. Not a huge problem with Thanksgiving and all, but I haven't heard a thing. Hopefully they will be able to tell me something tomorrow. Does anyone here have any ideas about what I should expect them to find?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Larry Nadeau
New User
I have an 03 F350 with 95,000 miles on it. I experienced the same problem last week. The truck now sits in my driveway. The dealer said I had rust in my fuel tank and it was clogging the fuel pump. Their fix was to change the fuel tank, fuel pump, primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter and any fuel injectors that may be damaged. The price was astronomical. When I settle down I will have to decide what to do with it. Good luck with yours.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Nadeau
I have an 03 F350 with 95,000 miles on it. I experienced the same problem last week. The truck now sits in my driveway. The dealer said I had rust in my fuel tank and it was clogging the fuel pump. Their fix was to change the fuel tank, fuel pump, primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter and any fuel injectors that may be damaged. The price was astronomical. When I settle down I will have to decide what to do with it. Good luck with yours.
I find it hard that any injectors would be damaged as this motor has two fuel filters on them...

Makes me wonder if the dealer just sees a great way to eliminate it all and fix everything in the fuel system??? Seems that IF you had rust... that the fuel filters would stop it before getting into the fuel pump and injectors???

I would get a second opinion or see if any of our resident techs here at FTE can offer some advice?

Old 11-26-2006, 10:50 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they have a BS flag high enough for this one- your tank is plastic, the tank pickup is aluminum and all your fuel lines are stainless steel

Really, that is prepostrous. Mind telling us what dealer it is?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM
ksubuck
New User
Larry,

Your situation wasn't too far off from mine. No rust here, though they did replace a fuel pump, filters, and three injectors. They also replaced my EGR valve finally as it acted up while they were test driving it. All for the 100.00 deductible. I hadn't realzed what a dog the thing had been running like lately until I drove it today. Glad to have my rocket back...

The only down side was they didn't warn me about the new flash and I about had a heart attack when I parked at home tonight. I heard a buzzing sound under the hood for quite a while after I shut her down. I thought I broke it again!

Though I am ignorant regarding these things, I agree with Beachbum and PSD, get a second opinion, or at the very least, ask them why most of that isn't covered under warantee. Good luck to you!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the 6.0 forum Larry Nadeau

When you get a chance you might want to cruise over to our Tech Folder for some great 6.0 info.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/303583-6-0l-diesel-tech-folder.html

Please take a few moments to read our site guidelines as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

</WMFILTERED>

Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
spikebee
Senior User
The dealer said I had rust in my fuel tank and it was clogging the fuel pump. Their fix was to change the fuel tank, fuel pump, primary fuel filter, secondary fuel filter and any fuel injectors that may be damaged.

<p>There were some issues with delamination on after axle tanks on dump trucks, but like previously stated, that would cause problems with your filters and maybe your pump. If it was delamination, you would be eligible for warranty repair. Fuel tanks, lines and pumps only have 3/36 coverage, (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) so if they were calling it a rust problem they would be able to charge you.</p><p> Regardless of all that, both these problems sound typically symptomatic of wiring harness chafes and should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Most of the time a short due to chafing of the harness under the IDM causes the PCM to reset, it's like turning the key on and off real quick. The WIF light and Wait light come on when the PCM resets and if the accelerator pedal is depressed, it confuses the PCM so that you get no throttle response until you let it return all the way. The SSM is getting pretty old now, but I'd be willing to bet that there are still '03 &'04 trucks out there that never got the wiring recall done or correctly done.</p><p>In Larry's case, I'd find a different dealership, and as far as ksbuck's case I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.</p>

Old 11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
ksubuck
New User
Spike,

which wires would be chaffing? I had the harness recall done 60,000 miles ago or so. From the diagnostics from test driving, they stated that the truck was running low power at all times. Fuel pressure was listed as low at 35 psi and boost at 22 psi. After replacement of the fuel pump and wire assembly, measurements went up to 50 psi minimum for fuel pressure and 25 psi boost. Does this seem reasonable?

I sure hope you're wrong that the problem may crop up again for me, but if it does, I thank you for additional ideas that I can pass along to the tech here. I know that we all greatly appreciate all of the input that you guys offer us here.

Now this injector clearing deal after shut down is going to take some getting used to...

Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Larry Nadeau
New User
The dealership was Crowley Ford, Plainville, CT.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 AM
spikebee
Senior User
Originally Posted by ksubuck
Spike,

which wires would be chaffing? I had the harness recall done 60,000 miles ago or so. From the diagnostics from test driving, they stated that the truck was running low power at all times. Fuel pressure was listed as low at 35 psi and boost at 22 psi. After replacement of the fuel pump and wire assembly, measurements went up to 50 psi minimum for fuel pressure and 25 psi boost. Does this seem reasonable?

I sure hope you're wrong that the problem may crop up again for me, but if it does, I thank you for additional ideas that I can pass along to the tech here. I know that we all greatly appreciate all of the input that you guys offer us here.

Now this injector clearing deal after shut down is going to take some getting used to...
<p> I would hope I was wrong too, but the symptoms are very consistent with a PCM reset, which is an electrical problem. Maybe one of the other techs has seen something different to cause all of those symptoms, but I haven't as of yet. Most of the chafing that caused PCM reset was under the FICM or IDM. It's the silver box on the back of the drivers side valve cover. If you can take a blunt object and push down on that big harness while the engine is running and duplicate the problem, then it's still a problem. I've even seen it happen with a partially unplugged PCM connector (three connectors under the drivers side battery cover).</p><p>Of course it's still possible that they knew what they were doing and fixed an electrical problem, but threw in some extras so the tech would actually make some money. That would be a plus for both you and the tech!</p><p>As far as the injector cycling goes, if you'd ever dealt with the cold starting/running issue that it corrects, you'd be thankful to hear that buzz! It's really just all around good for the injectors.</p><p> Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to spread doom and gloom, I'm not. I just saw those symptoms and said "Wait a minute!" If they got your truck fixed right, more power to everyone involved!<p>

Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 PM
ksubuck
New User
Spike is awesome

It looks like you got it right on. Problem started up again last Thursday during a rain storm. Probably happened ten times in all. Took it in and suggested that it might be a wiring problem. They performed the "wiggle test" on the wiring harness and were able to repeat the problem consistently when wiggling the wires to the #8 injector. No chafing was visible, but they replaced the injector harness from all injectors to the FICM. No problems over the weekend or today. Hope this is it.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Brandon Elixson
New User
I know I am late to this discussion but.... Here I am. I misread Spikebees post about pushing down on the big harness under the " big silver box" on the drivers side valve cover to test for a chafing issue. I pressed rather gently on the top of the "big silver box" and the engine lost power immediately. Is this normal? I am having almost identical problems to the original post and am trying to pinpoint the issue. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Not normal.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Double4LinkDiesel
Freshman User
I am late on this as well, but this sounds like my truck did, was the ficm relay under the hood, I believe 304. Cannot say this cleared the problem, but it hasn't done anything since I changed it.

Hope it helps

Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Pitch63
New User
Intermittent power loss

Originally Posted by ksubuck
I have an 04 F250 6.0L PSD with 95,000 miles on it. Haven't had any real problems other than recalls and front suspension issues. Motor runs great.

Last week, after driving normally for thirty miles, I pulled into a clients farm and let the truck idle for about ten minutes. As I pulled back onto the highway, the truck was accelerating smoothly and then it quit. I added more throttle and nothing. The engine was idling but I had no power and the WIF light was on. I pulled over and the light went out. I tried to acelerate and things seemed fine. A few minutes later it did it again. I pulled over and shut the engine down. The only thing I noticed the second time was the glow plug light came on briefly with the WIF light. When I restarted, everything was normal and I drove back to town. Thinking it might be bad fuel, I filled the tank and added a double dose of Diesel Kleen. Didn't have any other problems the rest of the day. That night I drained the fuel-water separator and replaced my fuel filters. The next day, after driving a hundered miles or so, it did it again. I noted that after I totally let up on the throttle I was able to reaccelerate without stopping.

Now the truck has been sitting at the dealership since last Tuesday morning with nothing resolved. Not a huge problem with Thanksgiving and all, but I haven't heard a thing. Hopefully they will be able to tell me something tomorrow. Does anyone here have any ideas about what I should expect them to find?

Thanks in advance.
I am having the same problem with my 03 6.0. If they find the problem could you share the cure? Had one mechanic say it was a short but not acting like that to me

Quick Reply: Intermittent loss of power while driving.