6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Outside Keypad

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 AM
bbrinkley
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Keypad

Hi, I have a 03 6.0 PSD lariet 250, It did not have the outside keypad from the factory,

My question is, are these easy to adapt to a truck that did not have one or is there a manufature out there that makes a nice aftermarket one?

Thanks

Brian

Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is an aftermarket accesory you can stick on, but it does not work like factory installed keypad. it works similar to a keyfob, but you enter a code to unlock the doors. the downside i was talking about is that if the truck is running, it will not work-just like key fobs.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
EZ as pie! Ford has an rf one that I installed on my focus that is capatable with all Ford vehicles. The dealer sells for around $140 + installation. Go on ebay type in Ford keyless entry keypad. There is a guy that you can buy it now from for $50 + $10 p & H. I bought from him it is literally a 5 minute install. Just follow instructions and it tells how to install for each vehicle and also in picture shows keypad placement. If you have any questions let me know. But wait for the guy I'm talking about. Others sell for alot more. OEM keypad. Exactly what dealer sells.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
bbrinkley
Freshman User
Smile

thanks wiingnut, thats what i am after, you da man!!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:03 PM
usroute66
Senior User
When I got my truck with the key pad, I thought it was a pretty useless option that I would never use. WRONG. I use it all the time, and can't imagine not having it. Good luck with the install.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
jmcholden
Senior User
The Ford one works great, I have it on my 03. Been on 2+ years and no complaints and I don't think you could get it off if you tried.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just remember to change batteries yearly because they will have power to lock the doors but will not unlock them I know this from experience 3hrs locked out of the truck running and state police would not show up to jimmy the door had to call locksmith and pay $85.00( well Ford paid )

Old 11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
usroute66
Senior User
So, how do U change the batteries?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
CoronaCowboy
New User
Hi Route66,

did you ever find out how to change the batteries in the keypad??

Thanks!

-Cowboy

Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoronaCowboy
Hi Route66,

Thanks!

-Cowboy
If it's the factory wireless keypad, go to http://www.motorcraftservice.com/ Click on the "Owner Guides" tab on the menu on the left. Select 2004 F-350, then select "Owners Guide 2nd Printing", NOT the 3rd Printing. Pages 79-82 are everything you need to know (including what battery the keypad takes and how to change it) about the wireless keypad.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM
CoronaCowboy
New User
Thanks EnviroCon,

I'll give this a try when I get home tonight!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 AM
FourbynFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by CoronaCowboy
Hi Route66,

Thanks!

-Cowboy

Let me tell you a story... I found out!

First I bought a 04 SD CC Lariat. The Keyless entry pad wasn't working. Read the manual which described the process for replacing the battery, even gave a part number in it. After speaking with 3 dealerships they all said it was a "nonexistent number" Finally I went to a 4th dealership and the service guy said "No problem" As he followed the instructions he ended up prying the entire pad of the door, this left a huge spot of tape residue on my door. After trying to pry the actual assembly apart he damaged the housing and the silicone membrane that houses the electronics. We then went into the parts department to see about a replacement. Would you know it they didn't have one. Contacted Ford Motor CO and they said they discontinued the part. It's a fricken 2004 I thought to myself. With no apparent replacement availible the service guy offered to have my truck cleaned up where the patch of 3m residue was.

After they detailed it I left, went home, got online and located a replacment (Though not through Ford) I called a 5th dealership and they happened to have one key pad remaining in stock. Then I called the dealership that had ripped the original off and told them there was one still availible. They got hold of it and the next day I went back so they could program and install it. Problem solved! They did not charge me for the remote pad but they did charge me for the battery that I was originally after(4.95)

As all this transpired I diesected the original that they had damaged. Low and behold! YES there is a battery that can be replaced. It's a Ray O Vac 3v pancack battery. Had they not damaged the original housing I could have simply replaced the battery. After witnessing how difficult of time they had removing the cover I would recomend that you be extremely careful when removing the cover as not to damage it.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
CoronaCowboy
New User
Thanks for the words of caution. I'll try and peform the fix very carefully.

Since I just bought this truck a week ago, used, and since the keypad does not work, i guess it doesn't really matter too awful much if i bugger it up.

If I end up messing it up, I'll remove it entirely. I'm no worse off with it gone, than with it not working.

One more question for ya FourbynFord, since you have had a chance to look at it open, what type of latch is holding it closed? Is prying it off with a large screwdriver really the way to go?

-Cowboy

Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 AM
FourbynFord
Senior User
I would say use as big of bladed scredriver as you can find, This is also what is stated in the owners manual. Perhaps a small putty knife would even be better? Don't try to pry the whole thing off from one spot. Move the blade of whatever you use and work your way around. Be careful that you don't dig too deep or you'll tear the membrane cover and don't scratch the paint. Go SLOW. From what I could tell the only thing that holds the cover and base together is the plastic interlocking between them. If you can get the cover off it smooth sailing from there. Once the cover is removed you can use a small pick to loosen the electronics. Remove and replace the battery and reinstall, make sure the cover is seated all the way around. test and use.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by FourbynFord; 12-20-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
CoronaCowboy
New User
Ok guys,

I got the keypad opened and was able to replace the battery with one that was of similar size, and the same voltage ( a Duracell 2430).

It was very tight, and you have to take your time working off the cover, and then pulling out the guts without ripping the rubber membrane.

I then re-programmed it to the car (and also programmed the keychain remote) with the ignition on and off 8 times.

The lock function works (press 7-8 and 9-0); but I can't seem to get the darn code number to work. I am using the number I found on the unit under the dash below the radio area.

Are the wireless door keypad coded to a different number?

At least the locking function works again... Ah well

-Cowboy

Quick Reply: Outside Keypad