Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Automotive Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Posting Guru

pud is starting off with a positive reputation.
can you run a 2 stroke engine on propane?

just curious....
Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 AM
Posting Guru

GlennFordx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Only If you can figure out away to mix oil with it .

No there would be no way to get lube through it and it would just burn up.

86 F150 302 efi aod with shift kit slamming stereo two tone blue and rust
93 EB Bronco 5.8 Clean,Low miles,Shift Kit, Second owner. My baby
04 jeep liberty wife's car
Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Posting Guru

lol yeah I know that, thanks for reminding me. Now....if I would have thought longer about it, I would have thought of that. lol
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Elder User

jgc2521 is starting off with a positive reputation.
unless its a 2 stroke diesel motor???

p.s. i have no clue what im talkin about just throwin out a possibility
Old 11-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Posting Guru

well diesel is lubey (is that a word?) as it is, and you could run propane injection on one Im sure. I was thinking it would be cool to have a propane sled...without even thinking that a 2 stroke engine runs mixed oil lol. Put some diesel injection on a propane engine! hah (that was a joke)
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Two stroke diesels have a supercharger and oil in the crankcase, like a four stroke, a different animal altogether than a small two stroke gasoline engine.

Jim
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Posting Guru

petes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to beholdpetes79f150 is a splendid one to behold
Ummm. I've never had to pre-mix for any of my old 2 stroke dirt bikes. Oil injection is old tech.

Pete
Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Postmaster

76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Two stroke diesels have a supercharger and oil in the crankcase, like a four stroke, a different animal altogether than a small two stroke gasoline engine.

Jim
There are small two stroke diesel engines similar to 2 stroke gas engines. Popular in the model airplane category. Thing is, if someone has one, don't just pick up the plane and flip the prop. If there's any oil (Diesel) left in the engine at all, it WILL start. This has happend to several people and if they are lucky, they are able to retain grip on the plane when it starts unexpectedly. Then they just have to hold on till it dies again.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Elder User

Fordzlla is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm certain you could. Probably the place to start would be to try to adapt the fuel system from a propane generator. Oil injection may need some work, as the oil may not mix with propane the same way it does with gasoline.

You would probably get lower performance unless you could raise the compression and experiment with the port timing.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Posting Guru

probably need a real good regulator to keep from freezing up.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes79f150
Ummm. I've never had to pre-mix for any of my old 2 stroke dirt bikes. Oil injection is old tech.

Pete
I was just about to mention this as well. It's been used on ATV's since the 80's (that I know of....mabey sooner than that).

Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've got a couple extra two stroke airplane engines sitting around if you guys get any bright ideas for making it work.

And one four stroke, but I don't intend on doing anything with it beyond flying.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Posting Guru

thefarelaneman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes you can run it,,,,,,,,,,for maybe several minutes before it overheats from friction and burns up.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
New User

Fran6.0fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
depends on whether the crankcase is open or not. large motors with superchargers are closed with the compressor pushing the mixture thru. it doesn't matter what the fuel is. if the crankcase is open, you need to bring lubrication and that would be tough with propane or CNG.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM
New User

hsif47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Although you have no direct way to mix fuel and oil in a propane system most modern outboard motors have a separate oil and fuel delivery system. It is usually a mechanical pump although vacuum pump or a venture injection could be used. Choosing the correct oil would be a challenge but with the poor storage quality of “modern” gasoline it would appear something worth pursuing.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion

Tags
airplane, atv, conversion, cycle, diesel, engine, engines, motor, powered, propane, run, running, stroke, twosroke, twostroke