Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Mobil1 vs Motorcraft Semi Syn - Poll?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:41 PM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil1 vs Motorcraft Semi Syn - Poll?

I was wondering if it was possible to get a poll going on who has used Mobil1 in their V10 and had oil loss issues. Compared to those who use the Motorcraft Semi Syn and don't seem to have any oil loss issues.

Here is why I ask this. I have used Mobil1 in my V10, and I loose oil to what I feel may be blow-by or evaporation when I tow. And most recently when my wife drove the truck w/ no load (not towing) from VA to FLA, about 950 miles and with a fresh oil change, I lost a full 1 and a 1/4 quarts of oil.

A few weeks ago I shot an email to Mobil1, and asked if they were aware that Mobil1 did not perform as well as the Motorcraft with regards to oil loss when used in a new engine that had been broken in properly. The reply I got was they went to this site, and found that many on here were pleased with the performance of Mobil1. They seemed disinterested in my problem. I am a devout Mobil1 user, have been since the mid '90s, and I am not real happy that an oil costing upwards of $5 to $6 a quart does not hold up against an oil costing about $2.35 a quart.

I would like to start now by saying that over a 5000 mile oil change interval, Motorcraft 5W-20 Semi Syn requires no added oil to get me to the end of the oil change. Towing or not. And that Mobil1 5W-20 meeting the Ford spec for the '06 V10 requires at least a quart added every 1000 miles. And sadly I will have to stop using it in my V10.

Just a thought, I'd like to know what you think.

RustyFuryIII

Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a known problem with synthetics,
Evaporation or vaporization(sp)
We've discussed it for yrs.
No poll really needed!

I don't believe in 5,000 mile oil changes 3k for me been doing it for 30 some yrs no problems with engines .May cost me some $ in the long run but,so what.
Rich

Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I've been using Mobil 1 and definitely see a loss of about a half quart in 3,000 miles. Of course I've only got 9,000 miles and I changed the oil 3 times before 5,000!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, make that 4 times. At 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000.....

Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Obsidian
Freshman User
Exclamation

My 02 E-350V10 SD Extended has been on Mobil-1 for the last 25K miles. I changed from the M/C SynBlen about 35K miles ago miles. I change it between 3 and 4000 and use the M/C filter. Took a 11K mile trip last summer and no oil loss between changes and overall gas mileage for the trip was 14.85 MPG. I can say I'm happy.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM
captchas
it's interesting how some oils seem to disapear in this motor. some of my lawn machines that i used to use mobil 1 in, did use oil, they all now have castrol syntek and don't. in my 05 i have been useing castol syntek 5w30 since 500 miles and use nothing between the 3 k changes. my dealer said don't worry we have lots of customers who don't like the 5w20 so we stock 5-30 for them.

rusty. maybe try a different brand for one change and see if it changes how much you use or if it stops. some of the old dyno oils were like that. some brands would burn up and some not. i think it's worth a 1 change try, syn. to syn

Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 AM
skipperw
Elder User
I have 38,000 miles on my V-10. Have used Mobil 1 5w-30w for 33,000 miles. Change oil and filter every 3,000. With raceing and mostly highway driving, I don't burn any oil between changes.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I always lost oil when using Mobil 1 on my 2000 V10 Excursion. I went back to MC. That's all I used in my current Excursion (05 V10) until 25K. I put in Royal Purple 5W-20 this change because I didn't feel like driving an hour to go to Wal-Mart.

Maybe this RP full synthetic stuff won't "disappear" like the M1 always did. We'll see...I gotta check it tomorrow...

Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
For more than you'll even want to know about oil - check out www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com

Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
It seems plain to me that Mobil is adding solvents to lower the viscosity, and these solvents evaporate, lowering your oil level over time.

Call me stupid, but I use dino Castrol GTX in everything and never had an oil-related failure. Nor do I ever need to add extra oil before a change.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by krewat
Call me stupid...
OK - Stupid... Just Kidding, you opened the door.

I've always been one to say that it really doesn't matter what oil (brand) you use, as long at it is changed at the correct inervals. Yes synthetics are somewhat better for longer life - nut at the 3-5k change inerval, I dont; think they really make a difference. I've used Amsoil and thost it was a good product, I've also used Mobile1 and thought it was an equally good product. Both gave me about a .5-1 mpg increase over dino - so does it that make it worth the higher price? If you held out to the 10-15k change interval then maybe, but since you are still supposed to change the filter @ 3-5k... h3ll, if I'm going to climb under a vehicle to change the filter (filter, now that's a whole other topic), I'm going to just go ahead and do a complete oil change. After all, the filter is the bigger pain in the butt to change that the oil is.

OK - I'm done blabbing. Some will agree,and some will disagree - others won;t care either way... but that's my $0.02 worth.

Special note to krewat - I hope you take the stupid comment as a joke and not ban ban me form the borads... please o'great moderator, forgive me.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkMoore
Special note to krewat - I hope you take the stupid comment as a joke and not ban ban me form the borads... please o'great moderator, forgive me.
No problem here, Mark, I know how to take a joke

The rest of your post is spot on.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
rustyfuryiii
Senior User
I guess the point of my post was lost. I was interested in getting a known number of people who experience oil loss when using Mobil1 5W-20, and a known list of those who don't loose any oil when using either MC 5W-20 semi syn or any other oil. The purpose of the poll is to show Mobil1 that there IS an issue when their oil is used in our V10s.

I'm well aware of the BITOG site, thanks. I'm also aware that the issue has been discussed many times. What I'm looking for, are numbers, that's all. Again when I posted this issue to the engineers at Mobil1, they didn't really seem to think it was a problem, and told me the tolerances in my engine were very loose and that I should keep them posted on my useage of their product. I don't feel the tolerances in my engine are loose, I feel the engine was very well put together, and I DO feel that Mobil1 is selling an inferior product (5W-20). Especially when compared to a semi-syn, regardless of brand.
RustyFuryIII

Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With Mobil1 I was always down a quart when it came time for an oil change, 3,000-4,000 miles (Im lazy sometimes). With MotorCraft im still full when I change the oil.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 PM
captchas
down to facts mark. a very good syntek will handle heat much better with out causeing cokeing of the oil in the engine.
this is more seen a engine with a turbo were the turbo can cook a poor dyno oil in mins. from temps of near or over 1600 degs in the turbo unit.
vw for one has specs that state only full syntek meeting certain in the owners manual . of those specs only a few companys in the usa have oil that meet them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil1 vs Motorcraft Semi Syn - Poll?