1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

65 352 exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:57 AM
woodhd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 352 exhaust manifolds

I need to remove the exhaust manifolds to change the gaskets. Im having trouble removing them. I have soaked with pb blaster and also heated up the manifold with no luck. I have broke one already and dont feel like breaking more. any ideas to getting them off. Thanks...

Old 11-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep breaking them and deal with it. The top ones almost always break as the heat has gotten to them and they stretch when moved at all. Right angle drill might be the only solution to the issue, unless you get lucky and have something to grab with a pipe wrench. I used longer grade 8 bolts when replacing so the end passes the top of the ear. Keeps moister out. If it will help in the long run is yet to be seen.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
The only way that I know is to heat them cherry red and start by rocking them between tight and loosen, gradually moving it more and more, and sometimes they still break.

No good answer.

John

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Bob P1
Freshman User
Let the truck run for a half hour or so, let everything warm up and keep soaking with PB blaster. There is also some penitrating oil called PDQ which works well. Take your time, time spent heating and soaking will be less drilling!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Try the candle trick, it has worked for me. Just heat the parts so they smoke and melt a candle when touched to them. They don't have to be real hot. The candle wax penetrates the threads.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Once you get them off, as mine seemed to easily fall off, don't put them back on with a gasket. Ford FE engines came from the factory without gaskets. Simply make sure the seating area on the exhaust manifolds are planed smooth and level. Some maybe pitted which will mean another manifold. That is what I did with mine then put them on with a little copper silicon sealer. Mine have been fine ever since without any exhaust leaks compared to when gaskets were used.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Provided the heads show no pitting that would work.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:54 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Once you get them off, as mine seemed to easily fall off, don't put them back on with a gasket. Ford FE engines came from the factory without gaskets.
Say What??? Was this on 77 and later engines??

John

Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Originally the manifold and head had only graphite grease between them as a sealer (no gasket) this requires fresh machined surfaces on both. Or for the engine to have sat in the garage for 37 years LOL....

Old 11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
woodhd
New User
Thanks for the help. I might just have to take them out and the ones that break drill out. I plan on replacing all the bolts. There are no gaskets on them know and I thought that was why they were leeking. The out sides are pitted and rusted. I might have to replace the manifolds or by headers. does anyone know of a good header thats not to expensive...

Old 11-22-2006, 02:22 PM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
When it comes to headers, good and cheap are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Most guys who have tried headers on the FE wind up hating them. When I sold headers (admittedly, long ago) the only brands I could reliably recommend were Hooker and Hedman.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:14 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jowilker
Say What??? Was this on 77 and later engines??

John
No, as my 67 Parklane does not have gaskets on the 410. Checking with people on my Cougar board, who are FE experts, all have said they were no gaskets used by Ford on these engines. Now just so I am not confused do you mean 77 and up (later) engines?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:11 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I did was, like has been mentioned before...heat engine up and soak the heck out of them...PB blaster and nearly every thing else...did that quite a bit over the course of a couple weeks...then I took it to the shop and had them do it...no broken bolts and no broken ears...
My logic in it was if they broke while they were working on it...its their nickel to replace parts...i.e. heads if an ear broke...

No gaskets were used as was said above originally....

CS65

Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Flyn66dtmn
Elder User
another suggestion is if you can reach it with a hammer hit the bolt head a good lick. it breaks the rust bond in the threads. if the engine is in the pickup most of them will not be accesible to do this. learned that from an old mechanic and have done it numorous times and it works abot 80% of the time. also i would recomend using high performance gaskets as they are a little thicker and may save you have to have the manifold shaved. also use a antisieze thread lubricant going back together. makes future work on it much easier.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:49 AM
woodhd
New User
Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try...

Quick Reply: 65 352 exhaust manifolds