heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
timslawn09
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater problems

hey im new on this site because im haveing probs with ny heater on my 91 f350.
the windsheild is foging up and i can smell a hint of antifreeze, which tells me the heater core is bad. is this right? how do i make sure this is right and not something else? i dont want to go to the trouble of replaceing it if thats not what it is. if this is what it is how easy is it to replace? hope i dont sound like a complete idot!! ( i know a lot of ""ifs'' !!)
thanks, tim

Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello timslawn09 and Welcome to the Forum!

I think you are in luck on that one and the heater core is pretty easy to remove. You will need to remove the glove box by pressing inward on the two tabs at the bottom. There will be some wiring that you will need to move aside and then the black plastic heater core box will be seen. There are six screws that hold the cover in place and once it's off you should be able to disconnect the core from the heater hoses inside the engine compartment and pull it out.

Your core sounds like it has a pinhole leak in it and needs to be replaced. The signs you mentioned are classic indicators.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 PM
timslawn09
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the help, i took the cover off today and i think it will be pretty easy to replace. i can see the coolant leaking when the engine is runnning and i belive its a pretty small hole. but its enough to fog up my windshield!! again thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!!!

tim