1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

holley carb problems?

Old 06-01-2002, 09:48 PM
MO51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post holley carb problems?

Old 06-18-2002, 02:59 PM
tmn8tr
Freshman User
holley carb problems?

I'm having trouble getting my truck to start and run smoothly. I thought my primary fuel bleeds were clogged because it wouldn't idle, but if I floored it it would run, but rough. I rebuilt the carb, even though it was only 2 years old. The truck will start and run from cold , but as soon as the choke shuts off it stubles two or three times and dies and won't restart I've got a 292 with a late model mech. fuel pump and a transparent fuel filter wich seems to full of fuel so I'm not sure what the look at next. (this is in a '58 F-100)

Thanks, Tim:-X23

Old 06-18-2002, 03:06 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
holley carb problems?

Sounds like it is not getting enough gas, screws in back of this carb turn out for more gas. Did you check the float adjustment, this is critical, check the measurement with the float height on top (gravity holding it closed) and then let it hang upside down (open)and check this measurement.

If all else fails you could have an air leak either in the carb, under the carb, vaccuum line or the intake which would cause the engine to need additional gas. You can check for leaks by putting oil on the suspected area, it will smooth out for a while until the oil gets sucked in and burns blue.

Bryan

Old 06-18-2002, 03:47 PM
darkhorse54
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holley carb problems?

Question, did your engine ever back fire thru the carb because if it did you may have blown your power valve holleys are famous for doing that.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:45 PM
tmn8tr
Freshman User
holley carb problems?

I don't think it's ever backfired, but I replaced the power valve when I rebuilt it none the less. This all started one night when I was drag racing a buddy of mine, I blew him away, then he towed me home.-pretty embarrassing!

\T

Search this Thread