General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Let's have fun with a scammer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 AM
exidenick
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's have fun with a scammer

I posted a Toyota steering box on Craigslist in Atlanta (I got the wrong one for my '60) Got the typical scammer E-Mail:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bkgLight><TABLE cellPadding=10 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>From: </TD><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>Henry Smith </TD></TR><TR><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>Date: </TD><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>2006/11/18 Sat PM 11:05:05 EST</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>To: </TD><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>sale-236817253@craigslist.org</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>Subject: </TD><TD class=textNormal vAlign=top>Toyota 4X4 truck Power steering box - $100</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=bkgDark width=1></TD></TR><TR><TD class=bkgDark colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bkgDark width=1></TD><TD class=bkgWhite><TABLE cellPadding=10 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=textLarge>Please try and let me know the conditions and your own asking price,so that will can talk better.

I decided to have some fun with this one and lead him on for a while. Just need some ideas on how to keep him going. Join in the fun and let's keep him going for a while

I'm sure the next E-Mail will be the typical "I'll send you $xxx.xx you keep your price and when my shipping agent picks up the item please give him the balance"

I'll post the progress

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-19-2006, 10:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
if and when the check arrives, deposit it in a new account, not your regular one, and wait for it to clear. then start with the when are you going to send payment emails. do this for as long as possible. it works best when after 2 or 3 weeks, you start threatening to report him to whomever for nonpayment of a commitment to purchase. by now, you will have been notified by the bank that the check or money order was fake, but you can still string him along, telling him you are tired of waiting for payment, and are going to re-list the box.

i strung one scammer on for 4 months this way.
then i got tired of him, and let him in on the joke, and that he was reported to the post office, FBI CIA, interpol, then i blocked his name from my email list.

Last edited by TigerDan; 11-19-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Language
Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Make him send you something where it costs money out of his pocket by Express Mail. Get the check, say you deposited it, and they said it was "isf" and could he send the money via Western Union instead.

I use to get somewhat amused playing with these people, just do not have the time.

http://www.419eater.com/

Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by exidenick
....Just need some ideas on how to keep him going.
Ideas? You want some ideas???

Ideas GALORE:
BustedupCowgirl.com
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="bkgDark" width="1">
</td><td class="bkgWhite"><table cellpadding="10" height="76" width="522"><tbody><tr><td class="textLarge">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>