1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Color pic of my 56 in 67

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:43 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Color pic of my 56 in 67

One of my aunts found a picture of our truck taken in 1967. Thought I'd share it as it shows the color of the original seat cover and might help somebody's restoration. The seat covers themselves were that vinyl weaved stuff that looked striped up close. I'll probably duplicate the theme by choosing a burgandy colored leather or leatherette for the sides and a lighter saddle colored leather for the seat pad and seat back.

The dog in the picture was "Rebel"....a great animal and my constant companion until the mid 70's. Sure miss that guy...

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Lucky you! I asked all my aunts and uncles if they have pictures of Grandpa's truck. The only one I have is one where the truck is inthe background of a family reunion where one of my cousins is using the tailgate as a table but it is dark (taken in the woods) and not a good pic.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F250ROB--That is the exact bench seat -color and all that I am looking for .My first 56 had that seat and I want to replicate it for this 56.I found 1 in Franklin Pa.,but they won't sell it .I really like the pictire.I have 3 dogs and they all travel and specially the 56.I have pics from the early 70s when dad had the 56 first as our family machine shop truck.I want to locate that old 56 and buy her back.That seat brings back old memories-1st drive/1st date/1st kiss/1st beer/1st in wrenchin---Bill

Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
F250Rob,

Geat picture! I bet it brings back a lot of memories.

I've been looking for a picture of my F-2 for a long time. My dad bought back in the '69 to use for his auto repair business. I know I have seen B&W pictures of it years ago but haven't been able to find any. My dad died in '91 and my mom this last spring so as we're going through their stuff I am having everyone keep their eyes open for any pictures of the old truck. I think it would be so cool to have a picture of my dad standing next to the truck, just like the one in the Ford truck commercial.

http://media.freep.com/video/2006/fo...intage0816.swf

Old 11-19-2006, 01:55 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I am into enlarging pictures of my cars/trucks for my barn.I built a 24x34 two floor barn and have pictures of my 1st 56 f100 and my dogs and siblings.I also have 69roadrunner 6pacs and elcamino and I still go crazy when my sisters find yet another pic of my 56.The 1 I like best is when grandpa and I went to get manure at a friends and I stabbed the pitchfork right thru the spare tire mounted in the bed---he looked at me and said(WELL WE BETTER NOT GET A FLAT) and laughed.I was 15 and just foaming at the mouth to be able to drive the 3 on the tree.Dad would let me on the way to our machine shop in OHIO and then I got the truck for my own.-One night mom and dad borrowed the 56 for a load from 1 shop to the other.I had e.t. mag wheels and a 8trck tape player in it and it was COOL.When dad said--I am takin the 56 I was almost ready to cry,cause he would get it dirty,or some stupid thing.So mom and dad left and when they got to stuthers,ohio a car load of teen agers pulled up in amuscle car and were peeling out,and yelling and DAD got pissed and peeled out through the redlight just to get away.MOM was scared---then I had a 8 track mounted on the door in front of the window crank--mounted it there as to stop my buddies from screwing with the music!!!-When dad peeled out-his elbow hit the 8 track and pushed in DEEP PURPLE-SPACE TRUCKIN and you know it was set loud as hell and the muscle car-camaro-I think pulled up and gave DAD and MOM the peace sign--cause they looked COOL peeling out and jammin to deep purple and cruisin with mag wheels.Mom is gone now and Dad and us kids still tease him of his drag racing the old 56.--sorry for the long story guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Bill,

I am sure the stories that come with these old trucks could fill a book. A while back a woman asked the guys on the board to submit their stories for a book she was going to write. I gave her the short version of the story of my truck and she compiled the book with many stories from the guys on this board. I have the copy at home , it's called "Tough Time", by Judy Scott . I know I have quite a few stories with my old truck from when my dad bought when I was seven to the present, almost 40 years later. That's all part of the lure of these old beat up rust buckets. I would never have invested half the time or money that did if my truck didn't have the sentimental it has for me.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A friend just sent me this today, a picture of his uncle's brand new '53. The uncle was a farmer so it didn't take long to get dirty, I'm sure. Check the fit of the hood and fenders, it was well built!

edit: WHile I was typing he sent this one of the Rock Island Lines shop where his grandpa used to work. At the turn of the century it was the world's largest rail hub.... A little off topic, but pretty awesome!

Attached Images   

Last edited by ALBUQ F-1; 11-19-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Fantastic pics everyone.

Thanks for sharing them
Bobby

Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Bob, i have a copy of Judy Scott's book... she chose my story to open her book with sort of like the featured truck.

Hey, why can't I see the pictures? All I see is an empty box with the words "attached image" written there! How can I see these pics?

still hoping to find a pic of my grandpa with his/my truck. I have plenty of pics of his John Deeres as we were getting in tobacco. The truck was always there in the field used to haul the lath that the tobacco was speared on but no pics of the truck found!
abe

Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
ABE TELL ME HOW THE TOBACCO WAS HAULED IN.I never saw the tobacco crop,but my truck was a tobacco truck,and when I bought it,it was thick with tobacco in it and on bed.How do they haul the tobacco?BILL

Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
There are two pictures of Willard, my 49 in original Chrome Yellow in my gallery that I took in the late 70's shortly after I bought him.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
ABE TELL ME HOW THE TOBACCO WAS HAULED IN.I never saw the tobacco crop,but my truck was a tobacco truck,and when I bought it,it was thick with tobacco in it and on bed.How do they haul the tobacco?BILL
here are some links of pictures I found that look like the way we got tobacco in, in Lancaster County, PA. The picture of the iron wheeled wagon most looks like the wagons Grandpa used. Sometimes we simply used a flatbed wagon and laid the tobacco already strung on the lath flat on teh wagon. It then went ot the tobacco shed to be handed up high into the tobacco shed, where it remained until winter whent he leaves were stripped in the stripping room, baled and then sent to the market for auction. It was a year round job as the seeds were planted in the spring and then the plants transplanted in late spring or early summer. Some of the old pics are neat as you can see vintage tractors and old trucks.
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/maga...ll05/down.html

http://www.cropsoil.uga.edu/research/slides/Old%20Farm%20Scenes/b%20(132).html
http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/ft5q2nb34t/

Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Thanks Abe!!!That was educational!!!I am going to visit the farm where my 56 came from after Christmas.It is in VALDOSTA,GEORGIA.I needed the lesson before I go there and sound stupid!(EASY FOR ME) ha ha!!Never too old to learn.I thought tobacco must help stop RUST,but I am sure it was the Georgia climate!!!thanks again

Old 11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Now that was how it was done on my Grandfather's farm. They were growing cigar tobacco, I think. From what I saw on these sites was that it was done differently depending on the kind of tobacco and on the location.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I grew up in n.w Pa ,and never new that Pa had a tobacco crop.