1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on board air project - give me a push, I'm about to leap in

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
adgillis
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on board air project - give me a push, I'm about to leap in

Ok, I've decided to go ahead with an onboard air project and sure could use a reality check from some of you with experience in this stuff. While i haven't eliminated other options, I am considering the Viair 400c with a 2.5 gallon tank. I searched these and other forums on this topic but still have questions remaining so here goes:

1. Is it correct that each tire will take (ignoring tank air for now) about 2 minutes to go from 60 psi to 75 psi? I have 265/70r17 on all wheels. That is a 31.5" X 10.5" tire. I figure about 3.3 cu ft per tire and a manufacturers indicated CFM rate of about 1.6 CFM in that pressure range.

2. The above mentioned viair 400c unit draws 29 amps at 13.8 v. the breaker in the upfitter switch is rated for 30. Is there anyone out there using this on a 6.0L SD wired through upfitters? Any problems? I seem to recall the alternator on the 6.0L is 140 amps so I'm guessing this will not punish my batteries if I pump air with the engine on, right?

3. Lastly, I've looked up and down to find someone that is using an belt-driven compressor in a 6.0L PSD with success. Anyone? Will and engine dirven unit lower my MPG any noticable amount when the unit is clutched and not pumping? I would really like to install a belt driven unit but I don't really want to have to do a lot of customizing that could risk improperly loading any of my pullies or belts etc. Anyone?

Last edited by adgillis; 11-15-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:20 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The compressor should'nt run to long so you should be fine with alternator. As far as the upfitter switch, it will not handle that load directly, you could install a HD relay and trigger it with the upfitter.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
SHOVE!

rwilimo is right, use a heavy-duty relay with the upfitter switch. And fuse/breaker it for safety.

That 2 minutes from 60 to 75 psi sounds high. I've pumped up my 265/75r16's from 60 to 75 in less time than that, but that's using a 5HP 80gallon air compressor at 100PSI. Time it, that way you'll know.

The belt-driven pump, if it's driven from the regular accessory drive belt should NOT effect MPG much, if at all, when it's unclutched. The only thing I would worry about is having it running and revving the engine too much.

Also, 30 Amps from the stock alternator at idle is about it. Especially when it's hot under the hood. You MIGHT want to investigate hooking up the high-idle input to the computer to another upfitter switch. That way, the engine will idle at, what, 1500RPM? That'll get you more amps from the alt.

Good luck, and TAKE PICTURES!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
brbsta
New User
I have the 480C hooked up to my upfitter #1 and work fine. Also actaully have all my other stuff for the air (horn) hooked to it and still good. I do have a HD relay for both the horn and the aux. Also I know you said ignoring tank size, but 2.5 really wont inflate your tires. I have a 5 gallon viair and it does it perfectly between the transfer case, and the fuel tank. The 480C jsut to let you know I have mine mounted on the passenger rail and it is load and vibrates alot when its running, since I run a pressure switch tho its not that big of deal.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Both ways . . .

There are several threads on this and you find that several FTEr's have used York A/C compressors on the belt driven route. Taken off of older cars as it is a lubed comporessor. Do a search and look into all the options.

12 volt compressors are good but belt driven afre better, faster, & harder to mod in.

Have fun!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought an old Grover 24" (at least, haven't measured it) air horn off e-bay. Got it in the mail yesterday. Now searching for a good, cheap, 5-7 gallon tank. Slowly assembling the pieces so the CFO doesn't "review" the project plan!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
There are several threads on this and you find that several FTEr's have used York A/C compressors on the belt driven route. Taken off of older cars as it is a lubed comporessor. Do a search and look into all the options.
The only problem is getting a York compressor to work with a serpentine belt.

We're talking newer Ford modular or PSD here

Are brackets actually available for such a setup?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink In here/FTE somewhere. . . .

I am pretty sure one was shown, w/ pics, on a newr model that they fabricated a braket and had a pully setup for it. Like I said they need they need to search it out.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I am pretty sure one was shown, w/ pics, on a newr model that they fabricated a braket and had a pully setup for it. Like I said they need they need to search it out.
Which is far beyond the normal backyard DIY'er ....

Unless there's a complete kit, available at a decent price, an electric compressor is easier.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Huh . . .

Originally Posted by krewat
Which is far beyond the normal backyard DIY'er ....

Unless there's a complete kit, available at a decent price, an electric compressor is easier.
OK, so my point was there is a compressor setup to do this if there is an interest. He asked the question . . .

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Old Fart
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krewat
The only problem is getting a York compressor to work with a serpentine belt.

We're talking newer Ford modular or PSD here

Are brackets actually available for such a setup?
Don't know if there are brackets, but York/serpantine is a no brainer - I've had one on my Jeep for years. PM me and I'll let you know where (don't know the rules on posting vendor links)

Old 11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
OK, so my point was there is a compressor setup to do this if there is an interest. He asked the question . . .
If there are any kits available to do this with a York compressor, please, fill us in.

All I'm trying to do is keep the discussion down to feasible solutions, not "yeah, you can do it, with X and Y and maybe Z parts", using a junkyard compressor from the 70's or 80's.

If you have links, or pics, please post them. Search is down for new users right now...

Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow U R kidding . . .

No, there are no kits. You have to go find a used york compressor & mount it. There was a great thread on this w/ pics and all, w/in the last few months. The results were better compressor that could fill tires in mokments vs 10's of minutes. There were others back in July & August as it seems like a popular mod.

Mounted under hood vs. under truck, and met the needs of all. It sounded like a big project that took time and effort as York doesn't make these any more and you have to find them from others or in salvage yards.

I will look thru the the threads but will take some time. To bad they aren't organized by topic vs. forums.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Talking Ok here is 1 . . .

Here one of thr threads, not the best one but good.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...highlight=york

Old 11-18-2006, 09:36 AM
bigskymt
Senior User
Not sure if you would consider running a winch on your truck. I got a Warn on mine several years ago and have used it alot. They have a really cool winch now that they just came out with that is a winch/air compressor combo. I'm thinking about getting it.

Quick Reply: on board air project - give me a push, I'm about to leap in