1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Legal minimums

Old 07-10-2002, 03:59 PM
slojason
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Legal minimums

I have a 1952 (6 volt) pickup that I am making more comfortable and presentable but as stock as possible. (not restoring). Did the '52 come with stock turn signals? If not, can it be driven on the street in California and be legal without them? Any help appreciated.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Legal minimums

I think signals may have been an option. If you don't have any wiring for them, it probably didn't have them. You need to call the state police on the signal question, but I bet it is legal without so long as you use hand signals for turning.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:53 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Legal minimums

They weren't available in my '48 but I think they were by '52.

I added them - about $50 bucks from NAPA for that generic style. Buy two post sockets, dual filament bulbs and some bullet connectors, run a little wire ( the directions are pretty good) and presto, you have turn signals without adding those big round fender lights.

I also added seat belts. Not because I want to use them, but it just makes good sense today with all those crazy drivers around you.

Just my spin on things........Tim

Old 07-11-2002, 01:33 PM
blatherskite
Senior User
Legal minimums

Good question.

I've wondered the same thing here in Iowa - but I don't drive it much except out on the county roads etc.

I find it interesting that my '52 has only one tail-light and no turn signals (as from factory). Yet the speedometer has the little arrows on where it would blink to tell the driver the signal is on. From this I concluded (assumed) that turn signals were and option that my truck did not have!!

Old 07-11-2002, 01:54 PM
bryanknie
Senior User
Legal minimums

You are correct!

Old 07-11-2002, 05:59 PM
scr8pin_f100
Junior User
Legal minimums

Scr8pin_f100

Hey, I'm not sure about there in Cali., but my travels have brought me to living in virginia, Arkansas and NY....(isn't the Army great!!!) and in all those stated, the law is if the vehicle didn't come stock with them, then you do not have to have them on it now. I had the same question about seat belts, and that's what the troopers told me..

Scr8pin_f100

Old 07-12-2002, 08:57 AM
slojason
Freshman User
Post Legal minimums

Follow up to my first post. Thanks to all who participated. I lifted the following directly from the California DMV web-site. It appears to exempt any vehicle year from 1957 back.

Turn Signal System

24951. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

(1) Motor trucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.

(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.

(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.

(c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

Amended Ch. 475, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

Old 07-13-2002, 09:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Legal minimums

I really think I would install basic safety equipment like turn signals if you intend to drive on a regular basis. You may be legally correct to omit them but it won't matter much when some night a Ford Superduty slams into your passenger door where someone you care a lot about may be riding. Just my 2 cents.

Dewayne

Old 07-14-2002, 01:15 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,337 Posts
Legal minimums

Old 07-14-2002, 09:25 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legal minimums

jeez, what a horrible thought...........what the hell, I ride alone.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:10 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Legal minimums

Sorry if I am preaching and sound like Mr Safety but I ran a tow truck for a few years. I have seen a few too many face prints in windshields during LOW speed collisions. The dash padding on our old trucks is a little thin.

Dewayne

Old 07-15-2002, 06:56 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Legal minimums

Nah Dewayne, you're not preaching. And 55forder, you have to go with what's comfortable for you. Remember, we're talking legal or illegal, not right or wrong, and certainly not smart or dumb (just take a look at some of the other laws on the books ).

55forder, I live in a rural area of Ohio that's developing quickly and there are a quite a few older vehicles around that don't have signals or they aren't working. Traffic is increasing very fast on the narrow country roads. I'm getting a little older and I have to say it's hard for me to see what the other drivers intend sometimes even if they use hand signals. Maybe you could use some removable units (magnetic) to help guys like me out when you're driving around and not showing the vehicle?

WRT seat belts, I do SCCA autocross and have seen my share of "Judy Stops" - guys on the binders REAL hard after missing a cone. Only took me once at about 15 MPH to realize how hard I'd have hit my truck's steering wheel under the same conditions with no harness. Actually bruised my shoulder. 'Course my truck's brakes and tires aren't quite as good as my autocrosser - but hitting another vehicle or bridge abutment slows you down pretty fast even in a pickup with skinny tires and drum brakes all 'round.

Whatever you decide, happy trucking and drive safely.

George

Search this Thread