Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior User

steve81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
canopy removal?

Has anyone rigged up a pulley system in their garage or shop that would allow one person to remove the canopy off their truck? Is there something like this available to buy?

I have a Snug-Top canopy on my Super Duty and that thing is heavy. I'm not a small guy and it takes all I've got to move that damn thing when I need to take it off the truck.

If anyone has anything to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Freshman User

Maccoupler is starting off with a positive reputation.
here is one of many available options:

http://www.fiberlinkweb.com/specialty-products.html

good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Senior User

steve81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, this is just want I'm looking for! The site says that this is rated to 250 lbs....I would think that my canopy doesn't way more than this? I'm not sure though....some days it feels like it weighs 1,000 lbs

Do you know of any other systems?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Pulleys and rope from the local home box store will work. Pick whatever mechanical advantage you want.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/49...ft-system.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...ell-hoist.html

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-16-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Freshman User

Maccoupler is starting off with a positive reputation.
that caught my attention also...but after re-reading it, i think is says the straps are rated at 250 each or up to a 1000 lb total.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
> 8 single pulleys; 4 above the topper, 4 on the wall above the winch.
> 4 pieces of 1/4" line.
> Hooks to grab the topper.
> Wooden winch or windlass with crank to wind them up on made from two plywood disks with a short piece of 4x4 in between to wind the rope on. Use a crank handle of your choice, longer gives more leverage.
> 2x6 board with a 1/2" bolt thru it to mount the winch to wall studs.
> Varous screws and fasteners to mount the pulleys, winch board, and assemble the winch.
> Short piece of line to loop over the crank handle to keep the top in the UP position.

Don't stand under the topper while someone fiddles with the winch...

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-17-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Posting Guru

Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.
A neighbor up the street has a cradle he built as an attachment for his cherry picker. He basically built a V out of angle and has a couple 2x4s on top spread out a few feet. It's bolted to the head of the boom. He rolls it under the canopy and just lifts it off and lowers it down on a couple saw horses. Pretty slick.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Iconoclast

Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
I have built a couple using lines and pulleys. I made a harness for the top using webbing with three lift points.

On one, the whole assembly was mounted on a plywood sheet, which was hanging on a track made out of standard garage door hardware. This was because the top needed to be stored away from where it could be lifted. ( The tracks can go in any direction.)

corporations are not persons
corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons. corporations are not persons.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM