1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

stripped head bolt

Old 07-16-2002, 03:50 AM
58ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stripped head bolt

Well once again I'm back for another round of questions. This is my problem. I have recently rebuilt my 223 in my 58 ford. Now the problem is that I already blew the head gasket. What happened was when I had the machinist do the work he somehow screwed up the threads on one of my head bolts. I cleaned up the threads and torqued it down. The threads are now stripped. If I was to drill this out what size bolt and thread pitch do I need to retap it at? And if i do this will I risk going to thin and hiting the water jackets? Any help will be appreciated. thanks and Happy Fording!!!!!!!!!--jax

Old 07-16-2002, 07:04 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stripped head bolt

There are head bolt repair kits available that use an insert called a Helicoil (at least that's the original brand name). Go to www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html and all the info you need on the helicoils should be there.

Good luck.

George

Old 07-16-2002, 08:32 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stripped head bolt

One option is to tap for a slightly larger metric size.
If that doesnt hold then screw in a stud coated with JB Weld. Go to their web site for the proper product selection.

Ive also heard of filling the hole with JB and then drilling and tapping but that requires precision.

Since the machinist screwed up (or were the threads already pretty corroded?) will he do the repair? In that case helicoil or resistance welding in a stud are options.

Old 07-19-2002, 05:16 PM
58ford
Senior User
stripped head bolt

Thnks yall for the info. I've heard alot of bad things about using helicoils before. I'm assuming that if I helicoil the head bolt it will hold? I'm gonna try it and hopefully I'll have my beast up again. Thanks agian for the info guys

Old 07-19-2002, 05:31 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
stripped head bolt

i have used helicoils for years, and have nothing bad to say about them...the important thing to remember when using heli-coils are to drill and tap to the recommended sizes, and to drill the hole deep enuff. if all the above conditions are met, a helicoil is as good if not better than the original threads.

Robert

Old 07-19-2002, 09:23 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stripped head bolt

If Volvo is willing to use Helicoils in every hole including the head bolts on they're marine diesel engines they'll probably hold up to a 223. You shouldn't have any problems. Talk to your machine shop and see if they'll cover it. If not you may want to consider a different shop. Good luck, Rich.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
stripped head bolt

Search this Thread