1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fume question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fume question

Ok...so I have had lots of issues in the past with my 95 CC...but let's not dwell on that (because I will start crying again). Now that it is getting cold....really freakin cold (-15F)....the joys of living in Canada's true north, the Yukon...and it's not even winter yet. my truck seems to fill up with diesel fumes (post combustion) when warming up. I had noticed last year as well, but failed to do anything about it...cause I got the truck in late Jan and only a few months to go. I just had (a few months ago) my downpipe changes to a 3" and a 4" straight exhaust put in....still the same problem. Aside from an exhaust leak at the turbo, what could be causing this. I haven't found any soot that would indicate a leek, but the fumes are definately there....my parka reeks of diesel (as my wife says) I think it's a manly smell personnaly What can I look for and would gutting the EBPV or disabling it do anything to help my situation? The fumes lessen, but remain noticeable even when the truck is warm and just sits there....driving, not so much.

HELP...need to fix this....

Yukonsly

Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Check the uppipes for leaks, they go from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo. Also check the door seals in your truck, that could let in a lot of unwanted smells.

If its -15f dont disconnect the ebpv, it is a warm up devise and it probally needs it when that cold.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
As an over the road truck driver for the past 19 years, I have noticed that when the tempurature drops down around freezing or below, the exhuast will stay nearer to the ground as where in warmer weather the exhaust will go up into the atmosphere. this is normal to get more of a diesel smell during cold weather around the vehicle. If you are getting it in the cab, i would definatly check door/window seals.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Huhm....good points....the door seals seem ok, but will check gaps and everythign....never crossed my mind about the uppies.....I will try to disconnect the EBPV and see if it affects the driveability at -15...or less....will get to -40 eventually here. Any other ideas guys?

Yukonsly

Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
spikebee
Senior User
The up pipes are nasty buggers for exhaust leaks. But, be prepared to get new pipes, donut gaskets and possibly the turbo inlet "y" adapter too. The pipes tend to erode where the donuts fail and they never will seal again. The "y" adapter bolts usually break too and it's not worth it to try and get them out because they usually take all of the threads with them when they come out and a new adapter costs $50-60. You might also want to look for torn or missing grommets/plugs on your firewall, kind of amazing how much stink they can let in.