Canadian National Chapter British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan/Manitoba,Ontario and Nova Scotia

What would you like to see in this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
What would you like to see in this forum?

This a very quiet forum so I thought I would ask this as we need to get it rolling.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Canadians!!!! (Although I only have Blue in my fridge right now... )

Old 11-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Fomoko1
I`ll check and see if that`s within FTE`s guidelines......
It would be nice to get more posts in this forum.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well since it was created for Canadian FTE discussion start planing some multi-province GTG's

Truck cruise from Victoria to Da Rock sort of thing.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Fomoko1
It`s a nice plan but it`s all we can manage do is a FTE meet once or twice a year in Saskatoon with the members that live in or around this city.....No one seems to want to even travel more than 10 minutes for a meet so a multi-province meet isn`t looking very likely for now. Some day it will change but it will take more time and alot more work/planning before it`s any where near a reality.

Last edited by Fomoko1; 11-14-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:22 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Truck cruise from Victoria to Da Rock sort of thing.
Yeah, cool idea, except who buys the gas?

We have a hard time getting people together for meets in Ontario too, although we had a great turnout for the Arthur truck show!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i actually jsut found this forum. i was searching the diffrent chapters, seeing what was active, scrolled down a bit, and.....WOAH, theres another fourm. dude, wicked, im kinda embarressed

Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Fomoko1
Be sure to drop in often, it`s very quiet here which is too bad. It`s good idea to have our own Canadian forum.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
I didn't even realise it existed until yesterday. But I'll be back to it alot more now

Jim

Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Stormin' Norman
Junior User
Thumbs down More tips and stickies on making vehicles cleaner

I'm going to tick off some people, but it's got to be said. I'm 59 this year. I grew up all over Canada, raised in Ontario and Quebec. Its one gorgeous country! And I've seen horrible things happen to our air, lung diseases and cancers, old fishing sites where even the fish aren't edible anymore. I'm not a tree-hugger. I like saving money, breathing clean air, drinking fresh water from the tap, not from a bottle!

When I was a teen, I lived in Oshawa - GM Town. It was 60,000 souls then. 13,000 worked at GM. When they went on strike, the town closed. So in 1963, when the labour unions gained some influence in Ottawa, the Auto-Pact came out. AND so did emission standards! The government of the day didn't have a clue about what they had to do to deal with Acid Rain (Sulfur Dioxide), so they accepted the Auto Industry's Lobby efforts to enshrine their 'guidelines' into the National standards. The US parent companies were doing the same, at the same time. The standards were written to prevent the little guy from modifying his vehicle to be better. Most of us have more clues about making our vehicles work better than the Manufacturer could or would.

The trick clause in the deal the industry made was: Factory Equipment or Equivalent, and Factory Emission rating, AT TIME OF MANUFACTURE.

One guy on the Fordsix.com site changed his car to fully electric. He couldn't get insurance, he could't pass the emissions test, because it had NO EXHAUST, etc. He gave the car to a vocational school, filled up his T-Bird 430 V-8 and let it idle until it ran out.

We all have stories about crapping the Catalytic convertor and air-pump and tweaking the carbs to get better mileage. But there's so much more. I can give you links to building your own ethanol still and producing it from Newspaper, enough for a month's fuel needs. Did you know that you can legally make 400 litres of alcohol at home for your own use, in Manitoba. Thats 80 gallons!

There's a tweak you can do to an I6 Dizzy dristributor spring and get 20% better mileage. There's all kinds of stuff we can do.

My beef is with the Federal Departments like the NRC, who run the Energuide programs (not any more) and had their engineers work out all kinds of tricks that we paid for and never knew about, and will never know about. Why get mad? Get even! Prove that we can find better grass-roots solutions.

Let me ask anyone from Canada or the US. Is there one, just one, performance or parts store that has a specialty department with gadgets that we can add or change in our vehicles to make them cleaner burning, to convert the Nitrous Oxide, or the water vapour into clean Nitrogen (a great power booster) or Hydrogen from the water vapour, to burn cleaner? How many of you know that burning 85 percent Ethanol will eat up your gaskets? We have to have a method to cross-pollenate quickly.

Political solutions don't work for us. Even with the One Tonne Challenge, our emissions went up by 35%. Even when Nixon changed the speed limits in the US and we followed suit, it didn't reduce anything. The governments don't seem to want to talk to Canadians who know the 'nuts and bolts' of making our vehicles run better, longer and cleaner. So we should just do it, before they get to 'run us out of Dodge'. The way they're all jumping on this issue, either of the major parties is making noise about stricter emission regs by 2009 to 2011. Here in Manitoba, there's rumours about certifying older pre-80 cars every SIX months.

Funny that there's no talk about upgrading the skills of the testers or their equipment to measure emissions. How can a mechanic certify a veggie burning diesel? Or a Solar-powered ATV or Tractor? I can go on and on, but I'd rather we just share and build better systems. There's enough hot air out there, and the fact is that the regulations will happen, and a lot of us will lose. Our hobbies, our daily drivers, our work vehicles. If we do stuff, and occasionally show them at events, or more frequently, maybe the vendors will get on board, maybe some will patent things and make millions, maybe the Government will finally ask the little guy how he'd solve the emissions issues, instead of telling us they have to study it for another 40 or 50 years.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Stormin' Norman
Junior User
Smile Model T's burned Alcohol or Kerosene - How?

Here we are 100 years since the Model T and we're being told that Ethyl Alcohol is the fuel of the future?! It wouldn't hurt to know more of the Model T's design features (engine, valving, carburetion, spark adjustment) to see what Henry knew, that we need today.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Stormin' Norman
Junior User
Thumbs up Why the 100 MPG carb systems don't work

I had a 1975 Chrysler Town and Country wagon with AC and a 4-bbl 440 V8. A friend of mine had a Chevy 1/2 ton with a 396 V8. I told him I wanted to play with the Pogue 100 mpg plans to see if I could get better than 6 mpg in the City. He said he'd like to as well, because his truck was getting about 12 mpg. Unleaded was the fuel. Pogue invented it when Lead was the answer for the lower-carbon steel used in Valves and the valve seats. Out he comes, and the fuel industry put some additives in to clog it up.

Anyway, we went ahead and did it. My engine compartment was already full, so I moved my battery to the back (inside the rear storage compartment in the fender cavity). The vapourizer works off of manifold heat, which my car generated like no tomorrow. Off we go. I end up with 44 mpg, and he gets 56 mpg. My car weighed in at 5,860 lbs. His pickup was 3,400, with his tool box. Both of us were plagued with the gummy junk that built up inside the vapourizers (made like an old steam boiler out of copper tubing), so we had to take them off and soak them once a month, but we passed a whole lot of gas stations.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
i would really like to hear more about this evaporator you made, sounds very interesting.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Stormin' Norman
Junior User
Here Joe. This site provides some links and documents. I can't remember where I bought the original manual from, I did it in 1985, way before the Internet. Today on the web, or from some mailorder classifieds in the Car mags. Pogue's was the basis for the one I did - A Winnipeg Inventor, patented in 1927.

This company has been doing research and prototyping.

http://www.himacresearch.com/docs/history.html

Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
awesome, thankyou

Quick Reply: What would you like to see in this forum?