1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Decisions, decisions!!! Anyone got some advice/suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 02:15 PM
blatherskite
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Project is an F1. Will have upgraded IFS (either MII or Dakota) and 9" rearend, probably 4 speed trans. My delima, so to speak, is which engine to use. I have both a 302 and a 351C sitting in the garage (assuming both are rebuildable, but neither is dis-assembled or checked etc yet). Being a racer at heart, I'd really rather have the 351 for performance. BUT, being limited financially, I'm hesitant to take that path - I know the 351C will cost more to rebuild/fit to the chassis but I'm wondering if I'm not even aware of all the potential problems. Can anyone that's gone through this 'for-warn' me?? and possibly save me some time/money etc.

I know the rear sump pan for a cleveland is available but more expensive. Similarly, I believe headers for the Cleveland are significantly more $. I realize the differences in just the rebuild as well, but I think the differences there correspond to their relative performances. (I'm not talking about anything extensive, just a slight CR increase on the Cleveland should take care of what I'm after for performance).

I guess the 351C also appeals to me for the simple reason its a path less taken - I just want to make sure how much that path might cost me!!!

Thanks, in advance for any comments/suggestions. I'm 'all ears'!!!

Old 08-05-2002, 02:58 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the 302 if that's the route you want to take. It's more cost effective and easier to do the the 351C. You run into oil pan problems on the 351C. The 302 is a breeze to put in compared to the 351C. You won't regret it.

Old 08-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Ironwolf21
Junior User

My 302 is very quick and that's in an 1955 F-250! I can easily lay down rubber in 1st and 2nd gears.

I would think the 302 is cheaper.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:15 PM
texasbob
Tuned

It sounds to me like you REALLY want the 351 so I say go for it. If you don't you'll always think " I coulda had that 351". If you go ahead then you won't be doing another engine swap in a couple of years. It's only money and if you spend it all you don't have to worry about it going to some relative who doesn't deserve it.

Bob

Old 08-06-2002, 01:03 AM
darkman
Posting Guru

The 351C is just plain sexy! It is a much better looking engine! We know a lot more about the Clevelands now than when they were popular. You can build a sweet motor without resorting to super trick parts and rare and hard to find parts. The two barrels heads are better for the street and are easy to find. If you are resourceful and go to a few swap meets you can probably pick up used parts that are a bargain. I can't tell how hard or how harder it will be to put the Cleveland in but I personally feel that you will be more satisfied WITH THE CLEVELAND. I believe the swap has been done before so you should be able find out the problems before you start. Do lots of research before you start spending your money. Then make your own decision based upon your desires, skills, and money.

Restoring at the speed of a slow sick snail !

Charles in Pensacola

57 F100 adding Blown 312 auto
86 F150

Old 08-06-2002, 08:05 AM
51f1
Senior User

Go with the 302 and I'll come by and haul off the cleveland for you. That way it won't be in your way. See what a nice guy I am?

Old 08-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Craig
Senior User

Give me the Cleveland
Give me the Cleveland
You will give me the Cleveland...
Shoot the hypnotism classes may have been worthless.

I like the reactions I get when people ask me what I have in my 56. It's kind of a badge of honor or something. I bought mine with the 351C in it so I have no idea how hard it was to install. It does look good in there though.
Craig

Old 08-06-2002, 02:08 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Post Decisions, decisions!!! Anyone got some advice/suggestions??

I have a 351C in my 56. I absolutely love it. It will bolt in the same spot as a 302. Mine has 2 barrel heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, Compcam 268H cam, AOD, trans, and 3.50 geared 9" rearend. It gets up to 16-18MPG and will roast the rear tires. It looks like a Big-block.
Now the bad news, parts are more expensive and harder to find than a 302. Late model Mustangs made it popular to have a Ford engine again. Their parts are cheaper!!!

Old 08-07-2002, 08:15 AM
blatherskite
Senior User

Hey 'truckfarmer'..... If you don't mind, let me know what oil pan and headers you used. I realize the F1 'fit' will be slightly different, but basically the same. I'd also be interested in any other special parts needed or issues that had to be resolved!

banderson@climate-engr.com

thanks for the input everyone!!

Old 08-07-2002, 12:07 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Post Decisions, decisions!!! Anyone got some advice/suggestions??

I am using a Camaro subframe and still was able to use the stock front sump pan. The Econoline vans and 4x4 trucks were available with a 400 engine that used the rear sump oil pan.
I used the stock car manifolds but want to replace them with Sanderson headers. Sanderson makes 4 kinds of 351C headers.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:10 PM
dash riprock
Freshman User