6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Lucas fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 AM
busdriver47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lucas fuel treatment

Has anyone tried lucas fuel treatment? What i have read it is a good product. I am now using power service.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Netfly
Elder User
I've used it since new in my '05 PSD. Only 9k mi but no problems. Another 04 PSD I know has used is for over 60k mi, no motor problems either. I think it's great and use thier winter blend as needed too. I carry two of the quart size bottles in the cab one regular one winter blend. They have the nice mixture scale on the side of the bottles, but best buy it by the gallon.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Bevis3
Senior User
I used it once, but have since gone with the diesel kleen now.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:04 PM
gryf250
Freshman User
Whats the benefit of diesel kleen?

Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 AM
dc3655
Elder User
On the subject of Lucas Oil products, whatever you do, don't ever try putting the oil additive in your PSD!!!! I made that mistake and would caution all against it!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 AM
cabinetmaker00
Senior User
why is that they recomend 1 quart in your powerstroke .

Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gryf250
Whats the benefit of diesel kleen?
Read this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...t=diesel+klean

Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 AM
busdriver47
Senior User
dc3655 may I ask what happened?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Netfly
Elder User
Here is the OASIS message about Stanadyne:

0436 1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES, 2000-2003 EXCURSION 7.3/6.0L DIESEL - LOW POWER USE FUEL ADDITIVE
SOME 1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/E-SERIES & 2000-2003 EXCURSIONS EQUIPPED WITH 7.3L/6.0L DIESEL ENGINE, OPERATING IN COLD CONDITIONS, MAY EXHIBIT A GRADUAL LOSS OF POWER AT CRUISE. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY FUEL GELLING OR FREEZING IN THE IN-TANK SCREEN OR FUEL PICKUP. FUEL ADDITIVES MAY BE REQUIRED TO PREVENT THIS CONDITION. PRODUCTS SUCH AS 'STANADYNE PERFORMANCE FORMULA' ARE THE MOST ACCEPTABLE ADDITIVES. JOHN DEERE ALSO MARKETS AN ACCEPTABLE COLD WEATHER ADDITIVE. 'STANADYNE JR.' IS 'NOT' SUITABLE IN THIS APPLICATION. OVER 100 PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE MARKET WITH VARYING QUALITY AND FEATURES. DO NOT USE ANY ALCOHOL BASED ADDITIVE IN FORD DIESEL ENGINES. STANADYNE CAN BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY 8AM-4PM AT (800)842-2496.
That is the only Ford info I've seen on the subject.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an FYI:

Ford clearly states in your Diesel Supplement...not to use oil additives in the 6.0.

IMO, the 6.0 design is very sensitive to oil properties that go outside it's design criteria. Variation from spec'ed oil properties could likely cause a number of issues which could be better explained by our resident techs...Hopefully, they will enlighten us further.

We have seen that just the use of improper oils can cause surging, stalling etc...

Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
dc3655
Elder User
Well, to start off with, like ks5413 states, it should not be used in the 6.0. I put about 1 quart into my PSD last year about this time because of all the supposed benefits. I live in Las Vegas where it doesn't actually get that cold, but the way the truck sputtered after it started you'd think I lived in Calgary. And it would sputter for a good 30 seconds on start-up. Then I check the condition of my oil about 300 miles after putting it in and the oil was absolutely black!! That might've been fine on my old 7.3L, but not on this new truck where my oil doesn't blacken until almost 5k miles. I also noticed a fuel mileage drop, but I don't have that documented. The worst thing is that I started noticing a loud noise on the right bank of my motor (which has still never gone away.....possible injector issue) and that's when I knew it was time to get it out of my motor!! So I changed my oil before 1000 miles was up because I was afraid for the motor! Immediately after putting in the new oil (minus the Lucas additive), the truck started fine in the mornings and everything was back to normal (except for the noise). So I say: Stay away from Lucas Oil Additive in our trucks!!! At least that's my opinion.
BTW: I read that thread about how Lucas oil can foam up and I just can't imagine that that can be good going through our injectors like that!!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Another dead horse is getting a smacking.........Power service or stanadyne, forget what everyone else runs in their non 6.0l powered trucks. I wouldn't even use Fords brand, as it only took them 3 years to introduce it, meanwhile the whole time recommending stanadyne.

Personally I use powerservice and am quite happy with it. It is just very easy to get here, stanadyne is not.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Powerservice has kept my fuel system sparkling clean and water free. I changed fuel filters last weekend and got NO water from the water trap. I always run more than required for injector protection and because of my tuning (not required, but a personal preference). You can buy lots and lots of powerservice for what one injector costs---not to mention installation and downtime.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:03 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Powerservice has kept my fuel system sparkling clean and water free. I changed fuel filters last weekend and got NO water from the water trap. I always run more than required for injector protection and because of my tuning (not required, but a personal preference). You can buy lots and lots of powerservice for what one injector costs---not to mention installation and downtime.
One of the very first things Matt told us about powerservice, you cannot run too much. I use 16 0z. per fillup (averages about 20-24 gallons) which right at or above the recommended ratio for the 6 point cetane gain. What else I found interesting is the grey has an anti bacteria chemical in it, as the white does not. The larger than recommended doses are a very welcomed after purchasing suspect quality fuel. I say this in hindsite, It has ben in my 05 every tank full since day one. I wish I would have learned about it sooner when I had my 03. I had not one problem with water as Tim mentions above after using it regularly in my 03. Prior to using it I was draining my water seperator at least once a month. I used several extremely high volume fuel stops, so it could not have been bad fuel every time. I also let my truck sit for up to a couple weeks at a time near the Gulf while working offshore. I suspected this also had something to do with it. Anyway, you get the point.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
2005X
Senior User
Originally Posted by busdriver47
Has anyone tried lucas fuel treatment? What i have read it is a good product. I am now using power service.
Since this was the orgininal question, Yes I have used it for the last couple months with good results. I had been using power service as well and bought the Lucas when saw it "on sale" for $20 per gallon at a Pilot truck stop. Per gallon if you follow their instructions, that made it a little cheaper than the PS Diesel Kleen, but mainly wanted to try it because of I got a smaller (squirt) bottle of same stuff and refill from the gallon. The small bottle is has markings on the side for adding right amount per fill up and fits in my rear cupholder, easier and cleaner than the DK bottles.

Just to clarify, I use the "Upper Cylinder Lube" variety that seems most widely available, but have also seen that they make a winter formula too. The stuff I use is NOT anti-gel, but I'm in TN so that's rarely a problem. I can't say it's "better" but notice the same benefits as the DK vs. running without additive -- quicker starts and quieter idling, MPG is about the same as DK, perhaps a little better. What the difference is between the 2 not sure, but neither have alchohol, a good thing. I'll be sticking with it unless need the anti-gel in dead of winter... If you are curious, just try a gallon and see, certainly won't hurt.

Quick Reply: Lucas fuel treatment