tell about your favorite Ford truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tell about your favorite Ford truck

Doesn't have to be one you own either..
My old 75 F250 4x highboy , even though it was a definite money pit would have to be my favorite, but my 86 is a pretty good truck too...
I got the 75 in pieces, rusty as could be and well abused. It had a reputation in the area as being the only truck that never got stuck... (until I blew the lockout in my back yard after a hydrant had been leaking for who knows how long...)
I replaced the front clip, cab mounts, motor 3 times, (had the 4th engine in it when I let go of it) broke the transfer case, rear diff was bad, pinion bearing went bad, rear driveshaft blew,heater core blew, numerous other things that I don't remember, but yet I liked the old beast... my 86 has been better to me at least... but the 75 sure was fun when it did run.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My favorite would have to be my old 69 F150, originally came with a 360 but right after I got it from dad but left it at his place it cracked the block so he put a 390 into it. Came from the factory with 4.10 gears and limited slips in both ends. That thing never got stuck either and never had anything but stock size mud and snow tires on it. The interiour was pretty basica plain but worked great. sometimes I wish I still had that truck.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
When I was in high school a buddy had a 66. It was mint, sometimes wonder where it is now. There are a couple in my area that would be great projects but the asking price is a little high. Geez I almost forgot the 66 Bronco I had. I drove by it sitting on a used car lot for a month or so. I thought it was about the ugliest thing I had ever seen. It kind of started to grow on me so I went in and took it for a drive and after that just had to have it. After a couple winters the door jambs rusted out, at 40 below it was not very warm, the wipers would stop when going up a hill but I loved that thing. I swear that if I could have found a couple trees spaced right I could have driven up them.

Last edited by Zip; 10-11-2006 at 06:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every Ford truck I've owned (and every truck I've owned has been a Ford), has left me with some special memories of it. My '77 F250 HiBoy was the first truck that I really felt was "mine" and not my father's, although he might disagree there. My '85 Ranger 4x4 was the only small truck I've owned. My '85 F150 4x4 was the very image of what you'd picture as an Iowa farm truck. My '88 F150 4x2 is not what you'd think of first when it comes to farming, but it holds up well, does everything I ask of it, and keeps on even though it is usually the last thing to be repaired if I can get away with it. My '96 Bronco EB is something I've always wanted to own... a nice riding, good-looking cruiser that can handle a dirt road with ease.

And of course I could go on and on about my Dad's '59 and 68' F100's... his first 4x4, a '73 F100 (no power steering, brakes, AC, radio, or tailgate, single speed transfer case, and a major case of rust) that was the catalyst for my 4x4 enthusiasm... the '72 Ranchero he owned when I first got my driver's license, a 429 powered, Hurst-shifted 4 speed screamer.

Of my grandfathers, two trucks stick in my mind. My Dad's dad had a 1966 F100, red and white. 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the column. He bought it when it was around a year old, I think, and kept it for 20 years after. I remember thinking as a little kid that all the trucks that looked like that one must be Grandad's.

My mother's father had two trucks that stick out in memory. One was an early 60's Chevy Apache. Blue, longbed stepside. Grandpa put sideboards on it and we would go to my great-uncle's farm after he'd combined his cornfields and pick up stray ears and toss on the old truck as Grandpa drove it slowly up and down the rows. The other truck was a 1968 Chevy half-ton that Grandpa got after his brother died. Grandpa was older by then and did'nt drive as much. What I most remember about it was Grandpa sitting on the tailgate of that old truck under a shade tree working on something... lawn mower engines and the like. He'd say something like "Seems like they made this old truck just right for working on this thing."

Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
1953-1955 Ford F100s...after they have been street-rodded and as long as the top hasn't been chopped. I love the style of those and even the 223ci I6 that I had in mine was pretty powerful. Plus..they hold a special place in my heart cuz it was the first body style my grandfather sold and my dad & I just got "done" street-rodding my '54...he had a 1956 before my sister was born(before me too) but sold it to feed the family and needed a family vehicle.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
i love all my trucks, but my 82 f100 holds a special place in my heart. it was the first vehicle i ever owned, bought it on my 16th birthday in 2002 . it took me to and from school, it took me to prom, we had a lot of good times together, theres a ton of good and bad memories between us. the old girl spun a rod bearing about a month ago so its spending the winter sitting out at my uncles house, when it gets warm we're gonna tear it down and decide weither the inline 6 will get rebuilt or if a 460 will take its place

in 2005 i bought my 96 f150, it was going to replace the old truck but i just couldent bear losing the old truck, a guy from work wanted to buy it for 750 bucks [ i bought it for 350 bucks] but i just couldnt do it. i drove the new truck around everyday for a while but i couldnt get past the feeling that i was driving someone elses truck. the final nail in the coffin was when some retard ran into it in january. after i got it fixed i drive it maybe 4 or 5 times a month, it spends most of its time sitting in the gradge. i wash it every weekend and wax it every other weekend weither i drive it or not, thats our "special time" together.

the newest addition to the stable is my 86 f150, something to fill the void left when i have no beater truck to drive. we shot it with black primer so it looks like my 82, i was thinking about selling it after my other beater is road worthy again, but im thinking now im gonna hang on to it, its starting to grow on me.

another truck that is very special to me is my dads old 75 chevy custom delux "suger", its been rotting away behind my grandpas gradge for about 10 years. its what brought me home when i was born, i remember riding to school in it, i remember waiting out side for a few minutes after school and then hear it coming around the corner about a quater mile down the street. i remember thinking that rusty blue truck was the coolest thing on 4 wheels, its a 3/4 ton with a 350 np435 and a 14 bolt rearend with a 4.56 gear, it had pretty loud exhaust on it, i remember when he'd leave the house you could here it cackling down the street, the truck was retired when he bought his 93 1500 in 97.

when i got my 86 f150 my uncle and me rebuilt the 600 cfm holly off dads old truck and put it on the 351, i didnt think of it at the time but it could be said that the heart of old suger is alive and pumping on harkin 2.

growing up my dad always drove a truck, both grandpas had trucks, my uncle still has his old truck. no matter where i was someone always had a truck i think its rubbed off on to me.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:37 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
My dad still has his 84 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel. It looks lke the stereotypical farm truck now, but the only rust on the cab is the cab corners... the frame and such are still real good, so I intend on rebuilding it sometime, hopefully soon. Everything but the cab and doors body wise need replaced, the trans is strong, been rebuilt once probably 10 years ago by Cedar Rapids Transmission, motor needs some attention though. Might just build it up a bit... Had thought maybe Cummins, but with some of the mods I'm learning about on the 6.9, just might do them instead. It was the first truck I ever got to drive, and may have had some influence over why I like the 80's Fords so well.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
My old beat up wood flatbed '64 F250. Got rid of it since the cab was rusting away and for other reasons. Missed it so much I went and found my current '63. It's just quickly becoming my favorite truck.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM
390fe
Fleet Mechanic
Both my '72 F100 and my '73 F250 hold memories, but not like my current '70 F100. I bought my '70 the summer I graduated school, it was there when my dad passed away, when I got married, the births of my four children, and my every day driver for the last fourteen years.

A few years ago it was hit by a drunk and the cab is rotting away. The insurance company totaled it and I've been offered a couple good deals for it, but it's a part of my life now. It's a part of me.

Get rid of it? No, I don't think so.