Rocker Arm Oiling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM
M6EV139445
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker Arm Oiling

I'm a newby to this forum; the last Y-block I owned before my current '56 F100 had the VIN that I use as my handle. My question is this: Is there some simple procedure to improve oil flow to the rocker arms? I've checked both sides and there is oil flowing out of the "overflow" tubes, but there isn't much oil at the rocker arms. There is not much "sludge" under the valve covers, but I have no idea of the history of this 50-year-old engine. So...any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its flowing out the overflow your alright.however your rocker shafts could be full of sludge plugging the small holes that feed the rockers.knock the plugs out of the end and clean the shafts if they need it.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 AM
RCA78SS
Freshman User
oiling

I'll echo what 312 says and add that you should drop the oil pan and clean the accumulated gunk out of the bottom and also the suction screen. Might as well stab in a new oil pump while you're at it. Not much expense and a world of improvement and peace of mind.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
coach101
New User
Question Droppen the pan

If your not up for droppen the oil pan, heres what I did which seemed to work well. When I had the oil pump off to install a new one, I drained the oil and blasted compressed air from my compresser through the hole for the oil pickup tube on the side of the pan. Then I poured a quart through to flush out anything that came off the pickup screen. I'm also conserned about oil to my rockers. I have the heads off to be done because I wasn't getting oil to the passenger side head which is the side that the overflow oil ends up in the timing cover to lube the chain. I didn't relieze until I took off the cover over the lefters that there was a wall in the cast that derrects the oil from that overflow tube into the timing cover through two holes in the front of the block. Conclusion, no oil to pessenger side head = no oil to the timing chain. I did the heads, new chain and gears, water pump while I was at it and of course a new oil pump as the idiot light went on (after everything was fried of course) Must be why they call them idiot lights! Anyway I read all the stuff about clearing the ports in the block but I've also hear that there is an inharent problem with the cams. Something to do with a notch or grove that is often too small/narrow. I have another post out there asking about it but haven't heard anything yet. What do you guys think? - Jeff