Notices

Spedo Calibration For New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Flaw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spedo Calibration For New Tires

Went from stock 255/70/16 to 265/75/16. Spedo is obviously wrong. I'v had these bigger tires for 55k miles and I'm putting on new ones of the same size. Is there some product that I can install to calibrate the spedo to tell me the actual speed I'm going? From what I'v calculated I got a free 8-9k miles over the couple of years with the bigger tires. I'm not upset about that at all... but I'm never going to trade in the truck, so I don't care if the miles add up at the normal rate.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:56 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Truspeed from superlift should do the job. Most tuners will also get you close.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Flaw
Senior User
Checked out the product... thank you, exactly what I was looking for, but at the same time, dumb product. $200 for an item that does one thing, I might as well save another hundred or so dollars, and just get a superchip, and program the computer with the new tire size, while getting better performance with timing upgrades and other stuff... but still, thanks for the reply.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:30 PM
skilife17
Elder User
Originally Posted by Flaw
I might as well save another hundred or so dollars, and just get a superchip, and program the computer with the new tire size,
I would hate to tell you this but there is a speedo gear itself in the tailshaft of the tranny on the drivers side to give you your speed. I bought a superchips tuner and it showed nothing for correcting the speedo. I suggest go to 4x4 shop or dealership and get the correct number tooth speedo gear. I posted a few months ago in the 97-03 F150 forum, and you would need a 19 tooth speedo gear to get an accurate spedometer reading.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
With the tuners you MUST enter your gear ratio and tire size. Leaving either stock will not correct the speedo. I learned this from personal experience, with superchips, hypertech and sniper.