Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

EGT probe placement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
EGT probe placement

I was reading the thread by Matt regarding melting pistons, etc.

Since the 6.0 passenger bank seems to be the side which gets overheated and destroyed, would it make more sense to put the EGT probe in the passenger side exhaust manifold? I'm talking about mildly modified 6.0 engines, not a full on race engine.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:55 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kepler4
I was reading the thread by Matt regarding melting pistons, etc.

Since the 6.0 passenger bank seems to be the side which gets overheated and destroyed, would it make more sense to put the EGT probe in the passenger side exhaust manifold? I'm talking about mildly modified 6.0 engines, not a full on race engine.

Thanks!
On first thought one might think so, but if you take a cumulative look at the situation I don't think it matters.

According to what I've found so far in my research, EGT difference between cylinders or banks isn't a problem. Its the fact that the passenger side isn't able to cool the pistons as efficiently, and as an effect the piston temperature is increased even at the same ambient cylinder temperature- therefore I don't think its something you will ever see on a gauge.

Not to say I think it would be a bad idea; I think it would be a great idea to ditch the transmission temp gauge (if you don't tow) and install 2 pyrometers, one for each bank. If you did come across a cylinder contribution problem it would immediately point to the problem bank, which would help in diagnosis. They even make an EGT "Red Alert" system sold by Summit which has 8 probes and monitors each cylinder individually to monitor cylinder temperature and contribution...pricey at 1000 dollars, but no doubt effective.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Matt!

You had talked about two EGT gauges in another thread awhile back and that's a great idea. I've got Isspro EGT, boost and trans temp gauges already so adding another EGT gauge just means getting a quad pillar mount.

I tow a heavy toyhauler trailer over the Grapevine frequently and I like to get where I'm going ASAP. I also can't repress the urge to pass the competition when towing and smile as we fly on by! Guess that means transmission upgrades aren't too far off....