New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Letchworth State Park (WNY) G2G

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inviting all members

I just wanted to let everyone know that I invited the Ohio Chapter to join us if they wanted to come. They are looking to do a G2G and I invited them to ours.

So this is an open invitation to any FTE member regardless of chapter, that you are welcome to join us. Post up if you are coming and from where so we can make sure of how many will be attending. All are welcome!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
I just had a great idea...

Buy my 4.5 hanger kit from DR... bring it to the G2G and drive home sitting a couple inches higher...

not really

Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed this thread in my browsing but count me in as well. I'm not a social butterfly and meeting new people is always traumatizing requiring weeks of recuperation, but I'd love to meet up with you guys.

I only live an hour away from Letchworth, in fact, my current background screen is of the gorge. I'm willing to show up in March. Is there a specific list of things we should bring? I could donate some buffalo steaks if the schedule works out.

A tubing hill??? Are you serious?? (that shows how much I pay attention to my surroundings...) In my defence I have only been there with a girl each time so for all I know there could be trails and picnic areas as well. Consider snow prayed for because I'd be on that hill.

Jack, I'll bring some tools and I think if we worked out a tag team system for each corner of the truck we could have that thing done in an hour (or so).

Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 AM
John Pen
Tuned
The 25th should work for me..maby around the end of Feb we could get a good head count and figure out where in the park and who's bringing what...Are there general areas, or should we look at reserving a site ? Its been a while since Ive been there...

Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Oh boy, an install G2G!!! I guess along with figuring out where we are going to be in the park and what we are going to be doing, we better find out what the rules are for the park too. I will have more time to devote to the planning after the first of the year. Just too much going on right now.

Dan - don't worry about not being a social butterfly. We will do our best to traumatize you so you will need years of medical treatment!! Seriously though if you get a chance to swing by Letchworth and can scope out a good location for us, that would be great. It looks like we are at seven now. Hopefully more will be joining us!!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 PM
John Pen
Tuned
Im thinking that it would be cheap enough to get a camp site or cabin for the wekend..then we wouldn't have to worry....haven't looked into it lately, but Ill do so and try to report within a week...

Old 12-06-2006, 10:36 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll have to find a girl to go with me to "scope" the place out.

Wish me luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
John - there is a lot of info on their website which I posted a link at the beginning of this thread. I just haven't had the time to get back to it just yet.

Dan - here's wishing you luck!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 AM
dallbright
Senior User
The last I knew, many areas are still not open that early in the season, although there is much more open than there was years ago.

If there is a specific question or area someone would like me to check out, I can run down there in about ten minutes, the winter entrance is about six or seven miles away, and I'd be glad to do it.

Dave

Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
It has been a few years since I have gone to Letchworth and it is even longer since I have been there in the winter time. If I remember correctly, you can gain access from the Mt. Morris end and go to the campground area/Castile??? entrance. I believe you could gain access from the south end also.

Tiny

Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM
dallbright
Senior User
Well, I haven't tried to enter from the north in the winter time, but I know a barricade is erected near the Castile entrance blocking access to the north end from the south end. Also the road is blocked going south at the top of the steep hill leading down to the Glen Iris, which is good since much of that area can be very treacherous when it is cold from the spray from the Middle Falls. I have walked down in there and have seen some magnificent ice build-ups in that area.

My suggestion would be to follow I-390 South to Geneseo Exit,
take Rte 20A West to Geneseo where it joins NY Rte 39.
continue West on Rte 20A/Rte 39 to Pine Tavern where 20A turns right.
continue West on Rte 39 through Perry to Castile, NY.
Turn left on Park Road East, bear right at small "Y" within village, follow to the end, turn left into Letchworth State Park Entrance (apx. 1/2 mile from Park Rd. corner.

Alternate route if Park Road is missed:
Continue on Rte 39 W. At far edge of village of Castile Rte 39 is joined by NY Rte 19A.
Turn Left (south) on 19A,
Bear left to stay on 19A south (39 continues West) cont. 2.5-3 mi.,
Turn Left at Jct with Rte 436 (Denton Corners Rd.),
follow straight into L.S.P.

Originally Posted by tiny1
It has been a few years since I have gone to Letchworth and it is even longer since I have been there in the winter time. If I remember correctly, you can gain access from the Mt. Morris end and go to the campground area/Castile??? entrance. I believe you could gain access from the south end also.

Tiny

Last edited by dallbright; 12-08-2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Dave - thanks for all the great info and probably as we get closer to the actual G2G date we will probably have more questions or things for you to check out.

Keep posting up gang. Good info and ideas. Keep them coming!!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Giving this a bump as this is will be here soon enough.

Anyone else coming??

Everyone that said they are coming still coming??

Any other ideas??

Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
I am still planning on attending if I don't have a conflict with other obligations. I believe that we were looking at doing this on a Sunday ???? Sunday would work much better for me as I am trying to schedule an OSHA refresher class for my fire dept. on a Saturday sometime in March or April. Damn regulations...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
gomersinner
Senior User
Put me down for a tentative "I'm in". I need to finish getting some gear together, do some repairs on the Ranger and talk the girlfriend into it.

If we were talking April, I'd be there no question. Perhaps set up a G2G for each month of the summer at different places around the state? Might offer more chances for other chapter members to go to an event.

Quick Reply: Letchworth State Park (WNY) G2G