Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

member33094 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Emergency Fuel

I heard diesel engines can run on vegetable oil and was wondering if you needed a little more fuel to get to the next station could you just dump a bottle of Crisco in your tank without causing damage?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes you could
Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well that depends on a lot of things. First, what truck do you have. On a pre-powerstroke diesel, a bottle of canola would get to the next station, if its above about 80 degrees outside. However, any kind of hydrogenated oil will solidify. You need non-hydrogenated oil, and don't run too much b/c you can burn up an injection pump quickly if you don't heat it.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Freshman User
Garage is empty, add now

member33094 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Well that depends on a lot of things. First, what truck do you have. On a pre-powerstroke diesel, a bottle of canola would get to the next station, if its above about 80 degrees outside. However, any kind of hydrogenated oil will solidify. You need non-hydrogenated oil, and don't run too much b/c you can burn up an injection pump quickly if you don't heat it.
What about a 6.0 powerstroke, and what is b/c?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
A 6.0 might run on it, if its extremely hot, but I would not risk it. 6.0 powerstrokes have electronic oil pressure controlled injectors, and since veggie oil is so thick, they will not be able to pump enough fuel into the engine, and will probably give out overworking themselves. This is even worse in a 6.0 than a 7.3, as they have weak injectors anyway. In an old truck, it just has an Injection pump pumping the oil/diesel through simple injectors with no electronics necessary, so they just work harder and the problem of the thicker fuel is remedied with a heavier foot on the pedal. Also, in cold weather, the Injection pump will fail. Believe me, I've been put beside the road with that stuff in my pump and it got cold one night. However, in my old truck, the Injection pump was fixed for $300, while a 6.0 could easily get into the thousands, on top of voiding your warranty.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
diesel, emergency, fuel, oil, vegetable